Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stubborn spots on glass

WagtailMat

Hey guys I'm new to the window cleaning game did my first two story house today took me 4 hours but there where white paint spots well I think it was paint and it was nearly impossible to get them off with a glass scrapper and everything what could it be? It was like inside the glass ? Course the outside and inside was smooth hope I make sense have a good day

Hi Mat and welcome. Any chance you took a photo? Very hard to identify the issue otherwise. Possibly water staining. If it was paint, should have come off easily with a scraper.

Na I didn't sorry it was a bright white color only on one window drove me crazy trying to clean one panel for a hour

If just 1 window I would look around for any clue as to what it could be as said could be water staining if its an opener or near hanging baskets ,are there signs of an old wasp nest that's been sprayed or is there a BBQ near window .Next time don't waste too much time on them do your best and move on to next window. Always keep some cif in motor gets most marks off

Hey guys I'm new to the window cleaning game did my first two story house today took me 4 hours but there where white paint spots well I think it was paint and it was nearly impossible to get them off with a glass scrapper and everything what could it be? It was like inside the glass ? Course the outside and inside was smooth hope I make sense have a good day
Winsol crystal clear for water stains

Solvent cleaner is great for residue from stickers paint etc

if the marks were "inside" the glass, between the first and second layer, it sound like the window was punctured. when that happens the window gets foggy.

anyway dont use to much time on every pane. remove only natural stuff added to the window such as; bird poop, traffic film, snail marks, general stuff from Wind and weather, and leave paint, mortar, silicone etc. on the glass and charge the customer for a glass "restoration" if they want it off, usually on a hourly wage.

I always scrape paint spots off when tradding on a ladder as it takes seconds

If it is bad staining on the glass i just say to the cuustomer i have cleaned it but it is a stain..don't waste time on it

hi and welcome to the friendly windowcleaning forum wagtailmat..

yep as above ...dont get too carried away that becomes another chargeable job..

I have loads with blown double glazing and its very hard to see if youve left a mark or its in the glass can send you mad sometimes..

and as for decorators..builders..etc..well they put it on so they can fe ckin get it off...

or I will at a price...

when you first start out its natural to want to impress and do a good job but...at the end of the day remember what the min wage is...and add some for your equipment and being there....something to bear in mind..

oh dont worry even in his old age cheapie still gets caught out...

that bush cut for twenty quid has really stuck in his mind...

and as he heads to one on monday which was described by text as..do you clean the glass and plastics...inside a conservatory?

well cheapie has cleaned the glass before she sat and watched him...so does she mean the glass roof...ahhhh now that is a different kettle of fish...so cheapie already has his speech ready...and he aint going to do it cheap...

window cleaning above all is about experiance if you have a :turd: day or...

week as cheapie just has...stick it in your memory and crack on..

oh cheapie wont forget this week...but he did like the one pint he had for £2.08

tammys...maybe it was called...nice end to the week..well it was just a shame he couldnt have more because he was driving...:rolleyes:

sometimes cheapie has to get em off....just because the previous windie ignored them cheapie spent an extra half the normal time again getting them off because...it would naff up his squeegee...so yep sometimes you have to get stuck in..

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mate where is best place to buy winsol from in uk
I get mine from window cleaning warehouse mate

And I think it's a good practice to clean off paint etc ( not just dirt) it don't take long and once it's done that's it

I never put paint on so I am not risking a scratch getting someone elses mistake off will remind home owner to get a good painter in next time .

Had a free sample of Unger rub out didn't work for me

I get mine from window cleaning warehouse mateAnd I think it's a good practice to clean off paint etc ( not just dirt) it don't take long and once it's done that's it
cheers mate going to get some of that i9 think

Back