Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Jobseekers

Kevin kiernan

Sun was out yesterday. First time this year I've seen the jobseekers popping out the woodwork. I will admit i was very annoyed with him as he was cleaning a house next door to the one i was cleaning for a fiver, exactly the same house as the one i was cleaning for 11. He said hes allowed to work 16 hours a week on his jobseekers, and doent have to pay tax on his window cleaning earnings! This cant be true surely?

The best bit is i asked him where he got his equipment from, haha and he showed me this! I hope he falls of his ladder and brakes something like his cistomers car windscreen, or his legs!

View attachment 2531

Sun was out yesterday. First time this year I've seen the jobseekers popping out the woodwork. I will admit i was very annoyed with him as he was cleaning a house next door to the one i was cleaning for a fiver, exactly the same house as the one i was cleaning for 11. He said hes allowed to work 16 hours a week on his jobseekers, and doent have to pay tax on his window cleaning earnings! This cant be true surely?
The best bit is i asked him where he got his equipment from, haha and he showed me this! I hope he falls of his ladder and brakes something like his cistomers car windscreen, or his legs!
All true Im afraid /emoticons/sad.png bet he doesnt have liability insurance!

Nothing worse then seeing someone doing it on the cheap like that. Hopefully it will reflect in his work, especially when he realises he has to spend money on new rubber etc.

Can't blame the chap for wanting to work so far play to him for doing so. It's just a pity that most when starting out just sell on price alone so to try to win plenty of work which in turn ultimately devalues the service. It's been going on for years so the sad fact is ppl are price conditioned how much they should be paying. Hence why some areas are not worth working unless you want to be a busy fool.

I think the problem I have with it is that I bet the guy goes over his 16hrs every week. Its almost impossible to police, and so its taken advantage of IMHO. And also, technically they are undercutting the taxpayers that pay thier benefits. Its not black and white, but I can see why some people get the hump. I personally just don't like seeing someone selling a service with substandard equipment- maybe because I'm a tool whore./emoticons/biggrin.png

We all have to start somewhere no matter what kit we use and the hardest part is getting off yer **** and finding the work to do. That's why so may undersell their services I think.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility
found this above, shocking, you do get job seekers while working on average less than 16 hours.
Surely jobseekers allowance does not cover self employment, you have no proof of your earning or hours. I know it was a long time ago, but when I was managing an office there were several people there on 16 hrs, and they had to produce their wage slips every so often. Also, they didn't like doing overtime as this affected their payments. So how do they know you are working 16 hrs, when you're self employed?

great find....i think its the government forcing a lot of people out there and they wont last....and no i wouldnt foot the ladder for him for sure.....

I wonder how many customers he had!
ha not many, its a really difficult situation as, as soon as your earning above that you have to report to the job center etc how much you have earn t a week, then they give you benefits according to how much you earn t, even if your Just off benefits your still not earning enough to get by i think, if they let you earn more before taking the benefit away then people could actually survive.

ha not many, its a really difficult situation as, as soon as your earning above that you have to report to the job center etc how much you have earn t a week, then they give you benefits according to how much you earn t, even if your Just off benefits your still not earning enough to get by i think, if they let you earn more before taking the benefit away then people could actually survive.
Like I said, how do they know you're telling the truth. Sounds like a good wangle to get on!!

Back