when to up prices?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Gav, Jan 2, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

When do you think is the best time to up prices?

Now, April or march?

To avoid going years of not using prices then having to to a big hike I want to put all up each year by a little. What do you do, how much to increase by etc and how many do you loose through this?

Advertisement
  2. nearlyclean

Supplier

I always increase price every year 50p or pound and I do it january new year new start

3. Windowwhiz

Windowwhiz Guest

I monitor it depending on the customer. some I know i'd lose and others love our work and a raise is no problem.
    I would just say wait till the suns shining a little more, dont know what weathers like at your end but its rubbish in suffolk and people always feel happier when the weathers a little nicer. ie April/May

4. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

That is true. It is not to bad here at the mo sunny for next couple days. lets hope it lasts.

5. I''d say January is too early as everyone is skint from christmas etc

best time is april start of the tax year just when all the good weather is strating less chance of losing custom however you will lose some customers its un avoidable but as long as you raise the prices enough to cover the loss of using customers then your onto a winner as you have less customers to service but you earn the same money or ideally less customers earning more money.

in my experience the customers you lose usually are the **** ones anyways and it just paves the way for filling there slot with a more quality customer. Always give several reasons to the customer as to why you are raising prices and try and have a joke with them all smiles etc. most customers will find it too awkward to cancel on you, say jokingly do you not think i'm worth an extra 50p most people will do anything not to offend you or look tight so will be fine apart from the odd really tight customer who thinks you raising prices is the end of the world they are usually the ones that complain about literally anything, we all have them.

6. Windowwhiz

Windowwhiz Guest

Couldn't agree more!

7. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Ye sounds like a good time to do it I have not put any prices up yet but will think about it in April.

8. Hi Guys, on the topic of price increases, I'm also curious to know how do you charge for those customers who repeatedly request that you, the company owner, service their homes personally?
    I have a great crew of cleaners, but always have a few people who insist I do the work myself, which can be an inconvenience. ...I'm trying to figure out what kind of price increase I should charge for this "premium" service.

Have you encountered this with your businesses? Did you end up charging more?

Thanks!

Brian Finlayson
    Owner, New View Window Cleaning, Toronto, Canada

Advertisement