Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Worth canvassing for handyman work as well as window cleaning?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

Looks like I am out of a job (main job) and window cleaning will be my main earner. To get any work at the moment when I knock on doors, is it worth saying instead of " I was wondering if you need a window cleaner?" but "I was wondering if you need a window cleaner or handyman?"

I have always canvassed from 5pm - it gets dark). But how about doing 10am onwards? Would that work?

It's always worth canvassing for more than one thing. As for canvassing time - you'll find a lot more people out during the day. If you're just doing your own canvassing solo then it's practical to keep a note of which doors were at home, and which were out, then go back later in the day (or another day) and do it again.

I know evenings are the best, but I have lost my morning hours at work (main job) and desperate to get more window cleaning customers so figured I would try morning and midday canvassing. Also, what shall I say?

First ask if they want a window cleaner then if they say no, say I also do handyman work- gardening, general carpentry and painting..

Sound good?

Yep, I'd always start with window cleaning - it's familiar and they expect it. Then you can mention that you also do other work - it helps if you can be specific (if the garden needs doing, mention you do gardening; if the gate's falling off it's hinges - mention that and ask if they'd like you to take a look at it).

I'd go with something like "Sorry to interrupt you, I'm a local window cleaner just trying to build up my round in the area - you might have seen me at work down the road. Do you have a window cleaner/would you like a quote for getting your windows cleaned?". And then move on to other stuff "I also do other work - do you want me to take a look at your gate and give you a price to fix it/give you a quote for trimming your hedge". The more specific you are about what you're offering, the more likely they are to take a price from you - and giving a price is half-way to getting the job.

The real skill comes in knowing when to leave it with "OK - well thanks for your time, and can I leave you one of my leaflets?" - sometimes it's as early as straightaway. Some people just exude "I won't deal with people on the doorstep" but are too timid to say so.

Ok. So don't just blurt out " I also do carpentry, gardening etc" when they say they don't need a window cleaner. I will look for what needs work on the property and offer that and ask if they want a quote. When no one answers the door I always leave. one of my handyman flyers through the door offering these 3 services. Maybe mentioning I work in maintenance might help.

I've watched how local tradesmen canvas here,and its targeted as we'd expect. They survey houses and are specific in what they chap..

Buy and sell sites here are inundated with such tradesmen too and they seem to get jobs a plenty.

So,I'd keep the canvassing separate to a degree/if time allows. Go out and identify jobs you see needing done and have a sales pitch/pics of work you've done at the ready.

I'd think this keeps the window cleaning side more professional looking to the customers this way too.

This is the handyman flyer I always leave if no one answers the door to my window cleaning canvassing. (I have deleted the £10 part though.)

Look ok?

I've watched how local tradesmen canvas here,and its targeted as we'd expect. They survey houses and are specific in what they chap..
Buy and sell sites here are inundated with such tradesmen too and they seem to get jobs a plenty.

So,I'd keep the canvassing separate to a degree/if time allows. Go out and identify jobs you see needing done and have a sales pitch/pics of work you've done at the ready.

I'd think this keeps the window cleaning side more professional looking to the customers this way too.

I am really looking for any work if window cleaning isn't needed and you say makes window cleaning look more professional but I hink most people think anyone can clean windows! It's not true, but that's their perception. Surely trying the windows first then moving to other identified possible work has got to be better than just leaving after they say no to window cleaning?View attachment 8625

@slippy that's true yes,guess I'd do the same but widen the net re potential handyman jobs by scouting about.. Customers probably mostly think as you say so what's to lose

I would scout out for gutters,tiles,checking fences on windy days etc..

Have you thought about bin cleaning? If your wfp you'd be half way set up already..heard some follow the bin lorry and get custom as ppl are bringing their bin in.

If only they cleaned them early on like they used to,you'd be sorted by lunch time lol

Definitely don’t blurt out “I also do carpentry, gardening etc”. You need to look at it from the perspective of the householder.

To the householder, someone knocking on the door and asking if they need a window cleaner is perfectly normal, expected and familiar behaviour. I’ve canvassed for just about everything in my time and window cleaning wins hands down for the prize of least hassle for the canvasser. I’ve knocked doors with multiple stickers, while mum’s trying to put the hyper-active kids to bed, in an aggressively no cold call area – and still got a “thank you for asking” if it’s for window cleaning.

Canvassing for home improvements is probably the most hated by householders (another bloody Anglian/Zenith rep!). Canvassing for solar panels, charities, changing your electricity provider – that gets the reaction “oh, that’s the new thing now is it?”.

