Window cleaning squeegee challenge

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by H MAN, Apr 9, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. H MAN

H MAN Forum Addict

Have yet to see anyone do smaller residential window using 18 inch squeegee /scrubber in one.
    On a pole at height.
    CAN YOU??

Advertisement
  2. RichieRich

RichieRich Member

3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I haven't got an 18" swivel squeegee but i can do those skinny side ones easily with my 14"
    Good skills Herman

4. H MAN

H MAN Forum Addict

Yes would normally use a 12 inch squeegee on that one also.
    Thought try the scrubber squeegee on smaller windows see how that went.
    Just wanted to see if anyone else out there uses big squeegee like that on a pole.
    This scrubber/squeegee we generally use on high big glass like shop fronts on a pole.

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

I mostly wfp now but cleaned traditionally since 1991
    The last year before making the change i used ladders as infrequently as possible and got myself a wagtail setup on a pole and practised so much I could do whole days without ladders on residential work
    It is definitely a skill to have even when wfp as i know i can work all day even if my setup breaks down
    I watched wagga's vids and Bob Hatt's and took advice from Bob when needed
    Definitely worth anyone learning

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Hi H MAN
    Sorry to Hijack your thread but I'm unable to send you a private message.
    You have a lot of experience with window cleaning using a squeegee and applicator so was wondering if I can please ask for your advice.

We clean the internal windows of a local leisure centre - photo at bottom of the page. One of the jobs is to clean these 10 panels of glass overlooking the swimming pool.The top of the glass panels is a little over 8 meters from the edge of the swimming pool. The glass panels are approx 3 meters in height.We have about a meter of standing space from the edge of the pool to the vertical 'wall' the clock is hanging from (where the life guard's chair is).
    The pool is heated and very humid. Despite the humidity, water dries extremely quickly on the top of the glass panels, probably because they are warm due to the environment. The glass panels are double glazed.
    At the moment we clean these every 3 months. We use 2 Teleplus Unger poles, one with an applicator and the other with an Unger Fixi clamp with a towel for detailing. The third pole is my slx40 with the brush head removed and an attachment fitted to hold a 0 degree Unger pivoting/swiveling squeegee.
    My son wets the glass and I quickly follow with vertical strokes with the squeegee making a bit of a poor job blading the window off one stoke at a time. Whilst I do that son will grab the Teleplus pole with the fixi clamp and detail the edges. Its rather crude but we somehow make it work. It takes ages. Those 10 panels take us around an hour. (Last Friday evening it took me an hour and a half as I was doing it alone.) The problem is the limiting standing room we have. Sometimes I get a straight flat clean stroke but other times the squeegee doesn't sit on the glass properly and I miss bits out.
    We clean these panels after the pole is closed. The owners have a floating cover that goes across the pool after hours but we can't stand on it.
    I was looking for a easier way to clean these windows. I have thought about a Wagtail but at the angle and height I can't even get my current squeegee to swivel.
    I currently use an angle adapter on the end of my pole with a Quick-loq taper cone adapter for traditional tools from Gardiners.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spruce

IMG_20140917_111531.jpg

7. steve garwood

steve garwood ginger lion

Why not take your speedos and do them from within the pool :thumbsup:

8. Duncs

Duncs Grand Master

spruce at the moment your straught pulling that job
    bet you could wagtail it witrh the flipper not having to change poles
    soapy then flip onto the squeegee it is high but if you can straught pull it sure you could fan it with wagtail 18"

9. H MAN

H MAN Forum Addict

Yes if you could get a bit further back you could use a Wagtail.
    May as well put your speedos on have a bit of fun.:laugh:
    Have a adjustable angle adapter on the pole so to get the correct angle to the glass.
    In the video below shows how we done higher window using a Wagtail.
    The pole used was a fibreglass one this is why there is a bit of flex.
    But if you have a carbon pole this would be better and lighter.
    This was made about 3 years back but it will give you an idea of what we mean.

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Hi Herman,

The problem is the acute angle.

In the same leisire center we do other windows overlooking the entrance foyer which are over 10 meters high. Those are easier to do as we have a larger floor space to work from and I can pull the squeegee down in one long stroke by walking backwards. We also don't have the heat or humidity.

I had seriously thought of buying a wagtail to see if that would work better.

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement