WFP not drying properly on some windows

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Nudel, Sep 17, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Nudel

Nudel Member

Just had a talk with a customer that was not satisfied with my previous clean. She didn't say anything back then and just paid (even though I specifically told her to tell me if it didn't dry properly). But it turned out there were still drops of water on the window which did disappear. I of course offered them a discount now.

I did it with 0 PPM RO only water with my DIY brush. It was a first clean so they were very dirty.

So, anyone else had issue with this?

I'm getting a bit worried as the some types of windows I encounter does leave different beading of the droplets. This could be why some customers doesn't call back, which of course is bad for reputation and business.

Advertisement
  2. Cookie

Cookie Member

Not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean the drops of water on the window did disappear or didn't disappear?

With first cleans you need to spend extra time scrubbing and rinsing, I usually spend twice as long on a first clean compared to a maintenance clean and I see this as an investment. If she is unhappy with the first clean just offer the next clean free of charge.

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

After 10 years we still do a really good scrub of frames and windows, leave them to dry off and then redo the glass only. You can be certain that things will be much better from the second and third clean.

We found it best never to accept payment until you (the window cleaner) are 100% certain those windows are cleaned to an acceptable standard. On a new customer that means several checks to ensure that standard.

I haven't cleaned the rear windows of our house for about 6 months. I did them the other day, rinsed well and they dried with numerous white spots in runs from the top frame. I was using a back pack and my son has it on a low flow setting.

If a customer tells you afterward that they aren't happy with the clean (you've checked each window) then they were only wanting a once only clean. If the windows were dirty before, then there was a special occassion they needed clean windows for.
    The occassions gone, now back to dirty windows.

This is why you charge a first clean premium as its going to cost time to get first cleans up to standard.

4. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

you have to be carefull sometimes the customer isnt just being awkward, ive had it recently where 1 customer complained, i checked the windows and they were perfect. But thinking about it they have been awkward the last few times and they admitted they wanted to cancel. So always check yourself

Other than that it can be only two things

1. PPM isnt 0

2. Rinsing - there need to be nothing but pure water on the glass and frames when you leave, no drips from the top frame, vents or the wall, no dodgy seals holding muck etc.

On a first clean i personally clean the top frames and rinse properly, i then crub the rest of the frame and glass and sill, rinse it all off then stick a microfibre towel on the brush head and dry off the top frame. Then re-rinse the glass. thats first clean only from then on i avoid top frames and vents where possible - that is unless they are obviously dirty. lower windows i tend to knock off cob webs with a dry brush or cloth first then clean as normal.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I always clean the top frame
    It is joined obviously to the sides and bottom of the frame so looks out of place if you don't touch it
    Above the frame however depends on if it needs it or not

First clean i clean everything as 1..frames,above frames, glass and sills then once i have done the rest on that side of the house go back and rinse over them again
    Always a perfect job then

6. Nudel

Nudel Member

Thank you for your replies everyone!

The drops of water did not disappear. I did spend a lot of time scrubbing the frames, but didn't come back for a second clean and rinse. Thank you for your insight!

Well said. I did do the outside first and then the inside, and I should have noticed they didn't dry properly after the 30 minutes it took to clean indoors, and then redone the outside. So the result not being on par is all on me on this one.

And yes, she did pay a first time premium price (hourly wage), which I always charge.

My customers all pay per bank transfer, and I was hoping they would tell me if something was not properly done instead of just paying.. But oh well.

Good workflow! There were probably some dirt in the water droplets even though I did take my time to scrub the entire frame.

Seems like my issue is the second rinse. Thank you all very much for the suggestions, I'll clean them again monday and see how it goes.

Since she understandable wasn't happy with my sub par clean she called a different cleaner/company. The thing is I do some rounds for that company on commission, so it turned out a little awkward when it turns out she'll get the same cleaner anyway. :p

7. Nudel

Nudel Member

So, did the customer yesterday and spent about twice the time on cleaning and rinsing, going back several times to rinse again. Water read 000-001PPM.

They still looked like this.
    20160919_123915.jpg
    After 30 minutes they had dried a little more, perhaps 50% of the drops were left. There was also spotting from when I did the clean three-four weeks ago. This was mostly on the lower 5 cm on the bottom glass, some of the top windows dried fine.

Just to give you an idea of how the windows behaved, this is a door on the same house. The water doesn't sheet when rinsing, but leaves drops all over. Could it be silicone from the mounting of the glass?
    20160919_124006.jpg

I ended up running a 10cm squeegee across the bottom parts and buffing off with a cloth.

8. PJ Bullard

PJ Bullard Active Member

I've learnt that a smooth and consistant water cascade over the glass at the finish will eliminate the spots. Go over the glass from top to bottom with just the jets, no brush. If there are areas where the dirt hasn't completely come off the glass, you'll notice as the water won't trickle down as smoothly as where it is truely clean. If you spot this, then go over that area again before repeating the process

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#9 spruce, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Wooden window frames are going to take some time to come right. Most are OK after a few cleans but we have one which we blade the windows off at the end.
    Not ideal, but we could spend hours messing on. We are on the coast which doesn't help.

I would also blade the door windows down and detail it. See what happens after the next clean. My question is why rain water isn't causing it to streak or leave spots.

We had one south facing window on a new clean years ago which just ran milky white from the UPVC window frames. We cleaned it three times on the initial clean with the same results. Eventually dried the window frame, bladed the window and resolved to try again next clean schedule. If it did the same thing then we would stop doing the customer.

On the second clean the windows dried perfectly. Why? Still haven't worked it out to this day.

10. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

Are you sure its not your tds? thats what it looks like to me.

Try this, when you clean that house again, make sure you wipe off all the top frames with a microfibre or the door so that no drips can drip onto the glass. Then just clean and rinse the glass, if it still spots it has to be the tds..(could be a seal but not likely on wood)

Advertisement