Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When to start up?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jay74

Hi all. Advise on when to go full time start up? I'm currently in full time employment. I have a few houses to clean from word of mouth just as extra cash on the side. However I intend to set up on my own as I have some decent leads of work but it's not enough, I will need more customers to make it worthwhile, successful and to live off. I'm happy to door knock and canvas for work but without a company name and business and card it's not very professional. So would it best to set up as a sole trader with a company name whilst still be in full-time employment, then I can generate more work, work it in my spare time till it is a big enough round? Can that work? Has anyone done it like this?

I don’t have a business name, I just use my own. 
Get 500 cards printed with your name, and that your a commercial and domestic window cleaner. 
phone no, and email and little else. 
 Preferably no silly cartoon characters, and off you go. 
 Set yourself a target-£200-300 a week( a days work) and then give up your job. ??

Pick a business name and with no silly cartoons pics like jaygti said. Get on some free sites and advertise your business get some flyers made up. (10,000) and start posting in your spare time, then be ready  as your phone will start to ring. Lots of advice on this forum to help. 

I think @steve garwoodhas a cartoon type character on the side of his van and does ok
My signwriter says that a character on a van is far more easier in the eye (eye catching) than writing.

Around where I live, Wilger plumbing are the biggest plumbing firm by far with around 12 vans. All of them have a rubber duck on the side which instantly catches your eye 

image.jpg

We need to see pictures of it @steve garwood
Nosey git ?

Why no cartoon characters? I see lots of them on various tradesmen like vans? Do you think it looks unprofessional ? Just curious 
Clip art is Old school windows 98, it doesn't convay a professional image of one of quality in my opinion.

Also stay away from all the same old boring generic ones everyone has 

Be different be unique 

Clip art is Old school windows 98, it doesn't convay a professional image of one of quality in my opinion.

Also stay away from all the same old boring generic ones everyone has 

Be different be unique 
I’m not just saying this to back up my side of things, but I genuinely get loads of positive comments on my sign writing 

Each to their own but I don’t think it looks unprofessional at all. I think it’s something that maybe doesn’t fit well with larger companies who go after big commercial contracts etc but for a local window cleaner it looks fine and does catch your eye a bit. 

Signwriting is a tricky thing and if your a sole trader then it might be good to reflect your personality. 

A 'cartoon' style image might portray the person to be friendly, approachable, etc.

For bigger companies then a more formal type of signwriting might be more appropriate. 

I think having signage that is noticeable helps get your name out there. It's sort of brand awareness on a budget scale.

Some of you may remember when the mobile phone company Orange was about to launch? They had posters at bus stops, advertising hoardings etc that were just a single orange colour nothing else. They received lots of press attention and questions about what the posters meant. Then after a month or so they launched the company 'Orange', by then they lots of people sort of recognised the brand just by the colour on the posters. They gained recognition very quickly.

OK so window cleaning isn't quite the same as a global communications company but the more people see your van the more they start to 'trust' you. So something recognisable like a cartoon character might help to make people aware of you.  

There will also be people who think cartoon style characters mean the person in the vehicle is less professional. Everyone's different.

I've just booked my van in for signwriting and it's very plain and simple - a bit like me ? It's navy blue background on the recessed panels with white text, company name and mobile number with website in navy along  both sills. 

Back