Window beads delaminating.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Gilly, Jun 8, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gilly

Gilly Member

[​IMG]

Iv never seen this before. Has anyone else seen this?

Advertisement
  2. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Yeah i have on a couple of old houses
    Seems to be the south facing side each time where the sun is always on it

3. spruce

spruce Grand Master

These frames are usually white UPVC plastic with a wood grain vinyl stuck over it. The vinyl is coming unstuck. Our customer owns Polar Windows and he told me.

4. Gilly

Gilly Member

The upvc is brown underneath spruce but your right about the vinyl.

5. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

Lol Drop customer before ur blamed lol

6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Sadly you are probably right peter rogers. I would be very nervous about this and certainly draw the customers attention to it. If its only on one trim then its probably worth the risk but if delamination is more wide spread then I would take measures to ensure that I wasn't held responsible.

I would be thinking along the lines of a waver. Gilly you aren't the cause of the problem, but anyone cleaning those windows will be making the situation worse whatever the cleaning method. And of course nature (wind and sun) will also be a factor.

The fact that the base plastic is brown will make the problem less noticeable. My Polar windows customer's vinyl is on white UPVC. When a window is open the white is very noticeable. I like the wood effect look but don't like the way its done.

-

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Gilly

Gilly Member

Unfortunately they weren't in when I cleaned but they are reasonable people (last famous words) so I'm sure it will be ok. It's just two glazing bars that are the problem not the whole frame.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

8. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

Polar window spruce,no them well
    We're are you based?

9. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Some people like the plain brown windows, others go for a upvc window that has the effect its made from wood, this is known as a woodgrain window. Its this woodgrain effect that's peeling off.
    Brown, black and woodgrain can be more troublesome than white upvc windows as they can expand and contract more on hot days. This can cause the locking mechanisms to go out of line and clunk as you shut the window.
    When I was a window fitter, I got called back on more 'dark' windows than white ones when it came to peeling or the locks out of line

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Saltburn by the Sea Eviestevie. Our customer works out of Middlesbrough. It seems quite a big operation as they have quite a few lads working for them. About 7 years ago he told me they had a personnel of 80, mostly fitters.

According to the owner they gave up on residential as commercial was much more lucrative. And judging by the life style they live, the business must be earning it.

-

Advertisement