Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How often should filters need changing.

shazzy692002

Hey Guys.

Here is my system.

I know the bottom filter needs changing when all the blue is gone.

The next one up, white one, was changed about a year ago, which made the fillup half the time to what it was before it was changed.

The reason I ask, is I am now getting spotting on the windows, even thou my water is normally 0.00 or sometimes 0.01 max 0.02....Its also taking forever to fill, about 8 hours.

Any advice muchly appreciated.

View attachment 2511

Spotting is caused mostly by dirt suspended in the water droplets/drips that are left to dry on the glass so is down to the technique in rinsing and using upto 2 ppm wont make much difference to be honest. Don't get this confused with hard water marks on glass though as some damaged glass you will find will not come clean without using a hard water stain remover no matter how you rinse.

Spotting is caused mostly by dirt suspended in the water droplets/drips that are left to dry on the glass so is down to the technique in rinsing and using upto 2 ppm wont make much difference to be honest. Don't get this confused with hard water marks on glass though as some damaged glass you will find will not come clean without using a hard water stain remover no matter how you rinse.

The problem is, this only happens occasionally. which makes me think one of my filters need changing. Its happened before, but as soon as I changed the white filter, it cured it. The problem is, how do I no....I don't have spotting normally, so its not my technique, as the guy that's works with me is having the same problem. Think I may need to bite the bullet and just buy another one. Thanks tho smurf, advice appreciated. x

The white filter you are on about is the 4040 and is unfortunately the most expensive thing to change on that system. Being that you only changed it last year I would say it should be fine. Are you still doing a salt back wash once a week so the membrane doesn’t get clogged?

Slow water production could be caused by a number of things as a 4040 ro needs good pressure to run efficiently.

When did you last change the sediment filter and carbon block filter?

Have you checked that the mains tap pressure has not dropped and the inline mess filter is not clogged (if fitted) ?

The white filter you are on about is the 4040 and is unfortunately the most expensive thing to change on that system. Being that you only changed it last year I would say it should be fine. Are you still doing a salt back wash once a week so the membrane doesn’t get clogged?Slow water production could be caused by a number of things as a 4040 ro needs good pressure to run efficiently.

When did you last change the sediment filter and carbon block filter?

Have you checked that the mains tap pressure has not dropped and the inline mess filter is not clogged (if fitted) ?

Haha, now I am confused. Smurf you know to much haha.

I do salt daily in a back wash before filling but a back wash flush weekly. The other 2 filters have never been changed in the 2 1/2 years I have used it, there is a meter number thing on one, which is not quite there yet. x

Maybe I should get a job at ionic systems then:D

I looked into buying a system from them a while ago and decided not to as the purchase price & running costs put me off a wee bit. o_O

Mind you I am a tight ****:D
Believe me, my hubby is a real tight ass, we have to have Chinese every sunday now as he refuse to pay the extra for indian haha...

Yes ionics is a rip off, unfortunately I new nothing when I brought round/van.(I no very little now). but I vary rarely have problems with my cleaning, so it has to be a problem with water, (im not being big headed,). lol.

When I flush it out at weekends, I have to time it 20 min, today I gave it 40, so hoping that may do it better, if problems this week, then will need to call van extras, much more helpful than ionics. Thanks for your help tho smurf, its appreciated. x

Shazz I use up to 007 & don't get spotting but have also got it once when my water was 001 so with me it was my fault or my technic. I just didn't rinse enough. As with filters ill be asking the same questions one day as know nothing about em. RC used to help me but he's gone now

I do flush it for about 30 mins before using & 20 mins after using. Mine also takes ages to fill.

About a year ago I had the "white" one changed and it filled up in half the time, I called van extras and they sorted it for me, but it cost me about £500. I really don't wanna have to pay that again.

Last night I had 1/4 tank left and it still took 7 hours.

Wish I had a instruction manual with it..

I've just spoken to ionic systems & the chap said he will send the instruction manuals to me what they have via email. Therefore if you can pm me your email address I can forward on to you. /emoticons/wink.png

About a year ago I had the "white" one changed and it filled up in half the time, I called van extras and they sorted it for me, but it cost me about £500. I really don't wanna have to pay that again.Last night I had 1/4 tank left and it still took 7 hours.

Wish I had a instruction manual with it..

@shazzy692002 I've received the instruction manual in a pdf now so when you have time pm me with the email address you want it sent too.

I've also tried to upload it on here so could be shared with others but got the following error message "The uploaded file is too large" as is 1.98 mb in size. Sorry folks...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just spoken to ionic systems & the chap said he will send the instruction manuals to me what they have via email. Therefore if you can pm me your email address I can forward on to you. /emoticons/wink.png
Wow smurf you really are a star. Love you dude hee hee.

@shazzy692002 I've now just sent you the instruction manual via the email you gave.

It's packed with all the info you should ever need including fault finding.

Hope it helps?/emoticons/wink.png

I've got a pro 6 system and I do the salt backwash and then flush only once per week. I've had the same RO unit for over five years now and it's still going strong.

I've got really good water pressure here (90+psi) which helps. I often run with readings of over 10ppm without spotting.

It may be a stupid question but how thoroughly do you clean the frames, particularly above the glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a pro 6 system and I do the salt backwash and then flush only once per week. I've had the same RO unit for over five years now and it's still going strong.
I've got really good water pressure here (90+psi) which helps. I often run with readings of over 10ppm without spotting.

It may be a stupid question but how thoroughly do you clean the frames, particularly above the glass?

I have cleaned the same way for the last 2 1/2 years, so im quite sure its not my cleaning, I am sure its the ro, as its taking 12 hours to fill from empty. I think I am going to just have to buy one, over £500 tho, so bit gutted, I don't know what my water pressure is.

I have had this problem before, and changing the ro fixed the problem.

You must be really unlucky then. I'd talk to ionic because they should last much longer than that.

I know they'll probably say that you're not looking after it properly but that's unlikely to be the cause even if you're not sticking to their schedule.

@shazzy692002 that's just a standard 4040 ro which is fitted to that ionic pro system you have that a replacement membrane (inside bit) can be purchased from anywhere for about £250 as you don't need to buy an new housing each time. You can get two types of membrane now h4 or h5 the latter works better on a lower psi. I still can't see the reason why you think that ro membrane would need to be changed in such a short space of time as should last years if kept well maintained surely?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also shazza as it may have been said on here before.some windows are prone to spotting,I've a block of flats I do and it's the only job on my property management list that's spots .The windows are shot to pieces ,upvc knackered and rubber seals gone.

As long as you educate the customer and let them know you'll be fine.

Back