Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

help with pwm

Dave B

Staff member
@spruce or anyone else in the know i am after some advice

My speed controller for my pump on my diy trolley is broken

It works if i bypass it so that is definitely the problem and i am controlling the flow rate via a rectus fitting with tap attached

It's not ideal as it is a cheap pump and i worry i will kill the pump plus i can't turn the flow right down as the tap gets to a point it just shuts the water off instead

Any links etc to what i need would be greatly appreciated

I looked at pwm on ebay but i don't know what i need as they all look different

Plus i will soon be adding a flowjet or sureflow pump for more reliability so it needs to be able to cope with that also

Thanks in advance as i know there are some clever bods on here

I don't know if its what you need Davey!!!!maplins sell speed regulators£5.00.ive used them in the past,it would be a quick fix.they use these on backpacks.some even use these on van mounts!!

@spruce or anyone else in the know i am after some adviceMy speed controller for my pump on my diy trolley is broken

It works if i bypass it so that is definitely the problem and i am controlling the flow rate via a rectus fitting with tap attached

It's not ideal as it is a cheap pump and i worry i will kill the pump plus i can't turn the flow right down as the tap gets to a point it just shuts the water off instead

Any links etc to what i need would be greatly appreciated

I looked at pwm on ebay but i don't know what i need as they all look different

Plus i will soon be adding a flowjet or sureflow pump for more reliability so it needs to be able to cope with that also

Thanks in advance as i know there are some clever bods on here

@daveyboy. I'm not a fan of these cheap PWM controllers. I fitted 1 to 2 different backpacks and the 1 failed shortly after I fitted it.

If you are going to replace your pump with a Shurflo or Flowjet then that's the right way to go, but you must remember that these pumps draw a lot more power than the smaller backpack pumps do. My advice is to fit a proper controller and also fit a bigger battery if necessary.

Pure Freedom sell a really good trolley system using a Shurflo pump and a proper Spring digital controller with DE. The reason why it works so well, is reliable and lasts so long is that they fit good quality components.

I honestly believe that this is what you should be doing.

There are many guys on YouTube who investigate if and why electonic equipment, most made in China, fail to meet the specifications they advertise.

Here is one:

bigclivedotcom

Most of the cheap electronic junk that comes out of China is at best very poor quality. Should we be putting our livehood at risk by buying cheap electronic garbage? Your system is only as good as its weakest link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @spruce

I will get one off ebay for now as i will be using the trolley alongside a backpack

I get a van in a couple of months which is when i am going to change pump etc and use it as my van mount connected to my tank and reel and have the option of using it as a trolley also on the lots of awkward access jobs round here where i have to go for a long walk to the backs down alleyways

Then i will change it for a spring controller

Used a tap on all mine for years.

Never had a problem

I did fit one of those cheap controllers & it hard let made any difference

For a DIY system the £3.34 spent on a pwm - I feel - is money well spent. Yes you take a risk but at that price, and the fact they are from China, I ordered a spare or two. I agree that the spring controller is the way forward and will provide the reliability but - so far - I am still on my original £3.34 10amp pwm. Usually with these cheap components I find that if they are going to fail they will do straight away - as Spruce has experience with - but how long did the other one last Spruce? I have my cheap pwm on my van mount board and find it will let the pump (shurflo) dead end as long as it's turned to at least 50%, personally I can't recommend them enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

this is what I like about forums!!its all about trial and error.what works for some doesn't work for others.at least you have an option or options.personally I think there ideal for backpacks

For a DIY system the £3.34 spent on a pwm - I feel - is money well spent. Yes you take a risk but at that price, and the fact they are from China, I ordered a spare or two. I agree that the spring controller is the way forward and will provide the reliability but - so far - I am still on my original £3.34 10amp pwm. Usually with these cheap components I find that if they are going to fail they will do straight away - as Spruce has experience with - but how long did the other one last Spruce? I have my cheap pwm on my van mount board and find it will let the pump (shurflo) dead end as long as it's turned to at least 50%, personally I can't recommend them enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Its still working.

Back