Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working on other windys houses?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Taxlossloz

Finished off commercial job and Picked up two detached softwash jobs - house walls - there windys don't offer it

Be a bit awkward tho - what you all reckon ? Is it fair game or is it not worth peeing everyone off - we all know each other and get on reasonably well

Meh, so long as you are doing separate jobs and not stepping on his toes touting for the windows I am sure it'll be OK.

I wouldn't go for Windows... Although one I did the PVC was minging not been touched for years - they deserve to lose the job

I just don't want to pee off the decent guys - most of em in my town are small companies with 3 or 4 employees who prob don't need to add house / drive cleaning as there happy just ticking there rounds over

Its good you are thinking of the impact on others, soft washing is a separate service, just do that and get out of there, or if there windows are dirty, ask them how much they are charged for window cleaning, maybe thats the reason, they are dirty? You could if you want offer a price that is more than other window cleaner, never undercut though, but you dont want to annoy anyone, is it worth it, keeping the peace and having peace of mind is a good thing:thumbsup:

Wouldn't bother me at all. I wouldn't be worried about losing a customer to you just cause you washed their walls.

Don't forget... no one 'owns' customers, it's their choice whom they use. I have acquired plenty whose windys wont (cant) do internals or go up a ladder to clear the gutters. I never held a gun to the customers head they just chose a better service provider.

As for the 'we're all mates here' BS, when the other local lads start paying my bills and putting food on my table I will worry about being more sensitive to them.

If someone asks you to do a job you can do then get it done.

i think id offer to do the windows too. sometimes businesses/people need to be shaken up -for their own good- over the years iv been confronted by other windies who are convinced iv been targetting their work [when i havnt,not knowingly]

its really funny when they stand there front of me all snarley and im po faced replying "but i didnt know you even exist "

i then like to explain "im carpet bombing this area with leaflets - not a single house is missed ,its totally ruthless and as it happens i am jus about to carry out another repeat bomb run. i cant stop

im sorry if you get hit by friendly fire but these things happen mate"

Last edited:
If their windys don't offer it then it's fair game. even with windows, like green said, it's the customers choice. No customer can be poached that isn't happy to be..just remember they could do the same to you sometime

Yes but would be stood there with a gardeners SLX and you still clean windows after
Of course you have to clean windows afterward @Taxlossloz. Its part of the cleanup. If you didn't, it would impact on your reputation even if you did an outstanding softwash job. You aren't canvassing the window cleaning job, but if the customer happens to ask you to quote, then that's fair. If you quote and they offer you the job, then that's their choice.

We do an annual conservatory roof clean, fascia and gutter clear and clean for 2 customers who have regular window cleaners. Their trad cleaners don't do what we do. The window above the conservatory only gets cleaned once a year, when we clean it.

We also clean the windows afterward. The trad guys are welcome to the job (I don't know who they are) but I've been doing these 2 jobs for years without any issue from the trad cleaners. (I often wonder if they get turned away the following clean after we have 'put the conservatory to bed for the winter.')

Mind you, I noticed on the last clean that the conservatory was looking very dirty, so I wondered if the trad boys had had their clean curtailed and the saving put toward the cost of my job.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
I got asked to price a block of retirement flats in November arranged to meet the manager and when I turned up their current window cleaner was there working which was slightly awkward as he was cleaning as I was pricing it up.

I have a mate in my town who does windows trad and gutter clearing

He doesn't do conservatory roofs or fascias

He actively sends that sort of work my way knowing i will do the windows as part of the job once dirty water etc has gone all over them

I send him the odd gutter clearing job as i don't do many of them myself as can't be bothered with the big ladders

It works well and no need for any animosity between us as we offer different services

I would not take any customers off him though as that would be sneaky

I would point blank say no sorry i can't do your windows

I have a mate in my town
Yes but we are not talking reciprocal deals with mates here @daveyboy , that's a different kettle of squid.

Any given week on my 'patch' I will see at least 3 other lads I know and just as many I have not seen before and out of all of them there is no 'agreements' or 'understandings' or 'mates' and everyone of them would take on anyone of my custys if the client asked.

There are no contracts in residential window cleaning, if a customer decides to change that is there prerogative and as grown men (and the ladies on here) we just have to take it on the chin and act like adults and not have tantrums cause you couldn't satisfy the clients requirements and they changed service provider.

Let's choose an imaginary windy...... we'll call him Bob. Bob has a customer whom does not want his service any longer as Bobs aftershave makes the customer gag! Customer calls me and asks me to add them on to my round. I turn up to job, Bob shows up with an extra dollop of Hi-Karate (reference for us oldies) and starts causing a scene and being a **** (door handle) in general. I don't need the drama so I say whatever, pack my squeegee and leave. Do you really imagine that the customer is going to decide that they will keep Bobs service after such to-dos? Cause not, they will simply not bother having a windy!

Back