What Battery Do I Fit To System?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by MajorClean, Sep 7, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. MajorClean

MajorClean Member

Only started in March & have a 1 man system in a Ford transit Connect van with a Shurflo water pump wired to/working from the van battery. It was fine at first, doing small domestic jobs and driving off to the next, but now I'm working far longer it's starting to make the van battery go flat and I desperately need to connect another battery - but where do I start?
    I understand I need a leisure battery, but what size to be able to run 6-8 hrs non-stop and how do I connect it?
    Does the existing van alternator charge it up or what?
    Any advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

you dont need a leisure battery, a car battery will do and just connect a split relay, or buy a new van battery and that should be fine

3. harunh

harunh Legend

I got a battery in my van that i charge everyday in my house with a plug .... after a days work i take the battery in my house and charge it .... once done i carry it back to my van the next working day and its fully charged again :) people think this is a headache but not really its much more simple for me and does the job :p

4. MajorClean

MajorClean Member

Yr feedback is much appreciated, thanks. So how many hours exactly R U getting out of yrs then, MK Cleaners?
    I can't see how using a static battery for hours when the engine is off won't drain it....

5. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

I couldnt tell you. Ive just started with WFP today! lol. I was under the assumption that it would never go flat because its getting charged as I drive around.

6. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

To easy to forget to charge it.

7. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

if it is going dead after a few hours, chances are the van battery is dead, get it tested

8. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

I got a 110ah leisure battery fitted it into the van just over a year ago and never been taken out to charge it. It has 2 shurflo 100 psi pumps running off it.

Have a split charger fitted and a trickle solar panel fitted to so it charges up even when van is parked up

9. nearlyclean

Supplier

I disagree with car battery idea as these are design for short power bursts like turning a car engine over where as a leisure battery is design to give a continue steady release which is ideal for us. I brought one in Halford about 18 months ago for £80 I think its 65ah and lasts a week before it needs charging. I like RCproperty idea brilliant. I only run one trolley system off mine and opted for lightness over power.

Advertisement