What To Protectakote?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by windyman, Feb 26, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just got a new van (new to me anyway). Ply lined on the sides, but nothing on the floor (bought van of my pal, he took up ply floor as it was all rotten anyway).

Here's my question-

Is it best to protectakote the metal van bed- OR- should I ply line then paint over that??

I'm thinking just protectakote the floor pan and this should be fine- there'd be no point to the ply would there?

Anyone done this?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

i took all my ply lining out, painted all the metal and then when dry put it all back down, what you could do is paint all the floor, get the tank fitted, then fit a ply floor to the rest of the floor, that way you have a good base to fit anything to and you wont wear the painted areas out.

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

4. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

I just got a new van and its ply lined in the back, I'll lifting the floor and painting the metal.. Will try make shelving out of the floor or something

5. OoO

OoO Guest

I painted the floor and all the other vans have just painted floors i have seen

https://www.windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/5984-painting-a-van-floor/

my guide ^^

6. Knoxy

Knoxy Well-Known Member

Take the ply out, paint the floor and up the side a bit, don't bother putting it back in as it will just rot over time. The protectakote is very grippy to so things won't slide about.

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

In Damo's floor painting guide he gave lots of good tips. However he forgot to include how to prepare the vans floor before applying the paint ;)

8. OoO

OoO Guest

I was told how to prepare it by the manufacture? And included it....

The paint work needs to be cleaned,dry and keyed.

I basically cleaned the van out, with a brush and then got to work. The whole floor was cleaned using CIF. This is what you are told to use, and it does work. Give the van floor two good cleans. Next get some heavy duty scourer pads. Ideally ones for removing burnt on rubbish from griddles. Cost about £3 for 10 or so. Scotchbrite is good, but its easier with bigger pads.

Work on the floor for around an hour or two. Get rid of the shine, any loose rust and grease. Once the floor is done, brush the floor out or use air like I did. Next you want to clean the floor with Xylene (Xylol) and only this. Anything else could react with the protecta kote.

Once the floor is cleaned let it air dry. Mask up any areas and allow for paint splatter.

9. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Sarcasm??

10. mark m

mark m Hero

Personal I don't rate protectakote fiberglass the van will last forever

Advertisement