What do cleaners think a fair wage is ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Whizz-Bizz, Feb 29, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Whizz-Bizz

Whizz-Bizz Forum Addict
    Supplier

I thought Id ask the question to all the cleaners on this site, so what do you think a fair wage is ?, do you work it out on the time spent on the glass, or do you include time collecting, contacting customers etc.

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

Everything has to be included or taken in to consideration. I think £15 per hour is a good starting point for trad. WFP would be more.

3. azzy

azzy Guest

I wouldnt wanna say :)

4. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Dont waste your time pondering questions like this mate, it doesnt benefit you in any way. If you are self employed, as long as you are making enough money to get by, and preferably be able to save some too, thats your only worry. If you are managing to do this already, you will be fine, and as your round grows, you will find you have more money available to spend on what you want, be it better equipment, a new car, or a holiday to amsterdam!.

5. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

im trad and aim for 15 an hour i get about 18 - 20 when cleaning windows but like laddergadder said after travelling collecting canvassing etc youre looking at about 15

6. Whizz-Bizz

Whizz-Bizz Forum Addict
    Supplier

It sounds like £15-£25 is the right amount to be earning, what Id really like to do is eliminate this collection process, but also get rid of waiting for cheques.This would improve the hourly rate greatly. I find getting customers to go direct debit a bit of a touchy subject with the older folks and online payment people need constant chasing, any tips or ideas.

7. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Iv seen people say thay can earn £25 a hr or more but tbh everyone is difrent and each job is difrant to also.

iv worked the last 7-8 years for £6-7 a hr and got by just fine on this much

i think to myself if i could earn £10 a hr consistently id work my ass off for that and if i earn more i'll just save it up :]

8. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

depending on what out goings are you need to earn at least £20 to make self employed worth it, you got to take in to consideration tax, running costs etc, i look at it if i make 100 +costs a day then great,

i had a lad come to a job once who wanted £15 per hour, as he knew how much window cleaners made, he didnt get job basically wanted 90 for a 6 hour shift,

9. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

I think it greatly varies on round with how close it is etc how easy jobs are with regards to access. I find on good day I can make around 200 before costs on bad day prob 150-160

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zvlglf

10. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

The nature of the job means that you are always going to have to do some collecting, or waiting for cheques and online payments, unless you only take on customers who are always in and always pay cash. As long as you are getting your money, it is still part of your earnings, so i dont see why you think waiting for a cheque affects your hourly rate. Unless you used to work for an employer who payed you your hourly rate every hour?!. Take the value of the houses you have done in the day, divide that by the amount of hours you have worked, take away your costs, and that is your hourly rate. But again, as i said before, it is a pointless excersise. As long as you managing financially, who cares how much you make per hour?.

Advertisement