Canvassing for handyman type work is the one they’ll view with most suspicion – to them it’s unusual. It probably means you’re down on your luck, they’ll see you as some kind of tarmaccing gippo/scouser who’s skiving off from working on the local roadbuilding project who’s nicked some paint from the site stores (not wanting to be offensive here – just reproducing the thoughts in the householders minds – apologies if anyone takes offence at my choice of epithets).

Size up the property before you knock the door – what needs doing that you could do? (In my case, it’s “what needs doing that I can sell as a lead” – I’m a canvasser, not a worker!).

The reaction you want is that they accept that you’re a window cleaner trying to build up your existing round – everybody knows what a window cleaner is, knows that it’s usually a small business – and most importantly, knows that it’s a regular service not a one-off fly-by-night operation. That gives you an element of trust – and trust is the most important commodity you have in your arsenal.

So, they’ve said “I’ve already got a window cleaner” – then’s the time to decide where to go next with it.

If the sills and frames are not getting cleaned you can ask “doesn’t he do your sills and frames? – we include them as part of the job” – you’d be surprised how many you can pick up by pointing out the poor service they’re getting (but be careful that you don’t sound as if you’re rubbishing the competition – to the householder, if you criticise their existing windy you’re actually criticising them for being so stupid as to use that windy).

If the sills and frames ARE getting cleaned, praise the competition – “actually, I can see you’re using a pretty good window cleaner (I’ll have to go and let his tyres down or I won’t pick up any work around here haha)”. It’s not the window cleaner you’re praising – it’s the householder for having made a sensible choice in using them. Flattery gets you everywhere. Incidentally, if you get asked to give a comparison quote and the existing windy is way below your price and is doing a fairly good job (it happens) – tell them they should hold onto him, he’s a real find. They’ll appreciate your honesty and they’ll keep your number as an honest tradesman. I’ve had ring-ins months later when the underpricing windy has gone out of business BECAUSE he’s charging too little.

Anyway, now you can move on to the other stuff. “Actually, I also do a bit of garden/handyman work – could I give you a quote for trimming that hedge/fixing that gate/replacing that blown sealed unit?”.

(It’s a bit different for me – as I say, I’m too lazy to do any real work, I just sell leads. So I have a wider choice of things I can throw in the mix).

Slippy – how to put this politely. Your leaflet is ****!

Much better to have a “Local Window Cleaner” leaflet with “we also do gardening, painting, carpentry etc” almost as an afterthought. To the householder, a window cleaner is a regular visitor to the area – not a one-off tradesman that you might have trouble tracking down to complain about the poor job he’s done. A lot of windy’s don’t seem to realise what a valuable asset their regularity in the area is. Your regularity is (in the mind of the householders) as good as having a shop in the village.

And I’d skip the pictures too. Unless you’re going to go for a professionally prepared leaflet they don’t do a lot except burn up your ink cartridge.

Anyway, now you can move on to the other stuff. “Actually, I also do a bit of garden/handyman work – could I give you a quote for trimming that hedge/fixing that gate/replacing that blown sealed unit?”.

(It’s a bit different for me – as I say, I’m too lazy to do any real work, I just sell leads. So I have a wider choice of things I can throw in the mix).

Slippy – how to put this politely. Your leaflet is ****!

Much better to have a “Local Window Cleaner” leaflet with “we also do gardening, painting, carpentry etc” almost as an afterthought. To the householder, a window cleaner is a regular visitor to the area – not a one-off tradesman that you might have trouble tracking down to complain about the poor job he’s done. A lot of windy’s don’t seem to realise what a valuable asset their regularity in the area is. Your regularity is (in the mind of the householders) as good as having a shop in the village.

And I’d skip the pictures too. Unless you’re going to go for a professionally prepared leaflet they don’t do a lot except burn up your ink cartridge.

Interesting stuff! So you're a canvasser as a job?

The reason I have the handyman black and white leaflet is it's cheaper than a shiny professionally made one so it doesn 't cost much just to put them through the door if no one answers my knocking. You seem to know your stuff, so would you recommend knocking up another black or white poster promoting myself as a local window cleaner and having the add on services below. I have this shiny leaflet which I don't put through doors but give people who are interested-

View attachment 8626

I will follow your advice on pushing the handyman work if the window cleaning fails; looking at the their place for what needs doing and offering a quote. I guess only go down this route if they're chatty, if they look like they want to close the door walk off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I have the handyman black and white leaflet is it's cheaper than a shiny professionally made one so it doesn 't cost much just to put them through the door if no one answers my knocking. You seem to know your stuff, so would you recommend knocking up another black or white poster promoting myself as a local window cleaner and having the add on services below. I have this shiny leaflet which I don't put through doors but give people who are interested-
Nothing wrong with a cheap black and white leaflet - and yes, I'd say promote yourself as a local window cleaner, with a list of add on services below. And don't just say "Gardening" - say, "Hedge Trimming, Lawn Mowing, General Garden Work"; don't just say "Carpentry" - say "Door Hanging, Fences Fixed, General Carpentry Work". Try to think of other SPECIFIC things you can do - eg "Blown Units Replaced" or "Door Locks Changed" or "Sheds Weatherproofed" (I would have said "Creosoting Sheds" but I think creosote's banned now, isn't it?). You're trying to prompt them to remember what it is they need doing. And definitely don't put the pictures on your cheap leaflet - you want it to look as if you're keeping the costs down, and they don't add anything anyway (although a simple logo would be fine).

