Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who employs part time

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Does anyone have a permanent part time employee and if so how do you find it works vs working solo?

I'm thinking of getting someone to help clean windows and then canvass. Not quite in a position to do so yet but should be by the end of the year. Just thinking ahead.

I don't think I fancy being stuk in a van with someone full time everyday I like my freedom but it would be good to have a couple of days a week where we really bang out the work.

Going to give it a shot at somepoint, you don't know till you try just wondered if anyone has done it for a while and it works for them.

I wondered the same thing but then thought how much more work is it going to give me I'm not the best at the office side of things wouldn't want more of that ie:: tax & ni / workplace pension

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I wondered the same thing but then thought how much more work is it going to give me I'm not the best at the office side of things wouldn't want more of that ie:: tax & ni / workplace pension
Yeh. I'm not really sure whether I want it or not. Its a difficult one, seems like a whole world of trouble but then again there are plus sides.

But I have to ask myself if I want to clean windows for the rest of my life. I'm 35 so another 30 plus years potentially. Have to think if I did employ I could be off the tools in 10 years and looking at early semi-retirement. Its worth considering though.

I think I might get bored eventually of having a

full round and just plodding along earning a certain amount year on year. I think if I could eventually have lads working the glass that would free up time to look Into other business ventures. I suppose it's what you find motivating, as much as I like window cleaning as a sole trader and I do, it offers a good income and a good lifestyle I still think there's more to achieve in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have not got regular work but need extra help your best bet is to take someone on as a bona fide subcontractor. They can travel with you and even use your equipment but have to be able to do the work unsupervised. They also have to sort their own public liability, tax and ni so no extra paperwork for you apart from declaring what you pay them as an expense. No holiday pay outs either which are the law even if you take someone on as a part time employee.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Yeah the same I turned 40 this year and thinking about what I need to do
You have to have a good think mate. Its ok plodding along but I don't want to get to 50 odd and still be cleaning windows and think if I had have pushed on and expanded I could be semi retired by now chilling out in my Spanish villa rather than cleaning someones windows in the rain stepping in dog poo lol

Ive employed full time in the past. It was fine with regards to the company - i don't care being on my own or working alongside someone.

BUT when it comes to the additional paperwork, paye payments, written statements of terms & conditions contract, statuary sick pay, employers tax paying, pension provision etc etc it was a nightmare

Quite frankly if its for 1 individual then i'd avoid if possible.

I now only employee on a self employed/freelance basis. Good luck

Ive employed full time in the past. It was fine with regards to the company - i don't care being on my own or working alongside someone.BUT when it comes to the additional paperwork, paye payments, written statements of terms & conditions contract, statuary sick pay, employers tax paying, pension provision etc etc it was a nightmare

Quite frankly if its for 1 individual then i'd avoid if possible.

I now only employee on a self employed/freelance basis. Good luck
Yes I suppose if you going down the route of employing and expanding then these are all hurdles that would have to be overcome that's probably why a lot of guys don't it's daunting. I think it won't really pay off until you get to certain level like half a dozen employees then you can have an office staff taking care of all that side of things. But are you prepared for the many years of sacrifice and stress to get there that's the question I suppose.

Was just a thought anyway, it wouldn't be for a while yet but worth pondering.

Another thing to think about is the astronomical cost of employers liability insurance for window cleaners. That with all the other payouts included with taking on employees and your not gonna be left with much profit. I thought about all this a few years ago and come to the conclusion that unless I was thinking of expanding massively it's easier and more profitable to sub contract/rent my work out.

Plenty time to think about all that if it's just about the concern of getting old and doing a manual job as such. I am mid 30s and it's not slightly a concern yet, maybe in 25 year time. More to focus on now than that personally.

Sadly, some of the busiest window cleaners round my way are the "employers" who have 2 or 3 lads working for them on a daily cash in hand basis.

If you try taking the legitimate route you're at an instant disadvantage because your overheads are going to be higher a decent wage NI etc.

It's rife in this industry.

Given up on employes as they're all useless.

Past couple of weeks I have had a sub that seems to be working well. Cost way more than a regular employee would but as I only need as and when a couple of times a week seems the way to go.

What are the biggest window cleaning companies in the uk, anyone know?
No idea how big some are or are not, also are we talking domestic or commercial? Also a lot will be franchised.

I reckon the real big boys in terms of finances will be commercial with rope access and cherry pickers etc,, the ones doing skyscrapers and national contract for supermarkets and such like.

NWC seem to be a huge commercial company

On the domestic side ukwindow clean must be up there.

If your wanting to continue to expand at some point you will have to bite the bullet and employ someone, you could go down the route of subbing work out but these people are self employed themselves, just don't have enough work of there own, they also have no commitment to actually turn up every week. An employee ( a good one) is loyal, and works for the benefit of the business. (You) bringing that Spanish retirement closer every day.

I have one part timer on the books, contracted to 16 hrs a week but he usually works 24 and by summer I'll be in the position of offering him a full time contract. It's a right pain in the a*** to set up but once done its only ten minutes a week extra ad min

I have a few lads and it's an absolute nightmare!!

Ild go back to grafting on my own with an exit plan for when I'm getting creaky if I had the chance

The way I look at it is this kinda work is its a good way of keeping fit and healthy so I plan to continue as long as I can. I'd

rather be getting paid to keep fit than not. Plus I've worked for international companies with all the team b/s then they made me redundant, happens a few times ... This life style for me is pretty stress free, no micro managing boss. Like every one says you get out what you put in which is fine with me. The earning potential can be huge.

My advice would be to stay on your own. I've employed in the past. A nightmare. They go sick, they have holidays. They just don't turn up sometimes. And they resign giving u a problem. When my last lad resigned I sold him all my rubbish work and I kept the rest. Best thing I ever did. Work 3 days a week. Most of it is good well paid work. No hassle. Then again I'm not ambitious. I can't see the point in earning money that I haven't got the time to spend. Rather have the time to do hobbies etc.

Also dont forget vat if your thinking of staff you'll be going over that threshold if not already

What are the biggest window cleaning companies in the uk, anyone know?
tc (the lot that clean Tesco's, Toby carvery etc) have a large window cleaning department, but they also do normal cleaning and a few other things. But they do solely commercial work

Back