Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

which van should i get?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I run a 63 plate peugeot partner with a 850kg payload which comfortably carries a 500 litre tank, had it a year and has been surprisingly reliable, after hearing many tales of woe.
I just hope I'm not tempting fate.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Its always a gamble buying a van and individually any vehicle could be a good or bad one depending on what kind of life it's had. But I think your odds of getting a vehicle that won't let you down go up if you buy German and Japanese Makes. And conversely you have a higher risk of issues with French makes like turbos, injectors, electrical etc even though you could drop on a Renault/Citroen/Peugeot that just keeps going. Its just a gamble which is why I hate buying used vans! But can't afford new unfortunately.

I run a 63 plate peugeot partner with a 850kg payload which comfortably carries a 500 litre tank, had it a year and has been surprisingly reliable, after hearing many tales of woe.
I just hope I'm not tempting fate.

You must be one of the lucky ones. Joking aside my peugeot partner is a great van to drive and carries my 350ltr tank with no issues however i have had to suffer with the usual egr valve and turbo issues ect.

Horror stories come from people who pay for no attention to the early warning signs and don't change the oil as they often as they should.

I was pre-warned about the 1.3 combo which has the 1.30 fiat multijet engine in, So did a little research online one horror story I found was a bit of guy whose dad ignored all the warnings vauxhall struggling to starts on a morning then when it did the revs shotton up to 2500rpm and it was revving away all on its own then revs dropped to 500rpm he just carried on driving with like that for weeks.

Until it all went Pete Tong and cam belt snapped and caused engine damage to various parts of the engine.

2 mates of mine told me to do a oil change every 4000 mile and get cam belt tensioner checked at every service regardless

County Durham Lad

Horror stories come from people who pay for no attention to the early warning signs and don't change the oil as they often as they should.

I was pre-warned about the 1.3 combo which has the 1.30 fiat multijet engine in, So did a little research online one horror story I found was a bit of guy whose dad ignored all the warnings vauxhall struggling to starts on a morning then when it did the revs shotton up to 2500rpm and it was revving away all on its own then revs dropped to 500rpm he just carried on driving with like that for weeks.

Until it all went Pete Tong and cam belt snapped and caused engine damage to various parts of the engine.

2 mates of mine told me to do a oil change every 4000 mile and get cam belt tensioner checked at every service regardless

County Durham Lad

Bit extreme 4000 miles. Depends what milage you do. My citreon dispatch says every 20k oil change or every year. Oils these days aint like they used to be. I use genuine citreon parts too as makes a difference. But as long as you service your van it should be fine. Ive spent £800 the last 2 weeks on my van. Both driveshafts, service and front brakes disks and pads. But all this is general wear and tear. Our vans take a battering as most are allways on there limit. With the weight of the tank, myself, ladders,di vessel, reels and all the bits and bobs it soon adds up. Good job i went for the 1200kg payload long wheel base.

Bit extreme 4000 miles. Depends what milage you do. My citreon dispatch says every 20k oil change or every year. Oils these days aint like they used to be. I use genuine citreon parts too as makes a difference. But as long as you service your van it should be fine. Ive spent £800 the last 2 weeks on my van. Both driveshafts, service and front brakes disks and pads. But all this is general wear and tear. Our vans take a battering as most are allways on there limit. With the weight of the tank, myself, ladders,di vessel, reels and all the bits and bobs it soon adds up. Good job i went for the 1200kg payload long wheel base.
My van which I've only had 8 weeks will be lucky to do 4000 mile a year, Oil change so often may seem extreme but issues can develop because a vehicle isn't getting a decent run out, I know virtually zero about motors so i am happy to follow the advice I was given.  :1f609:

The older Berlingo/ partner are a decent van . My dad is going to pick up one tonight for peanuts. Like them all though they are great when they are going! 

Ive had the horror of the newer models so I’ll never advise anyone to touch them lol

Mine is the swb model so lower payload

County Durham Lad

mines a 62 plate mate its a old model as well , i give a 700 for it with front end damage (replaced bumper and one wing) hit the road for a cost of 1000 fully serviced and a years mot  just 65k on the clock cheap cheap cheap my son drives it like he stole it so its getting limited to 70mph on Tuesday 

The older Berlingo/ partner are a decent van . My dad is going to pick up one tonight for peanuts. Like them all though they are great when they are going! 

Ive had the horror of the newer models so I’ll never advise anyone to touch them lol
good vans and you can get a 900 one that as a good payload , sprue is the man to ask about these he worked with them 

mines a 62 plate mate its a old model as well , i give a 700 for it with front end damage (replaced bumper and one wing) hit the road for a cost of 1000 fully serviced and a years mot  just 65k on the clock cheap cheap cheap my son drives it like he stole it so its getting limited to 70mph on Tuesday 

Deffinetely it is the only way to get your moneys Worth out of a van . Another thing is that all you need to do is look how many are still on the road with the age of them ! Partly the reason my dad is getting the van is for the tow bar on it that I need to use occasionally. I was quoted 500 for a detachable tow bar for my Audi and he can buy this van for 600. So not hard to do the maths lol

Round our way there seems to be plenty of W and X reg pug/Berlingo knocking about so I don't think they are that bad.
A few people say" well I only do 6 or 8 thousand miles a year" but these are classed as "arduous conditions". My van does about 8000 a year and I have them serviced as such.
I always believe in looking after your vehicle because mostly,it should look after you.

Back