Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning first floor flat

WCF

Help Support WCF:

**** em...? I do a few for somebody else and the groundfloor always have a moan on, but never want there’s doing... I’d not take them on as my own work...

I do 2nd floor flats in 2 separate places. In one the ground floor f's and blinds at me everytime she see's me. On the other one I have had 2 different people complain so I explained how the system works and that it is just like it's rained but if they weren't happy after they had dried then I would come back and clean theirs free, gave them my card. Nobody, as yet, has rang me.

Most flats (owned or tenanted), have a service agreement that access to other flats and any work undertaken such as window cleaning ,burglar alarm,satelite dishs, they have to allow the other flats occupier a right to these services,whether it interferes with them or not,anarchy in a block of flats would break out, if  somene said you cant put a ladder against my wall to fit a satelite dish!!

I've usually got the prospective customer to have a word with their downstairs neightbour to explain that they have engaged the services of a window cleaner and tell them that some water will inevitably fall on their windows as a consequence. If they want me to put a card in saying when they were done and when I'm next due so that they can plan to clean their own windows in sync with me than I'm happy to do that. Most have appreciated the effort to be reasonable, but not all.

I seem to be in the minority that believe downstairs have a right to complain. It's not like rain, you are agitating the dirt then rinsing the dirt off which will spot downstairs windows. I've had people complain, so I have cleaned theirs for free then tell upstairs I'm not coming back for that reason. Now I don't do flats. I'm on my last one, but downstairs windows are filthy anyway and never say anything. When that's gone, that's it, no more flats! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I only do ground floor flats for this reason. 

I don't think it's fair to splash mucky water all over someone's windows. I wouldn't like it either.

I only do ground floor flats for this reason. 

I don't think it's fair to splash mucky water all over someone's windows. I wouldn't like it either.
I agree, if the windows are clean to begin with. The first example I gave, her windows haven't been cleaned for years. Don't see why I should clean them for free because some water from two floors above has gone on them. The 2 people that I gave my card to, who's glass was clean, didn't ring me after the residue had dried so there couldn't of been any marks left.   

Clean the window of second floor flat if no complaints no problem
If the person of bottom flat complains ask do they want a regular clean that you can do both at same time as can't stop water brooding to there window failing that just pop you pole over there window keep them happy

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

lol guys have i a story 

working  in london  we were cleaning this hotel where there was a shop underneath which was nothing to do with the hotel ,  they had already warned me about this guy , and how he was hard as nails and everybody was worried about him they had lost four other window cleaner because of him 

months go buy all ok , my wife was doing the front and me the back , next thing she comes running around the back  saying the blokes told her to stop of he will knock her out !

i walked calmly into the shop walked up to the counter and said i am here for you to knock me out so let go . with that a crabbed him buy the face and throw him on the floor , there i am stood on his chest with him shouting sorry and all that bocllocks , fast forward three years hes been very quite

sometime for fun a shout in the shop " want your go yet arsehole" not the best way to deal with people but i was foaming at the mouth with anger at the time if it was for her shouting in my lug not to destroy him i would of done six months for this bully  

best bit is if he would of throw a couple of can of coke at us each time were there i would trad the shop for free to keep everybody happy ! as the hotel pays very good money 

Last edited by a moderator:
lol guys have i a story 

working  in london  we were cleaning this hotel where there was a shop underneath which was nothing to do with the hotel ,  they had already warned me about this guy , and how he was hard as nails and everybody was worried about him they had lost four other window cleaner because of him 

months go buy all ok , my wife was doing the front and me the back , next thing she comes running around the back  saying the blokes told her to stop of he will knock her out !

i walked calmly into the shop walked up to the counter and said i am here for you to knock me out so let go . with that a crabbed him buy the face and throw him on the floor , there i am stood on his chest with him shouting sorry and all that bocllocks , fast forward three years hes been very quite

sometime for fun a shout in the shop " want your go yet arsehole" not the best way to deal with people but i was foaming at the mouth with anger at the time if it was for her shouting in my lug not to destroy him i would of done six months for this bully  

best bit is if he would of throw a couple of can of coke at us each time were there i would trad the shop for free to keep everybody happy ! as the hotel pays very good money 
Lmao, love it.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Further to my earlier post, if the inquirer won’t talk to their downstairs neighbour then I won’t do their windows. They often say, ‘Oh they won’t mind’ but then they refuse to talk to them. That tells me straight away that they probably will mind. 

Whilst I might think that it’s unfair that the downstairs householder can clean their own for free whilst the upstairs householder has to pay someone because they can’t reach them themselves, that’s not an argument I’m prepared to have with the neighbour. That’s for them to discuss and agree on, not me.

Like others, I try not to take on any new flats once the existing ones are off my books.

I Always tell a 1st. Floor or higher to get a deal with the downstairs first. In some cases i get another custy out of it.  Must say i once belived that the water was just like rain Coming down , but its really not . Went back to a complaint and it looked like s.... All that dirt from the others newly cleaned windows gotta go somewhere , and the only way is downwards , all that dirty water leaving their windows dragging down the walls is gonna mess up the flat below.  Thats why i dont believe the myth " oh its only rainwater-like ! " 

Back