Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What do you all do? Just windows or gutters aswell?

harunh

Does everybody here... do windows only or do gutters aswell?

Because am starting up should i just start of doing windows or should i do both windows and gutters ? /emoticons/sad.png thankyou

Hi paul mate,

All you need is adecent vacuum right ? and just be patient while clogging along the gutter with the vac?

i do gutters as well, but by hand, don't really like doing them as i end up making a pigs ear of pricing- just find it hard to charge what it really should be as i don't see from their perspective how just 1 length could be 20 or 30 quid, i'm going some to ask that for the lot!

I don't do gutters, I have did my grandparents gutters before by hand it I can see how it could be difficult to price correctly. I you are just starting out I would say, yeah go for it. I gutter jobs should keep you busy when your quite with the windows. But I don't know if I would pay for an expensive vac, I would just to it by hand with a set of ladders.

Another thing to consider though, is you may have to let your insurers know as your public liability will likely on cover you for cleaning windows.

i just use a 2 section unger telescopic pole with a spoon type screw on thingy so i only need to put the ladder up once & i can sSwear word!e up both sides , hang a bucket off the ladder with a bungee to put gunge in. council house types i do for £15 but definately up to £50 for high ones or near trees

i try & save them for a rainy day or a sunday

I you have never did this before, I would recommend good rubber gloves as Paul has mentioned, possibly stand off's for your ladders. 25ft to 30ft set of ladders. A scope, which you can get from WCWarehouse, a bucket, some bungee rope, and a small hand brush.

I haven't really got a clue what you would charge for gutters, but if I was to take a stab in the dark, I would try £4/5 per meter and see how that goes.

i do gutters i use a stand off makes life easy,as for price its one of those things again in what to charge,depends on the custy as well,£3 to £4 per meter is fine id say as its a dirty job and if on ladder your always up and down moving across.

theres good money in that game and allot of people do want it doing.

I do gutters, i do them by hand.

Charge £15 per gutter

And 3 story ones are 30-50 each.

A house will take me an hour max so not hard to price. I do thdm on rain days and ones were im not busy.
this is what ive tended to do to price per gutter as sometimes i think the price has been to high and i would have lost the job for greeds sake

£15 per gutter is a fair price front and back thats £30.

I think gutter cleaning is one of those things were there really is more too it than the price. If I was going out to do a gutter cleaning job by hand, I wouldn't be looking for the same kind of money as someone who is going to go out, clean out the gutters, down pipes, then pressure wash it all, repair any damaged seals etc. I know in some cases quite a lot of expensive equipment is required especially if there is a bad blockage in a down pipe or something, which I just wouldn't be able to correct just using ladders and a scoop. But I guess main thing is make it clear to the customer what you will do for them.

best thing to do is have a look at the gutter first to see what state its in then you can charge in accord.

its easy money half the time.

i use to clean gutters of the ladder when i started but have since got a vac ive found i can charge more with the vac as it is more professional also customers have remarked about it being much safer on occasion you come across blocked down spouts that need a ladder to unblock i also use a standoff for safety i think anybody clearing a 3 storey house with a ladder is taking a huge risk and should at least have someone foot the ladder or get a ladder safety device

hi badbusdriver if you were using your wfp for facia and soffit cleaning and suffering neck pains i had the same problem until i was told about a powerpole which is a telescopic lance for a powerwasher now i do powerwashing as an add on using this method you can do a facia and soffit clean in less than half the time

We do cosmetic gutter cleans by water fed pole - £1.00 per metre, or empty & clean at £2.00 per metre

Only if they have whole house done though - as normally only one gutter will be bad the price balances out.

If they have the grills on top, then we charge £2.50 per metre.

Quick tip - we use a standoff for full height gutters, but if cleaning a bungalow gutter and the ladder is going to rest on the gutter - then put a piece of 4" x 2" wood in the gutter - it doesnt deform, and prevents gutter damage.

badbusdriver have you thought about getting sports therapy or massage on your neck or even some simple exercises for it, you do em just sitting in a chair, if you strengthen your neck & shoulder muscles they will ache less after high work - im not on about gym work just quick gentle stuff

I do everything. From gutters to patios to soffits to solar panels. Money is money and I like it, do what you want it's your business!

James.

I do Paul. The funny thing is I've only just started to do them. Handed out a few basic leaflets to the houses who have the solar panels fitted explaining what dirt etc does to them and people were ringing me up straight away to have them cleaned. Nice little earners solar panels are. I'm sure they will be the 'norm' in a couple of months time though /emoticons/biggrin.png

James.

reform do you just sSwear word!e and brush the gear out thats what i do a guy said to me toady when id done one says do you clean it with water??

i say why theres no need its clear run just tiny bits of dust.

sounds orite mate but id rather keep me 300 and do it of a ladder lol.i do a full house in under a hour.

hi guys,i use a guttervac and its fantastic, mine only cost £300 from gutter cleaning systems,you really don,t need a £3000 set up for normal domestics,i can do about 40 meters per hour. i don,t think you will ever make a fortune from it but its a very useful add on..
what would you charge for the 40meters pal?now you use a vac?

Back