Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

0 hours contract

Eddie dragon

Need a little help but not sure how much . Got appointment with account on Tuesday . Payroll is his department £30 a month sounds OK to deal with that nightmare. I have never employed anyone so on another learning curve. Has anyone any experience of 0hours contacts. Do you think it is I good way to try people out. ?

I personally loath zero hour contracts.

When I was looking for a job some time back everyone wanted to offer zero hours and expect loyalty from me to them.

I would go two week trial to 3 month probation. Gives you two outs before deciding if you want to do the decent thing and give a fair contract for a fair effort.

I am thinking of starting someone on a 0 hours contract. As I don't honestly know how many days I can offer . Got to do first cleans on new sub work as previous guy glass only. So will be quicker second time around. Will have sorted best stops for van shortest run of hose etc. So should save a fair bit of time . I won't to give a fair days wage for a fair days work . I spent most of my life in minimum wage jobs . It inspires nothing and no one . Or would it be better to work out minimum days I can easily cover financially . Then rework the round a bit to maximise jobs done on the days I have the help.

I won't to give a fair days wage for a fair days work . I spent most of my life in minimum wage jobs . It inspires nothing and no one
That makes no sense eddie. Sounds like you are only offering minimum wage?

I think you would need to find at least 2 days per week to get anyone interested at all .

OMG typo. Im dyslexic so missed that My bad. I aim pay a good wage was thinking of starting at ten an hour.

0 hours contract was something I was thinking of as I didn't yet have the figures on the new work so unsure how much I could offer. I have the figures now so two days a week is what I believe I can pay at ten an hour. 7 hour day.

There is room for a little extra help if it's necessary. Won't to pocket as much as possible though in order to build the business.

U will get timewasters and IMO people who could turn out to be great staff wouldn't apply for such a job. You can at least offer 16 hours a week. Or if u can't then there is no need for staff

OMG typo. Im dyslexic so missed that My bad. I aim pay a good wage was thinking of starting at ten an hour.0 hours contract was something I was thinking of as I didn't yet have the figures on the new work so unsure how much I could offer. I have the figures now so two days a week is what I believe I can pay at ten an hour. 7 hour day.

There is room for a little extra help if it's necessary. Won't to pocket as much as possible though in order to build the business.
Why not go for 16 hour contract at minimum wage ?

Personally think someone would prefer a guaranteed 16 hours at minimum than 0 guaranteed at £10.

You say it inspires no one but it will inspire someone who wants a job 2 days a week. there will be someone that those hours suit for whatever reason.

OK so still thinking things through. I put 14 hours a week for wages as that's the actual time spent cleaning. 9_4. add hour break makes 16 hours a week. I don't take lunch. I stop for a brew when offered but would rather just work than stop mid day. So is it half hour or full hour I have to give? Also travel time. I would be picking up and dropping off. Should that be paid.

Employer insurance seams cheap enough. I added it as cover to last two months of policy. Public and employers was 26.40 excluding ladders. Don't want worker going up ladders at all. I would feel so bad if anything happened.

It's 20 mins break. But it's not paid We work 8-5. He is paid for 8.5 hours. Meets at my house bout 7:45. Home after 5. He's paid from first job to last job. And break is not paid.

It's 20 mins break. But it's not paid We work 8-5. He is paid for 8.5 hours. Meets at my house bout 7:45. Home after 5. He's paid from first job to last job. And break is not paid.

Eddie, rather than giving your member of staff £10 an hour with no guarantee of hours from one week to the next. Pay them minimum wage, but guarantee there down time will be paid. More pay with less rights, wont inspire anyone also. I have two guys working for me who are paid slightly more than minimum wage, however there pay is guaranteed. The work flexibly around the weather for me, with no set days or shifts, just and contracted number of hours they have to work. I give them targets to hit, and if they get the work done, they can go home early.

Then if they work overtime, to help cover holidays etc I pay them a higher percentage as an incentive. This can also be used, to get through your overflow when you have a bit too much work on.

OK so still thinking things through. I put 14 hours a week for wages as that's the actual time spent cleaning. 9_4. add hour break makes 16 hours a week. I don't take lunch. I stop for a brew when offered but would rather just work than stop mid day. So is it half hour or full hour I have to give? Also travel time. I would be picking up and dropping off. Should that be paid.Employer insurance seams cheap enough. I added it as cover to last two months of policy. Public and employers was 26.40 excluding ladders. Don't want worker going up ladders at all. I would feel so bad if anything happened.
I would do 4x 4 hour shifts. Not sure if its 10 min break or you don't have to give any breaks by law, check it out. and also you get a motivated person for 4 hours rather than taper off as the day goes on. get them to bang out the work, send them home then finish off on your own steadily to end the day.

Back