Where and How

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by MandMR, Jan 30, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. MandMR

MandMR Guest

Hi im newly starting a traditional method window cleaning company have all my equipment and me and my mate are gunna start canvassing this saturday. I was just looking for some advice i have 5000 leaflets and wondered how to pick a good area to leaflet drop and canvass , also as ruff guide how many calls would you expect from the 5o00 leaflet drops or canvasses.

Advertisement
  2. Masons

Masons Guru

Drop close to home for starts, and I'd expect 5... that way you'll hopefully not be disappointed, if you expect 3000 then you'll be disappointed.

3. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

when i first started, i knocked a council estate, which was a little bit rough, got 2 days work in a few hours of knocking, got lots of practise, and still got a days work there 3 years on,

4. its hard to say how many jobs you'll get with your leaflet as it depends how effective your leaflet is, what i'd advise is target the more affluent area first forget council areas, you'll get jobs easily in council areas but in the long run you'll find it a ***htmare getting paid from some of them. Start with the most expensive houses then work back the way towards the cheaper council types only when you have hit all the best areas do you target council areas if at all, be sure not to under charge a lot of people do this with lack of experience but you'll regret it in the long term as you'll hate doing jobs you don't feel you are getting paid enough for.

5. Mark Henderson

Have a drive round a few areas that pick your fancy to work in nd look out for windows with bird muck on. If there are quite a few like that all in the same area there's a good chance they don't have a window cleaner.

6. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

i understand that colin, but the reason i started in council areas was to build up afew days and get pricing right, and once i got everything right i started on the big houses, but what i found was that these get knocked all the time, by newbies and are badly prices

i live on a bought estate not council and i got quoted 4.50 for my houses i have 2 doors and 7 windows, the reason it was so cheap is that it gets knocked a lot so the wc who does the estate has to be cheap to keep the work, the house at the end of my road, has 3 x patio doors 7 double windows and 3 doors, and is £7

7. Good on you for canvassing and leaflet dropping. Not easy to be motivated to do that. Masons is about right with expecting 5 calls. It seems very minimal considering 5000 leaflets but that is about the average. Hopefully from 5 calls you win at least 3 jobs and so the game begins. From those 3 you should get a recommendation and so on. Keep up the good work! First year will be hard, but persistence will pay off.

8. laddergarder

I wouldn't bother with being selective about particular areas, I make more money on some council estates than I do in some better off areas, and they are great payers. The best advice there would be to build up work around where you stay and try keep things compact.

As a guide I would say between 0 and 2 customers for 100 leaflets, 0 to 8 if you knock 100 houses. But there is no telling really what you will get, I once went out to a quote and picked up about 12 new customers, they all just came out there doors, when I pulled up. Then on the other side of the table, I have spent 3/4 ***hts knocking doors, and not picked up a single customer.

You really just have to spend as much time as you can promoting yourself, and it will take as long as it takes.

9. i'm not saying that every council areas is full of just bad payers however, as you build your run well in my experience it is these areas that i struggle with a minority of customers dodging me when i am out collecting or don't have money etc. It can get very frustrating. They do seem to be easier to get in the first place though. Are there any new build estates being built where you are if so put lots of focus on leaflet droppin/canvassing these areas every couple of weeks as new potential customers are moving in all the time and usually just go with the first windy they come into contact with and if you provide a quality reliable service they will stay loyal. If its feasable get a website so your custies can pay online via paypal or give them details so they can do bank transfers, cheques etc. the less time you have to collect moeny in the better

10. James

James Guru

This really is a no win situation. Some council payers are excellent and some are terrible. However, some well off houses don't pay up and some are also excellent.

At the end of the day, canvass everywhere! Learn your pricing on the way, and you will get better. Being picky will get you no where. Money is money at the end of the day and it will keep your business alive.

Just work hard at it.

From 5000 leaflets? You could get 0 or 5000 calls. No one on this forum could even begin to predict what you could get as they have no idea of the area your canvassing or who the people are your giving your leaflets to. Just get out there and work your socks off!

James.

Advertisement