Why I've Been Absent From Wcf For 8 Months.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Masons, Mar 14, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

  1. Masons

    Masons Guru
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,700
    Likes Received:
    36
    Hello all,

    It's long time no speak from me and I've decided to come back to explain why, not because I feel I have to or that you want an explanation but because I want to for those who'll wonder and also as an aid to those who may now or one day go through what I've gone through.

    For those of you who do not know me I'm Will and I've been a member since October 2011, so almost 2 and a half years.

    For the past 10-12 years, or at least as long as I can remember, I've had sciatica, a sharp pain running down from the base of my back to my knee in my left leg. It's something I've tried treating before with physiotherapy on the nhs.
    But the problem would arise only when I'd done a particularly long day and would go the day after so I never thought much to it.

    Then, last July on Monday the 2nd I started the day normally but by then end I was in agony with my sciatica.

    The rest of the week showed no improvement and it's been the same since.

    I haven't been on here because I've had a lot on my plate trying to keep the business going, keep the family going and get through this injury.

    It turns out one of my legs is 8mm longer than the other, which has meant my spine is curved and twisted, and my body has been functioning for the last 27 years in a position it shouldn't have to.
    My back in particular has been working at full capacity, growing and then working in a position incredibly unsuited.

    I tried physiotherapy for 3 months, no use. And while doing this I had been booked in to get an MRI scan to determine if it was maybe, a medical condition with my bones, a tumour or other problem affecting my nerves in my back.



    It turns out one of my discs in my back is severely prolapsed and has constricted the nerves in my back to a very tiny area, and has given me constant, day and night pain.


    But since October I have been seeing a chiropractor, who FULLY explained how everything worked and gave me advice which has meant that I've been able to work and exercise while trying to correct this.

    During this time also a surgeon said surgery to cut away this disc herniation would be a long term solution to my problem.

    I had some progress as I said with my chiropractor, exercises, massage and skeletal reallignment have greatly helped me but he also agree'd at the end of 3 months of treatment that the only real solution to my problem would be the surgery, I showed him the MRI scan and agree'd that the disc prolapse was at a size that wouldn't heal itself.

    So since January I've been on the waiting list for surgery, I'm booked in for May 1st, the day before my 4th wedding anniversary, for a microdiscectomy. And recovery should be 6-8 weeks, meaning by the time I'm back at work, a full year of my life will have been affected.

    I write this also for any window cleaners out their who experience similar pains in either or both legs which could be a sciatica to see a Doctor immediately.

    I've paid a huge price for my being too lenient with my health.

    There's a 95% chance I'll recover and be able to continue working as a window cleaner, but there's a 5% chance my nerves may be permanently damaged, to any degree from loss of sensation or considerable pain, and there's also the chance that surgery could leave me paralised or in very very rare cases dead (very small risk but it has been something that I think of a fair bit).

    I'm hoping to continue on here, come back regularly but so much time before was spend trying to get things done with great difficulty or trying to escape the situation by reading or watching tv or playing games, as coming on here was hard as I want to work, and I love work, I love my business and love providing for my wife but when I couldn't I didn't want to constantly be thinking about things I couldn't do.

    So yes, my reasons are here. I hope everyone is ok and from what I've briefly seen it seems to be doing well.

    And welcome to all the new ones too.

    If this post can help just one of you I'll be glad.

    Thank you for reading. :)
     
    Advertisement
  2. OoO

    OoO Guest

    Good to see you posting again, i have never come across you before (fairly new)

    Welcome back and good luck!!!!
     
  3. mark m

    mark m Hero
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2012
    Messages:
    6,622
    Likes Received:
    529
    Nice to have you back Mason sorry to hear about your sciatica I know it is a pain I injured my back approx. 20 years ago and every since then it get a bit of sciatica running down the back of right leg thankfully not often and manly in the winter .I hope the operation goes well and you get back on track with your business
     
  4. Dodger

    Dodger Hero
    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    7,218
    Likes Received:
    289
    Echoing thoughts from the other guys Mason. I hope the treatment works out for ya and everything including the family and business hold it together in the meantime. I had wondered actually so good to see ya back and good luck Im sure all our thoughts will be with ya on the big day.
     
  5. rcproperty

    rcproperty Hero
    Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    Messages:
    8,037
    Likes Received:
    244
    Was thinking about you the other day and wondered why we haven't seen you about, glad to see you back on.
    Hope all goes well with it all,
     
  6. Belfastcleaning

    Belfastcleaning Grand Master
    Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    4,626
    Likes Received:
    112
    I too was wondering where you had gotten!!

    I was offered surgery to try straighten my spine after I crushed 3 vertabrates. I was interested until he said we go through your chest, lift a few things out of the way to get to my spine, build it up like mechano with rods and screws, and take bone from my hip to replace the crushed bone.. I was warned I could be left paralyzed or dead, was something like 97% success.. My luck I'd be in that 3% so I passed on it.. Thing hat worries me is what will I be like in 10 or 20 years or older, only 26 now..

    Hope all goes well for may pal
     
  7. adyspurs

    adyspurs Guru
    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,065
    Likes Received:
    68
    Good luck mate with everything,got mw thinking myself many thanks and all the best to you,really hope it works out.
     
  8. Posh

    Posh Hero
    Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    Messages:
    5,902
    Likes Received:
    954
    Welcome back masons. Hope everything goes ok. Good to have you back.
     
  9. Gmeister

    Gmeister Grand Master
    Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2012
    Messages:
    2,959
    Likes Received:
    72
    I wondered what happened to you too!

    Good to see you back, at the same time sorry about your sciatica and hope your treatment goes well!
     
  10. Tuffers

    Tuffers Hero
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    Messages:
    9,397
    Likes Received:
    2,745
    Me too, all the best mate. What happened to that fella who couldn't spell too. Forget his name now.
     
Advertisement