What Chemical To Remove Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by jimbob, Nov 6, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jimbob

jimbob Well-Known Member

i was just on my way home when a customer at a comercial job rang me and said a van had leaked oil all over so i went down and after soaking the worst up with grit i scrubbed in some drive cleaner/degreaser just a basic off the shelf one ive got rid of the oil stains as far as i can tell ( on concrete and tarmac) but theres still a greasy film coming threw/ on the water will this dry ok or is there a stronger chem i can use to break this down?

Advertisement
  2. DanielT

DanielT Active Member

Selden Maxima should do the trick on the concrete. Don't get it on the tarmac as it will dissolve it ;-)

3. OoO

OoO Guest

4. mr shine

mr shine Guru

theres a oil remover in halfords called gunk , about afiver and it works very well , if you want a quick fix try any washing up liquid , just apply to the area and hand scrub let sit for 10 mins then rinse with the washer , this might need to be done several times to completely remove the stain

5. johnny bravo

harder to get rid of if on tarmac

6. johnny bravo

ot8 expensive, got to add it onto quote.

7. jimbob

jimbob Well-Known Member

ok thanks i'm popping back today to see how its dried if i need to il try that gunk ive seen it in a couple of places, i dont want to use owt too strong as i know that some chemicals can knacker tarmac

8. jimbob

jimbob Well-Known Member

popped back this morning and it was ok a tiny bit of rainbow effect in one little spot but the gaffer was pleased i saved his work shop and yard

9. scrim it

scrim it Active Member

just wondering were do you buy your ot8 from? I looked at that website but doesn't seem to post to Northern Ireland. Pretty expensive. Any other suppliers and what quanity do you buy it in 1Litre = £14 approx

Might have to try gunk

10. LukeStead

LukeStead Guest

We first apply a caustic degreaser with a pump sprayer. Then agitate the area with a brush in the heavily soiled areas and let it sit dormant for 10-15 minutes, without letting it dry.

The unit we use is a hydro-tech SCU series 8 gpm dual operator. Our burner gets us to right around 200 degrees. We buy our degreaser locally and occasionally make it ourselves.

Advertisement