What Have You Learned This Year! Tips For The New Guys

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by koopmaster, Dec 20, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

So lets get a list of some tips and trick for the rest of us and the new guys.

1. if your WFP (waterfed pole system) get a TDS meter

2. Get a O clip pincer\plyer - and use O clips if your making your own system - TRUST me on this one.. I pissed about for a few months with water leaks before I realized this one.

3. I use a WFP 8mm Microbore Water fed pole stop tap, also get John Guest 6mm Barb to 8mm Stems -- they saved me trying to shove the pipe into the adapter.

4. get 100m of cable for your system, I started with 40M and it was too short for most jobs.... waste of money.

5. get a decent reel.... . get a decent reel. I have been through 2 cheap ones so far and the one I have from amazon now is ok but you really need a metal one when you can afford it.

6. if your pure water starts climbing up from 0 don't stress until it gets to 0.8 then change the resin. and clean the canister with hot soapy water to kill the slime.

7. Wooly hat and a ipod - keep your head warm and the boardom away. (and I don't even like apple LOL)

8. asda winter gloves, I have bought expensive sealskins, winter bike gloves and ebay gloves and they are all torn (within a week) but the asda gloves have lasted 2 weeks so far and they cost £3.

9. i use a 300W aquarium water heater to stop my 400L tank from freezing. it works. remember to put it in a day before you need it or overnight.

10. buy A grade pre-washed skryms.

11. list of websites I use

http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/
    http://www.aqua-dapter.co.uk/

http://www.allcleangroup.co.uk
    http://www.windowcleancentre.co.uk/

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Advertisement
  2. A.K WINDOWS

How can you be assed to write all that :lol:

ive learned to eat and rest more then i get real big and strong ;)

3. Knoxy

Knoxy Well-Known Member

Don't under price just to get the job (you will regret it)
    Keep a tool box in the van with all the tools you might need if anything breaks.
    If doing trad use the back of your squeegee to get rid of excess water from your mop (thanks Belfast)
    Don't believe everything you read on here, some guys have really good honest advice others are full of ....

4. Posh

Posh Hero

Never pi&& on live electrical appliances.

Best thing I learnt was making my own pure water. Didn't have a clue till I came on here.

5. nearlyclean

Supplier

That a great tip
    Don't just store customers details on phone, write them down.
    Have website with separate pages for commercial and domestic work ( easier to optimise and since I done that last month pick up 5 commercial jobs)

6. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

use a blackberry, I email myself each client from one address to my private one, so I always have 2 copies plus a copy in GEORGE the window cleaning assastant

7. chip

chip Guru

Get a good quality brush, tecbuk for eg, and a good quality carbon pole, slx for eg. Worth their weight in gold!

8. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

what i have learnt is.... size dosent matter!!!!

you can have 1000 customers... or you could have 100... but still be on the same wages

self employed window cleaners isnt just about cleaning windows.. and more effort needs put into the numbers side of business..

9. Squeak and Bubbles

Never back down on a price you have given. Sometimes I give a price, and they say "do it for £10", or "do it for £20", I shot myself in the foot once, never again. I have too much good work for someone to be wanting an almost free clean...

10. Donny

Donny Well-Known Member

Great tips guys, as a newbie too the business its a big help.

Advertisement