What do you think to this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by daveyboy, Oct 10, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Just seen this and wondered what you guys reckon
    I have an old ladder that i could use as a roof ladder
    Roof Hook Kit | Youngman 304898:

Advertisement
  2. rshandyman

rshandyman Forum Addict

I am looking for something similar but this might do for me

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Not for me as I would prefer to use a purpose built cat ladder myself as they are also fitted with with spreader bars so keeps the stiles of the ladder and rungs away from the roof so are safer to use grip wise.

Cat ladders are now dirt cheap too so best tools for the job and all that....

4. Smurf

Smurf Banned

This is how you are supposed to do it just using ladder but how many actually work this way :rolleyes:

5. PTWC

PTWC Guest

Ive done that training, and thats exactly what i used to do when i was installing tv aerials.
    Everything apart from the dust mask.
    These H&S bods do often go OTT, bless em.
    That system does make it safe.
    Harness, climbing rope, karabiner etc. still got all the gear but don't need it for cleaning windows.
    Would need it for cleaning gutters though.

6. TolishAPurd

I'd personally avoid that Daveyboy for the reasons smurf mentioned. If theres ever atime you are relying on your gear, its up on a roof.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Let me know how you get on asking to drill holes in customers walls to clear their gutters out :thumbsup:

I know what I would say :D

8. PTWC

PTWC Guest

Well try explaining to the HSE inspector why you didn't.
    Im with you though.
    Its a bit of a problem.
    No one wants their walls drilled, but it is the best way to do it.
    Ive done it many many times. In brick you catch some dust and fill the hole with silicon, then splash the dust over it. You get a near invisible result, which can be used again the next time.
    Ive a fixed hook eye bolt on the wall of my house for gaining access to the roof via cat ladder.
    I try to have a balanced approach to H&S. Asses the risk, and take appropriate measures.
    If not going onto the roof and if only for a short time then HSE will accept that all practicable and appropriate steps have been taken to carry out the task.

9. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I thought due to the short time with the ladder in any one place ie under 20 minutes the hse couldn't say anything anyway

Saying that the local council recently did the gutters in a cul de sac recently near me and used ally tower across the front of all the houses

10. PTWC

PTWC Guest

Yes ive seen them putting up full scaffolding with a platform going all the way across to the chimney, just to change a couple of tiles.

Advertisement