Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do we think?

My location is Sprowston, Norwich. Half my quotes are above £15. I live on a new build estate and there are a lot of variations in house size.
I have asked family and friends who pay more than that and not one seems taken by the idea of paying that much less.
As you say people would rather pay a bit more for someone they know/trust and they know can do a good job!
As a new window cleaner it’s hard enough to build up a round but this just makes it slightly harder!
I’ve not been going long myself but the one thing I’ve learned so far is that if the customer is after the cheapest, then they’re not the kind of customer that i want. I know that I’m generally higher priced than the established guys in my area but I genuinely don’t care, I want to build a solid well priced round and I feel the service I provide warrants a higher price. I went to do a gutter quote today and the customer asked me how much would I charge to do the windows, i gave him a monthly price of £17, he said his current window cleaner charges him £13 but he hasn’t been for 8 weeks and last time he came he left spots all over his windows, same situation for his neighbour who uses the same window cleaner. The one thing I tell all potential customers is ‘you get what you pay for’. He accepted my gutter quote but said he would let me know tomorrow about the windows, he was pretty sure though that his neighbour wouldn’t accept £17. Within 5mins of me leaving he had left a voice mail to say he had cancelled his current window cleaner and could I do his (and his neighbours) windows. basically if someone else is cheaper then there’s a reason for it, just convey that to the customer. If they still want cheap as chips then good luck to them, they’ll soon learn.

Thanks for this, sounds too ott for me I'm not a geek like you ? the TP-Link ones look the best option with over 49K reviews and a decent app I want the best as some of the stuff sold doesn't have the best longevity as they are so cheaply made not too bothered about monitoring consumption just more about have stuff switched off at plugs that aren't as easily accessible and drain energy if we all took proactive steps we'd save money but also reduce the UK carbon footprint by a considerable amount collectively.

I would turn off the wi-fi router as they use around £55 a year on average never knew this until this week but with the ring doorbell you need wifi for it to record activity
Speaking of wi-fi and saving costs... depending on how you use the internet you can save significant costs by getting rid of your phone line provider and broadband provider.

I'm on the Smarty network on my smartphone. With Smarty I get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 50gb of data for £15 per month. Smarty allows you to tether to the network, what this means is that you can connect any other device to the internet via the phone, so think of turning your phone into a router and that's basically what tethering is.

I don't have any phone line, so no line rental, no broadband so no monthly broadband costs. I watch iplayer and channel 4 player through it at the same time as using the pc for internet browsing, so it's more than capable for most peoples internet usage requirements.

Just another option if you're looking to reduce costs. Think the 100gb version is only about £20 per month so if you needed more data then that would be a better one.

Speaking of wi-fi and saving costs... depending on how you use the internet you can save significant costs by getting rid of your phone line provider and broadband provider.

I'm on the Smarty network on my smartphone. With Smarty I get unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 50gb of data for £15 per month. Smarty allows you to tether to the network, what this means is that you can connect any other device to the internet via the phone, so think of turning your phone into a router and that's basically what tethering is.

I don't have any phone line, so no line rental, no broadband so no monthly broadband costs. I watch iplayer and channel 4 player through it at the same time as using the pc for internet browsing, so it's more than capable for most peoples internet usage requirements.

Just another option if you're looking to reduce costs. Think the 100gb version is only about £20 per month so if you needed more data then that would be a better one.
Wouldn't work for us mate we have multiple devices needing wifi

Wouldn't work for us mate we have multiple devices needing wifi
You can use multiple devices with it, it works extremely well. The only time you might need something with a bit more speed is if you do online gaming but depending on the signal in your area it might even be good enough for that. My signal isn't even 4G but it's been reliable for me for over a year. 5G and it would be more than enough for even gaming.

One other thing, potentially you don't even need your phone. You can buy an actual router that allows for the sim card to be put inside it, so you would use it purely for the internet and just leave the router on.

You can use multiple devices with it, it works extremely well. The only time you might need something with a bit more speed is if you do online gaming but depending on the signal in your area it might even be good enough for that. My signal isn't even 4G but it's been reliable for me for over a year. 5G and it would be more than enough for even gaming.

One other thing, potentially you don't even need your phone. You can buy an actual router that allows for the sim card to be put inside it, so you would use it purely for the internet and just leave the router on.
Our connections across the house aren't great we have a fair amount of devices throughout the house and recently gone into a contract with BT for internet only as EE just ain't bothered anymore plus got a £70 reward card.

Back