What services go well with window cleaning

Discussion in 'Managing Your Business' started by Roy, Jul 4, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Roy

Roy Active Member

I am looking to add an extra service to go well with window cleaning. Something that is recurring like window cleaning but different.

I was thinking about basic grass cutting, not gardening but just basic grass cutting. But that is mainly only a summer thing, and would die down alot in winter.

Plus, I am not sure you would be able to make the same hourly rate for grass cutting as you would for window cleaning but could be wrong?

But if you could combine them together for some customers, you could make extra per customer..

Anyone else do anything like this?

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

I do just about everything mate. And just about everything goes with window cleaning... except for grass cutting.lol :D Loading up and taking out the lawn mower gets annoying very quickly, and its not good for your back unless you have a trailer/ramps. Money can be good if you build a good round, but also ****, as you will spend time driving about, fuel and repairs on your mower/strimmer etc. Its a lot of work for not a lot of gain IMO. I quit my gardening round this year and it was a good move. Leave it for the students and retirees, as they are the people you'll be competing against. I used to charge £20ph, turn up with quality stihl petrol tools, do a good job that would take most people 3 times as long with homebase rubbish, but people would still moan saying "the last guy charged £10 / £12". I got fed up in the end. The only gardening work I take on now is full, or half days.

For me, the best jobs that compliment window cleaning are ones that give a day or weeks work, ..combining window cleaning with another weather dependant round based business is not a good idea. I can say that from experience.

So what can you do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Roy

Roy Active Member

Hmm.. What is another type of service which is recurring that you could offer?

4. TolishAPurd

You are better off without recurring work IMO, although whatever jobs you do you will hopefully have recurring customers. The question is what are you good at, and what do you enjoy?

5. Roy

Roy Active Member

Window cleaning is my business which im fine with, sometimes the odd day doing a different service would be interesting, thats why I was thinking grass cutting but will see. Thats why I was interested in knowing what others do.

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Handyman work is good and can earn good money but you will need an aptitude for it and plenty of tools
    I do bits and pieces and the plan was to do lots like tolish does but the windows have got too busy now

7. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I'd stick to things that you can do with the tools you already have for window cleaning. I've just done a whole week cleaning connys and S/F/G. I worked a whole lot less hours and earned roughly the same as a week on the glass. If I could spend my time doing the above week in week out I would, but it's never going to be as regular as my window round but a nice add on.

How about car valeting, especially if you have a tank of pure on your van?

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Car valeting is a good earner
    If you have a pressure washer or wfp setup it's no problem to set up
    Especially if you know what you're doing and can offer expensive services like clay bar etc
    But an average guy can earn well from it

9. boarcity

boarcity Guest

id think selling firewood WOOD work ! iv known several guys who cut and split logs stack it then sell each winter. gruelling work carting it away but long as uv a decent log splitter ,it wont kill you

10. reliable chris

If you get a pressure washer, lots of my custys ask me to clean there patio's.
    its a messy job and usually splatters their windows, which in turn gives you more work..

Advertisement