Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

"They're pretty clean, we'll give it a miss this week"

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Guido Possum

I got this the other day from the ******** I do every fortnight when I walked in to confirm with the manager that they were up this weekend.

She tells me she'll pass this fortnight.

I look at the shopfront: the windows are still clean.

Hmm.

On the one hand, it's good to know I did that good a job, but on the other that's the second business who've decided the windows aren't getting dirty enough to warrant a clean every two weeks.

Mmmmm.

Of course, I haven't exactly gone nuts on the whole canvassing thing, so I suppose I'll have to get onto that because although I haven't lost any of the 7 customers, and found them adequate practice, I'm seeing how fluid the regularity can become: since they are their windows after all, and if the service isn't needed on a given week, who in their right mind would pay for that service to be carried-out mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
that job needs a different soap them i use fairy liquid on these jobs as it leves the glass sticky i have a sepurt bucket and mop the job will soon become 2 weekly also if u have allredy said 2 weekly then ide have just turned up and cleaned then walked in with the bill if u walk in and ask most will say leve it if there prity clean

sometimes it pays to let it drag. start going every 3 weeks,then 4 . in the meantime make a real proper effort to find fresh work. then drop that original job

never tell them best to just fade away is my experience

I find this a lot with residential properties customers telling you there windows are still clean

when you know there not, iv started telling people I will have to charge extra next clean as the

job will take longer id rather loose unregular customers and keep the good ones.

They are paying you to maintain the windows buy keeping them clean.

If you leave them till they are dirty it means the frequency is to long.

If I left my shops go till they were noticeably dirty I would have complaints.

That's the point of regular maintance window cleaning to keep them looking good otherwise up the price.

I have shops I clean weekly some 3x a week.

And never ask permission if you priced it a 2 weekly then crack on and Bill them after.

Recently put up a residential from £20 to £25 (which is still a bit underpriced)...when I called the night before she said "OK to clean tomorrow but could I change to every other clean"? When she paid I asked "did I give you a price for a 12 - 16 week clean"? (Currently cleaning the road 6 - 8 weekly)..."no" she says...I explained how the less frequent clean would take longer so it would be £30...she then asks for my phone number...think I'm in danger of losing this one.

Recently put up a residential from £20 to £25 (which is still a bit underpriced)...when I called the night before she said "OK to clean tomorrow but could I change to every other clean"? When she paid I asked "did I give you a price for a 12 - 16 week clean"? (Currently cleaning the road 6 - 8 weekly)..."no" she says...I explained how the less frequent clean would take longer so it would be £30...she then asks for my phone number...think I'm in danger of losing this one.
I think you're right mate. Shoulda kept it at £25 unless u don't want her anymore

that job needs a different soap them i use fairy liquid on these jobs as it leves the glass sticky i have a sepurt bucket and mop the job will soon become 2 weekly also if u have allredy said 2 weekly then ide have just turned up and cleaned then walked in with the bill if u walk in and ask most will say leve it if there prity clean
We've got fairy here, though it's $6(£3)/bottle, would any dish-soap with a moisturizer do the trick? /emoticons/smile.png

We've got fairy here, though it's $6(£3)/bottle, would any dish-soap with a moisturizer do the trick? /emoticons/smile.png
im not shore about other washing up liquids i do no fairy is the worst for leving glass sticky maby wrth using bottol on the belt that way £3 bottol of fairy will probly last a year,just pore some fairy in a old washing up liquid bottol then fill with water pore strate on ur mop then when u have done the job put cap on and leve in van till ur due again to clean the shop again thsat way u wont wast ur fairy liquid /emoticons/smile.png

They are paying you to maintain the windows buy keeping them clean.If you leave them till they are dirty it means the frequency is to long.

If I left my shops go till they were noticeably dirty I would have complaints.

That's the point of regular maintance window cleaning to keep them looking good otherwise up the price.

I have shops I clean weekly some 3x a week.

And never ask permission if you priced it a 2 weekly then crack on and Bill them after.
That's the way you'd think business owners would see it, but I'll certainly not confirm again next time; up until now the manager - Lisa - has always just said "yep".

Last fortnight she asked me to skip the outside and do the inside (where I typically do the outside only each time), but yeah; I ordered a bottle of sone cheap commercisl window cleaning concentrate and I might have to just leave it out.

Only $8/litre, but even the windowd at home all look clean as a whistle and I haven't done them in over two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going shopping in a bit. So is that plain fairy or fairy platinum?

The worst of all the soaps I've tried that, as well as aldi magnum apple. Coincidence that they are both green, who knows.

The worst of all the soaps I've tried that, as well as aldi magnum apple. Coincidence that they are both green, who knows.
Yeah I tried some straight on the applicator this arvo. They looked clean enough after squeegeeing, so outta curiosity I rubbed the fairy-cleaned windows with a fresh-washed cloth; that brought it out - every swirl mark is still there /emoticons/smile.png

Filthy with residue :thumbsup:/emoticons/wink.png

I think you're right mate. Shoulda kept it at £25 unless u don't want her anymore[/quote
I've got a few too many 'every other' cleans and they're not paying any more than others in the same streets with similar houses....I have to introduce a price differential....it's not fair on the other customers....adjustments are going to be made when I do my price rises....if they leave, so be it....I suspect if/when they get another quote they will be pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced I am....a lot of my customers I inherited from a windie that never increased from the day he started in 1980....the prices are getting there but are still a way off from the local going rates.

I always add a few quid for 8 weekly, not always loads more but i only offer 4 weekly to them then when they say can we do every other month i say sure i usually charge a few pound extra though as they take longer to clean. most of the time they agree that sounds fair, make a point they are saving money over the year usually works.

Back