Window cleaning in the rain

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Tom in leeds, May 29, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Tom in leeds

Tom in leeds Newcomer

Hi there, now I'm looking at taking over and expanding my fathers window cleaning business of 33 years with my brother. I'm sure I will have many questions on ths site but my first one is-

What are people's thoughts on window cleaning in the rain ( fairly heavy not just a passing shower) does it stop play and does it ruin the clean?

As its been a gradually building side business for my dad he could always afford to call it a day if the wether was a bit ****.

My feeling is that we need to crack on in all weathers if we want to expand.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I'll work in light rain and drizzle, but you have to duck and dive if it's raining all day I find.

3. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Hi & welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

If you like getting wet then crack on but I would not trad windows myself if it was raining unless I was working indoors.

4. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Although it's possible to trad when it is raining, customers won't like it. Slight drizzle, light rain is OK, but if you want to build up the business, you'll have to bite the bullet when it's peeing down.

5. TolishAPurd

If I was a WFPer then I would go for it every time. But as a trader, I won't anymore. Its hard, if not impossible to get a good result in heavy rain. I've seen the finished result of my work in the rain after its dryed, and its not good. That said, if the rain starts when I'm half way round the house, then I finish it regardless. Also, if the rain is just light, or even heavy with no wind (therefore protected by the overhang of the gutters), then I crack on. Its just a judgement I make on the day.

Another thing to add is that it depends on finances too. I have other jobs I can do which keeps the money coming in, and the bills paid, but if all I did was window cleaning, then I would be very unhappy to take a day off due to rain in this country. I find it pays to diversify.

6. tench0771

tench0771 Grand Master

i only wrk in lite drisel or very lite rain if i have to not keen on geting wet my custmers rnt keen on me cleaning in rain:rolleyes:

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

crack on is what i do- its not true that customers dont like it - well one or 2 do and they do kick up a fuss so much so that you Think its a real problem for everybody . not true. fact is the majority say nothing and dont give a hoot

8. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

another way of looking at it is
    when the weather is gd make the most of it work hard get the cash in
    when it is wet dont loose gd customers by working in rain that would really xxxx you off
    gd luck

9. cheapncheerful

i just wish it would peeeee down so i can have a bloomin break....

if i wanna finish something unless its really bad it gets finished..but i never set out if the forecast is bad...however...and that it the worst...they canna get it right and sometimes i sit at home looking at a could have worked day...grrrrrrr

the weather is the worst aspect of this job......

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

when u need the money and your workers need the money you must go to it. we work in all weathers and it gets easier once you face up to it. i lost about 5 customers who didnt want us in the rain,not many . i recommend working in the rain

Advertisement