What is this stuff on the glass?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Greener, Apr 22, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Greener

Greener Well-Known Member

Hi all, one of my cleans has this on some of the windows at the rear of the property is has been on the windows since being built? I have scrubbed and scrubbed and even used the old half a lemon trick, but it won't shift? Now I want to be a hero LoL ;-) and do what the last window cleaner failed to do and get rid? IMG_0278 (1).JPG IMG_0278 (1).JPG IMG_0277.JPG

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

Just looks like heavy water spotting to me. Is there a hose/sprinkler near by? Put a bit of vinegar on it pet.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

That looks like hard water spots to me

4. Is there stonework above it?

5. windowsurfer

windowsurfer Forum Addict

Same as you, was trying to scrub a window like that today with my freebie Trollul wire sponge and thought this was going to take it off, but no, have already tried mister muscle limescale, but no use either. The problem is there is a balcony above and the water is running down the wall and staining the glass, might try water spot removal stuff, but dont think it will shift it. I wanted to be the hero today, as well, but failed:(.

6. Jonathan Sanderson

Jonathan Sanderson Active Member

Does rain water run down the building onto the glass?

Usually this is from poor design, the lintel will be angled towards the glass instead if away, so rain water picks up mineral deposits and then bakes on the glass.

Chemicals may not shift it, and worse still they could even make it worse.

If your unsure then leave well alone.

Glass polish (jewellers rouge/cerium oxide) might be the only way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Greener

Greener Well-Known Member

No sprinkler near by! Yes stone house! What's best thing to do if hard water? Will try vinegar? Its on most of the lower windows on the back of the house? I can't see anything house related causing it?

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

That's a glass restoration job not a window cleaning job as the two are completely different

9. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I had one similar to the pic. There was a bog overflow pipe dripping on the window below. Mr Muscle lime scale remover got rid of it.

Hey Greener why the bad spelling for window surfer?

10. windowsurfer

windowsurfer Forum Addict

http://www.trollull.co.uk/ check out the glass cleaner, smurf got them too. I was using it to take paint off, seemed to work on that.

Advertisement