Window Ledges

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by rjacandwc, Dec 12, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. rjacandwc

rjacandwc Well-Known Member

To some of you this may come across as a silly question... I never really had this problem last year as the temperature was above freezing most of the time... Quite mild in Suffolk last year!... Although, this year seems a little different... The nights have been colder than normal... -4 and this has created a huge frost on the odd day this week. I normally give the ledges and frames a wipe... I know some people do not - But, I do... and the windows and frames are ok... but. the ledges have had a thick layer of Ice on them and it is slowing me down too much!... I have not been starting until 9-10am time (rest of the year 8.00-8.30) in hope that the ice would of melted. But. the Sun has been struggling to get up!!!... It normally takes me 20-30 mins do do a house Trad... But, today, I felt that the Ice on the ledges held me back... I used my scraper!... But. still seemed a pain!!!!... Some ledges I just left... Because they looked clean with Ice on... Although, some had the usual spiders mess, leaves etc frozen under the Ice and where making the ledges look dirty... I want to do a good job... Efficiently... Any Tips lads?????????? and Christmas Carols please lol

Advertisement
  2. stevelewis

stevelewis Forum Addict

its been the same sort of temps round my way aswell mate but still been starting my normal time in morn ( 8 or 6 when i do my shops ) i usually take hot water in a couple of containers in van plus a couple of flasks with boiling hot water in then pour into a spray bottle, take it with me and spray the cills with the hot water that melts the ice and the quick wipe with the cill cloth and your done, beats scraping ice off! :)

3. rjacandwc

rjacandwc Well-Known Member

Tried hot water in a spray bottle today and this worked well... Trouble is after the first couple of houses the water in the spray bottle had got colder and was not helping me attack the ice on the ledges as much!... Although, I got away with it as the sun was up when I got to my 3rd, 4th, 5th house etc... I do 90% of my round on foot... Is there anything around like a spray bottle type flask thing????????... I reckon this would solve my prob.... Not only that in the summer I tend to use a spray bottle on the odd house... if they have forgot to leave the back gate unlocked etc... I find that most spray bottles I have tried end up breaking... The plastic triggers normally go in the end!!!... So, some type of "industrial spray bottle type flask" thing'ney bob!!! would work great all year round!... Have you seen any thing like this around?... and Thank you for the tip... it saved me time and money today!!!!

4. A.K WINDOWS

ive had same issue for the sake of the time of year id just leave them well i do and hopefully next time your round they will be fine to do as normal you can only work with the weather dont stress old mate;)

5. Posh

Posh Hero

I've left mine. When it melts it takes a lot of dirt off it when it runs off. To be honest even at my last house today at 3.15 the ledge was still half frozen.

6. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Same, I leave them too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ml-Decosol-Trigger-DE-ICER-Melts-Ice-Fast-Winter-Windscreen-Car-Protection-/200864360602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ec472e89a

What about that?

7. Dodger

Dodger Hero

I've had a problem with it today as well, did a couple of houses this morning which were bad but I'd heated my water so just poured some out bottle on it and melted it away but as said as water cools it doesn't work. Did 1 more house after a meeting this afternoon but fetched some concentrated screen wash (cheers G) and put a fair bit in my unger soab, I just used that for ledges on last house spraying some on before I cleaned glass and by time it got to wiping it the ice had melted, job done.

8. david247

david247 Banned

you can try a bit of anity freeze in it

Advertisement