Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

EGR valves.......Blanking off

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Be aware that removing DPF or opening it and removing the element can cause you to fail an mot. It's a relatively new requirement but removal of DPF or signs of tampering are grounds to fail an mot.

I don't think blanking EGR is an mot issue at all. The EGR valve is to help the engine pass an EU test. The mot test is a lot less strict. EGR just reroutes some of the mucky exhaust gas back into the intake to be burnt again. They just clog up and cause issues. The only problem comes is if it's blanking causes a dash light to come on as that can be an mot failure!

To be as environmentally friendly as we can DPF and ERG should be maintained to work efficiently at all times ? 

Be aware that removing DPF or opening it and removing the element can cause you to fail an mot. It's a relatively new requirement but removal of DPF or signs of tampering are grounds to fail an mot.

I don't think blanking EGR is an mot issue at all. The EGR valve is to help the engine pass an EU test. The mot test is a lot less strict. EGR just reroutes some of the mucky exhaust gas back into the intake to be burnt again. They just clog up and cause issues. The only problem comes is if it's blanking causes a dash light to come on as that can be an mot failure!

To be as environmentally friendly as we can DPF and ERG should be maintained to work efficiently at all times ? 
My renault master had the egr fitted with a blanking plate and then the ecu reprogrammed passed mot no problem and looking under the bonnet you wouldn’t know any difference Evan the diagnostics didn’t show that it had been blanked off 

My renault master had the egr fitted with a blanking plate and then the ecu reprogrammed passed mot no problem and looking under the bonnet you wouldn’t know any difference Evan the diagnostics didn’t show that it had been blanked off 
As I said EGR blanking is not currently an mot failure unless it triggers a dash light that isn't reprogrammed to off.

Simple diagnostics wont show it but as time goes on sensors will be added to ecu to ensure EGR is working correctly, then it will show up.

As I said EGR blanking is not currently an mot failure unless it triggers a dash light that isn't reprogrammed to off.

Simple diagnostics wont show it but as time goes on sensors will be added to ecu to ensure EGR is working correctly, then it will show up.
I think that’s a long way off and Evan then I guess there will be ways of getting around it ???

Having a bit of bother with what a friend of mine tells me is the egr after running test on the computer. Van is giving of a good bit of  Smoke, rough idle on cold start and bit of bad smellin fumes. Got a blanking plate of eBay there today and was just wondering do you need to map it out once blanked or will it be fine? 1.6 hdi dispatch 2011
Sounds like any van that is few years old, mine sounds like a bag of spanners some morning's and the smell from the exhaust some mornings is strong, but with short runs as we do it isn't good for an engine, 

Are you looking after your van servicing etc giving it a decent run out once in a while using a cleaner like https://www.cataclean.com/shop/cataclean-diesel/2.htm it can be bought from Amazon I use it about 3 times a year and never had the dpf light come on I think I've had my van about 3 years this year it's a 64 plate combo 

I was told they are better off without it anyway? They don’t do emissions test for psv in NI either 
Basically modifying any part of the diesel engine that affects emissions is illegal in the UK. So in reality no one should be advising you to something that's against the law even if they have done it themselves. If a tester is familiar with your car and sees an EGR valve is missing or blanked off he has to fail the vehicle, the same as if the cat or dpf  has been removed or there is evidence of a modification being done.

On my van there is a plate advising the tester what emission standards the van has to meet. Yet in the MOT testers computer form there is provision for them to check that they can't see a plate or its missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically modifying any part of the diesel engine that affects emissions is illegal in the UK. So in reality no one should be advising you to something that's against the law even if they have done it themselves. If a tester is familiar with your car and sees an EGR valve is missing or blanked off he has to fail the vehicle, the same as if the cat or dpf  has been removed or there is evidence of a modification being done.

On my van there is a plate advising the tester what emission standards the van has to meet. Yet in the MOT testers computer form there is provision for them to check that they can't see a plate or its missing.
The firm that removed and re mapped my renault are the ones who mot it and it was them that suggested removing it ??? they also said it was legal and that it would pass any mot for emissions Evan if vosa tested it they said it would be fine , so don’t know what to think ???

Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.
When they removed it they did a before and after emission test and there was no difference in the readings ,I still have the printouts somewhere, 

Sounds like any van that is few years old, mine sounds like a bag of spanners some morning's and the smell from the exhaust some mornings is strong, but with short runs as we do it isn't good for an engine, 

Are you looking after your van servicing etc giving it a decent run out once in a while using a cleaner like https://www.cataclean.com/shop/cataclean-diesel/2.htm it can be bought from Amazon I use it about 3 times a year and never had the dpf light come on I think I've had my van about 3 years this year it's a 64 plate combo 
My van is now 3 years old and done 16,000 miles. I only do short trips, so do you think it’s worth me using Cataclean?

My van is now 3 years old and done 16,000 miles. I only do short trips, so do you think it’s worth me using Cataclean?
16,000 miles it I've only done about 9,000 over the same period,

Yes, 100% it will give it a really good clean I can tell when I've put it in my van as the drive is a lot smoother acceleration is lot better I feel as well the engine just seems to run a bit better. 

Providing as @Pjj as mentioned no Adblue as that is already doing the job of cleaning the cat, not sure if you could use a fuel cleaner. 

Having a bit of bother with what a friend of mine tells me is the egr after running test on the computer. Van is giving of a good bit of  Smoke, rough idle on cold start and bit of bad smellin fumes. Got a blanking plate of eBay there today and was just wondering do you need to map it out once blanked or will it be fine? 1.6 hdi dispatch 2011
Didn't have to map mine out, it never even gave a light on the dash. Mine was a 2010 1.6 dospatch. It did however, run better with no smoke afterwards, trouble free for another 4 years till I got another van.

Back