Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fitting a switch

Neil

Hello me old muka's I need to fit a switch to this voltage meter so while it's connected I can just switch it on and off so it doesn't drain the battery, I've managed to wire up the led meter but for the life of me can figure out how to wire the switch up [emoji85]
ff46cd4353d8b0d9ac3a33f910a81e16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello me old muka's I need to fit a switch to this voltage meter so while it's connected I can just switch it on and off so it doesn't drain the battery, I've managed to wire up the led meter but for the life of me can figure out how to wire the switch up [emoji85]
ff46cd4353d8b0d9ac3a33f910a81e16.jpg

Cut the red wire and put an on/off switch inline.

@spruce so I just cut the red wire and put both ends that are cut on to the switch?

Wondering why would you need that when your digi controllers have a built in function that can display the battery level?

Spruce the switch I have is this
92ce5d059c7a3b61b60f7fb782370539.jpg

Hi Neil,

I now see the reason for your question. This switch is central position off and an either side is on for different functions. If you use that switch then the center terminal will be your input. I think you will find that the terminal directly under the two bar side of the switch will activate if you put the switch on the first position.

So the wire from your battery will go to the center terminal and the wire to your volt meter will come from the terminal under the second position on the photo. The third terminal will not be used. Please make sure you fit these into a nice enclosure (like the controller uses) to ensure they don't short out on any parts of the van's chassis.

Best practice is also to fit a small inline fuse on the positive wire close to the battery with the smallest fuse you can find.

It looks as though that switch will accept the standard 1/4" push on terminals.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-pack-of-blue-piggy-back-terminal-crimp-connector-push-on-female-spade-crimps-/190764547348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c6a73fd14

This is the switch I would have used but the one you have will do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Automotive-Car-Van-Boat-20mm-21mm-On-Off-I-O-Dashboard-2-Pin-Rocker-Switch-/181481274731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a41207d6b

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back