what type of leisure battery is best?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by marc674, Mar 4, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. marc674

marc674 Newcomer

Hi all looking for any advice on
    What leisure battery would be best for a varistream 12v dc pump control, shurflow 8000 pump and one shot remote? How often do these batterys have to be charged ?
    Also what do people reckon on the split charger systems? I dont do many miles in a day and all work close together. Fitted van out last week as had enough of back pack and 25L barrells!

Advertisement
  2. spruce

spruce Grand Master

A single operator will be fine using an 85 amph leisure battery. I would go with a 110 amp as they aren't that much more expensive.

I charge mine (110amph) every night in winter and every second night in summer with an intelligent leisure battery charger for motorhomes.

We also do limited mileage but I have a SCR (VSR now) as its nice to have a backup. We suffered a leisure battery failure about 5 years ago when we were miles out of area cleaning 2 large blocks of flats. We were able to run the van engine in a secure area and finish the job. Being able to do that paid for the SCR.

Halfords now do leisure batteries in our area (7 miles away.) Before that the best source was through the local motor factors next day delivery.

Leisure batteries don't like being run flat. They last longer when they are recharged as soon as possible.

As I've noted before, we believe that if we work an 8 hour day cleaning residential we estimate that our pumps will run for 50% of that time.

Using a flow controller, our pumps draw about 4.5 amps per hour. So 4 x 4.5 = 18 amps drawn that day. 110 amps - 18 = 92 amps remainding at the end of the day using 1 pump. 3 days work will leave your battery half charged. Leaving a leisure battery in the state of discharge will shorten its life, especially when left discharged for any length of time.

One of the local lads has 2 x 85 amp batteries and alternates them everyday, leaving the other on charge.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. marc674

marc674 Newcomer

Thanks for that info spruce,has really helped me out

4. AGlassAct

AGlassAct Active Member

Totally agree with Spruce, I have just pimped my van and put a split relay charger in at the last minute - best descision by far. I have a webasto and start it up with the engine running then ditch it once it's warmed up. It lasted a full 6 hours (75Ah) and my pump runs continuously. Think I paid around £50 for a durite with cable and fuses - saved £25 on a lot brought one as I had heat shrink and terminals already. If I was to do it again I would buy the biggest battery I could afford (which is what I did at the time - my old battery failed in the middle of the day!)
    What van do you have - access and cable routing could be an issue so I would check all this before you take the plunge. I already had the ply lining out of mine as it needed replacing so I took the plunge and fitted a reverse camera and s

5. AGlassAct

AGlassAct Active Member

Sensors !!!!! Blummin fat fingers!!!!

6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#6 spruce, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016

A Webasto diesel heater is power hungry when starting and probably draws a little less current in operation than a Shurflo pump. My Airtronic diesel air heater will draw up to 20 amps starting and then will cruise on about 2.5 amps and in low heat mode about 1.2 amps. But the starting current is in short bursts. I also run the van engine when starting the heater as the alternator provides most of the starting load.

In 8 years I'm on my 3rd 110 amp leisure battery (the current one is just over a year old.) In all that time I've have never let the leisure battery voltage drop below 75% charged. From personal experience I'm also of the feeling that the initial boost of charge from the van's alternator when starting the engine gives the chemical reaction in the leisure battery a bit of a shake up. It doesn't seem to have done them any harm over the years.

(Numax are the manufacturers of Numax batteries and they told me that you should only charge a leisure battery at about 10% of its capacity. So a 110 amp battery would be charged at around 10 amps. When you have put a leisure battery under load the voltage of the battery drops. When the load is removed the battery voltage slowly stabilizes. This means it 'recovers'. So under load it could be reading 12.2 volts across the terminals even if the battery was fully charged at 12.8 - 12.9v before the load. When the load is removed the voltage will slowly rise until it settles on the level of the remaining charge. This stabilizing period is around 4 hours.

When we pack away and get into the van to come home, the battery reads a rather low voltage as it hasn't had time to 'recover.' The alternator 'sees' this as a flat battery so we have seen a power surge of up to 22 amps being driven into the leisure battery. However within a short period of time, within 30 seconds, it quickly settles down and we see a charge going in of around 6 to 7 amps.

With 2 pumps going we estimate that that we have used around 36 amps of the 110 amps we originally started with. Our journey home takes 10 to 15 minutes. If the journey took 15 minutes and we spent another 30 minutes traveling between jobs during the day we have only put back a little over 4.5 amps back into the battery. So we are still 30+ amps short. This is why I recharge every night in winter and every 2nd night in summer. When we do a large commercial in summer where we use more water, I put the battery on charge every night.

I'm fortunate that I'm have a drive way and plugging the charger in takes just a few moments. With it being an intelligent charger, I usually leave in plugged in over night.)

My VSR is also the same as a Durite 140 amp unit (M-Power.) I have run my cable from the starter motor (I stupidly didn't order enough cable to reach the battery. I was going to order some more cable and correct it but never have) and followed the wiring harness and brake pipes under the van which are attached to the chassis. I drilled a hole in the van floor near where the leisure battery is located and fitted the VSR in a box near the battery.
    I have also put an on/off rocker switch on the earth cable from the VSR. By switching that off I can stop the VSR from working. (The Durite VSR is bi-directional. This means that when you put the charger on the leisure battery with the leisure battery in situ, the van battery also gets charged up.)

7. AGlassAct

AGlassAct Active Member

[​IMG]
    I too put a switch before the leisure battery - for that same reason

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

8. AGlassAct

AGlassAct Active Member

Also put a main isolation on my main control panel - bit over kill but I can isolate every circuit via a fuse and switch[​IMG]

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#9 spruce, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    This is also a project I need to do. Please may I ask what camera and screen did you fitted and how well does it work in the dark? Thanks

10. AGlassAct

AGlassAct Active Member

I will put the details in later. Colour camera, sensors and 5" screen was just over £50. Fantastic bit of kit and easy to fit. Surprisingly good in the dark as your reverse lights project light more than you think

Advertisement