Stick "Experienced, Reliable, Fully Insured" at the bottom - along with "Free Quotes, Friendly Service" and "Local References Available" (don't put "on request" - it's implied). And you're right to remove the £10 per hour - they want a quote for a job, they're not becoming your employer.

As for your fancier leaflet - that's not a very good leaflet either. I've commented on it elsewhere in detail explaining why.

Hope that helps.

Nothing wrong with a cheap black and white leaflet - and yes, I'd say promote yourself as a local window cleaner, with a list of add on services below. And don't just say "Gardening" - say, "Hedge Trimming, Lawn Mowing, General Garden Work"; don't just say "Carpentry" - say "Door Hanging, Fences Fixed, General Carpentry Work". Try to think of other SPECIFIC things you can do - eg "Blown Units Replaced" or "Door Locks Changed" or "Sheds Weatherproofed" (I would have said "Creosoting Sheds" but I think creosote's banned now, isn't it?). You're trying to prompt them to remember what it is they need doing. And definitely don't put the pictures on your cheap leaflet - you want it to look as if you're keeping the costs down, and they don't add anything anyway (although a simple logo would be fine).

Stick "Experienced, Reliable, Fully Insured" at the bottom - along with "Free Quotes, Friendly Service" and "Local References Available" (don't put "on request" - it's implied). And you're right to remove the £10 per hour - they want a quote for a job, they're not becoming your employer.

As for your fancier leaflet - that's not a very good leaflet either. I've commented on it elsewhere in detail explaining why.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

How about this one to put through door if no one answers?

View attachment 8627

Much better - (minor quibbles - say "every time" rather than "each time" - it trips off the tongue more easily; and instead of "Add on services" say "We also do". "Add on" triggers that part of the brain that says "I've got to pay to have my luggage on the RyanAir flight?"). I'd also say "Call James ..... for a free quote" but that's just personal preference.

Much better - (minor quibbles - say "every time" rather than "each time" - it trips off the tongue more easily; and instead of "Add on services" say "We also do". "Add on" triggers that part of the brain that says "I've got to pay to have my luggage on the RyanAir flight?"). I'd also say "Call James ..... for a free quote" but that's just personal preference.

You're good. Will make those changes. This is black white and will try to make it postcard size so can get 4 off an A4 rather than 2.

Is it worth spending to get coloured fancier ones made to put through doors if no one answers?

The mobile number on previous flyers was my spare mobile with a giff gaff message on the answering machine and as not my personal number didn't get back to customers very quickly. Shall I just use my main mobile phone number? Landline as well?

Should the ad ons all start in capitals?-

so-

Landscape Gardening, General Carpentry and Decorating

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it worth spending to get coloured fancier ones made to put through doors if no one answers?
The mobile number on previous flyers was my spare mobile with a giff gaff message on the answering machine and as not my personal number didn't get back to customers very quickly. Shall I just use my main mobile phone number? Landline as well?
The jury is out on fancy coloured leaflets - I use them, others don't. But the fancy coloured you're currently using is, to be polite, as useful as a chocolate teapot. As for the numbers - that's up to you. I always put a number on that I know is going to get answered (either by me, or by one of my minions), not go to an ansaphone. I don't think it matters these days whether it's a mobile or landline.

I find basic leaflets work best but i get them printed by vistaprint as i can get 10k a6 i think it is (4 per a4 page) double sided for 60 quid

Basic but very effective round here

Seconded,check vista for good prices. It works out so cheap I'm gona get my clean receipts done via them and it'll save constant running out of ink

I find basic leaflets work best but i get them printed by vistaprint as i can get 10k a6 i think it is (4 per a4 page) double sided for 60 quidBasic but very effective round here
What do you have on the backside?

The last photo I uploaded will get vistaprint to make a load. I printed a load A5 size on normal paper at work for now.

What do you have on the backside?
The last photo I uploaded will get vistaprint to make a load. I printed a load A5 size on normal paper at work for now.
i have pm'd you my flyer to see

Back