Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Chemicals on glass

RyanJfifer

Evening all,

I have a gutter job coming up and want to get in some good cleaning detergents. One question I have is are there upvc cleaning chemicals that damage glass if they come into contact- to avoid in this situation?

If for e.g was cleaning gutters or frames and some solution got on the glass, can I just rinse off with my WFP or would this smear or make the glass look streaky?

Bit confused as read lots of different opinions in the past.

Also could anyone recommend a strong upvc cleaner also? That can be rinsed off well and not leave potential smears if comes into contact with glass?

Many thanks for any help!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Most upvc cleaners will say do not let dry on glass because they will leave a mark I found this out by accident when I forgot to rince a window however I was using upvc max at the time and aims told to clean the glass with a glass polish and the marks came off fine took alot of buffing. Just don't let them dry

Alot of people use ubik 2000 since is a good price and works well you just need to get your mix right and don't let the dry either it's bio degradable so won't hurt plants etc but would give them a good rince off to be safe.

(Alot of cleaners on hear swear by ubik)

Aims do upvc max more expensive does a good job and you have a guy who runs aims will answer questions etc and I use upvc max on painted work and it's fine I won't risk anything else after I used ubik on my porch and the paint came off.

I do keep a solvent upvc cleaner in the truck for really stubborn stains if the windows have bad rubber bleed nothing but solvent cleaner or unger rubout will get that off.

Most upvc cleaners will say do not let dry on glass because they will leave a mark I found this out by accident when I forgot to rince a window however I was using upvc max at the time and aims told to clean the glass with a glass polish and the marks came off fine took alot of buffing. Just don't let them dry

Alot of people use ubik 2000 since is a good price and works well you just need to get your mix right and don't let the dry either it's bio degradable so won't hurt plants etc but would give them a good rince off to be safe.

(Alot of cleaners on hear swear by ubik)

Aims do upvc max more expensive does a good job and you have a guy who runs aims will answer questions etc and I use upvc max on painted work and it's fine I won't risk anything else after I used ubik on my porch and the paint came off.

I do keep a solvent upvc cleaner in the truck for really stubborn stains if the windows have bad rubber bleed nothing but solvent cleaner or unger rubout will get that off.

Hi Lawrence thanks for the reply.

Could I ask what you use to apply if it’s high up? I’m WFP, and quite strict with not using ladders unless I have someone footing the bottom as I’ve seen first hand what can happen if not.

I have some 2/3 story high gutters needing cleaning and tap water and a strong scrub alone hasn’t quite given the right finish.

I’m thinking of purchasing a back pack with an additional wfp for using some upvc max so I don’t mix up my brush with one that’s come into contact with chems. I’d rather get a lance sprayer to reach to where I need but can’t find a telescopic lance long enough.

Hi Ryan

All you need to do it for now is just get a bucket of chemicals dunk the brush in and and scrub away I would just wet down the gutters abit with a quick rince with the jets to stop the brush from dry out to fast.

Don't worried about chemicals on your brush when you rince off the gutters it cleans then head at the same time.

I use my sil brush for the gutting and the windows the running water on the glass will soon clean the brush and if you worried just rince off the glass and you be fine.

a back pack is nice but all I do then is just turn the flow right down and connect to my wfp and scrub with the mix coming out of the brush heads

I will say one thing if the gutting has not been touched for years nothing water based will get it back to looking like new only a solvent cleaner will do that but that's going up a ladder and wipe it on and wipe off which will take years to do. Or one of Dave's hypo mixes but I don't want to risk using that stuff.

One thing I tried the other day was to put solvent cleaner on my brush head scrub it over then wash it off that worked ok but I only did it after using upvc max to get the green etc off the solvent clear got most of the black staining off but it was not perfect but close.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock