Which Leisure Battery Charger ?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by paul1, Oct 9, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. paul1

paul1 Well-Known Member

HI guys

please can anyone recommend the best leisure battery to use for charging and over night charging etc that will keep battery in good shape?

and how often should I charge leisure batteries when not in use also?

cheers all

Advertisement
  2. paul1

paul1 Well-Known Member

Its a power line extreme 85ah 12v

3. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Ring smart charger, been brilliant for my battery

Google this :

Ring RSC508 8A Smart Charger

4. mark

mark Forum Addict

get your self a split charge relay kit from ebay.charge your battery from the alternator!!

5. Jake

Jake Grand Master

A friends alrernator was shot to bits with a split relay... Not sure there the best option, but a good idea none the less,

Also if your only doing short journeys, then it's not really with it, it never charges the battery enough

6. mark

mark Forum Addict

mine was installed in the van & charges both leisure batteries no probs.

7. Jake

Jake Grand Master

That's good

8. DanielT

DanielT Active Member

I use a numax cvx and ctek charger

9. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Leisure batteries should be charged the minute they are used, so a split charged relay is better for the battery

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#10 spruce, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    In theory a split charge relay or better still a VSR (voltage sensing relay) shouldn't effect the alternator at all.
    Occasionally alternators fail due to a faulty rotor (armature), field coils or a faulty bearing. In the old days tightening a fan belt too tight would cause premature wear on the front (bearing closest the drive pulley) and cause it to fail.

I'm sorry but I doubt most mechanics would have a clue why a component failed. That was my experience in the motor trade anyway. Gone are the days where mechanics would trouble shoot a problem. If it doesn't show up as a fault code on the computer then its down to guess work. I put them in the same category as window fitters who blame wfp for the failure of double glazed windows.

My VSR will draw around 8 to 10 amps from the alternator to charge my leisure battery. It could initially start off at 25 amps but drops back very quickly (within a few seconds) to the continuous charging rate. That's the same current draw (amps) as 2 only 55 watt headlight bulbs.
    A VSR will give priority to the vans starter battery so shouldn't be charging say 2 flat batteries at the same time. The VSR on my son's van is under the passenger seat and it can take around 20 seconds for the relay to click in after her has started his van first thing in the morning. You can heard the audible click of the relay as it switches the relay on. So his VSR does give priority to his van battery.

Advertisement