Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Pole Advise

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Duxbury

Hey guys. I am currently in the process of setting up a DI only WFP system in my van. I am currently in full time employment so am in no huge hurry, I want to get it right. Have been looking at which pole to get and wondered if anyone had any advise, heres where I am at.

I will be working solo. Im looking to mainly do residential, with a bit of buisness, so im thinking around the 25-30ft size, I cant really afford to be buying 2 seperate poles at this stage (I reckon a 20ft and a 35ft would be ideal but money is money) but I want to be able to at least go to 3rd floor windows without too much problem. While im pretty strong, I do have constant pain and a weakness in my left wrist from a bad scaffoid break that never really healed properly so weight and ease of use is important (You may ask why im going window cleaning, its got to be easier on wrist than lifting gearboxes and other car parts in and out all day.....). Finally budget, I dont really want to be spending more than £200, but I can stretch to about £250.

Ive been looking at a Gardiner CLX27, Grafter PLUS 24ft or a Glyder 25ft.

The Gardiner from what I can gather is probably the best qaulity at around £240 all in.

The Grafter PLUS is cheap and more rigid with the extra carbon fibre content, I reckon I can pick one up for around £180-£200.

And theres a Glyder ex demo going for sale at the moment for £260 all in, which seems pretty good, and being all CF its light and rigid.

Now I know the Gardiner stuff is good, my Dad and another friend have both reccommended them, but my question is really would the Ionic stuff be worth it considering you get 'more' for your money, or are they liable to fall to bits?

And if any1 else knows of another make I should be considering please advise.

Many thanks

Yeah I agree my last pole was a grafter pole and had nothing but trouble from day one. I was phoning ionic at lease once a month with problems so I just went out and bought an slx 30 so for me it would be gardiners

I would recommend a carbon fibre pole.. When I first started I went for the cheaper pole (clx) yes it saved me a few quid, but on the other hand it was a waste of money too, as since I went for full carbon fibre I don't use the cheaper clx anymore..

The carbon fibre poles are a lot more rigid, not as floppy as the clx, this will help you physically, and will give you more control, allowing you to clean faster.

The clx 27 reaches all my third storey, and my slx 22 reaches some.. I do need to use the clx for a few windows but hate using it now especially fully stretched out..

You could go for a slx 22... Around £300? And then extend if or when you need to go higher

Dont buy ionics, I had grafter.(not plus). 17ft and 28ft, both lasted about 3 weeks, then come apart, ionoic fixed them with glue, which i had to pay for p£p.

3 weeks later it happened agian. the 17ft was being used 4 days aweek 5 hours a day, the 28ft was only be used about 8 hours a week. They are a pile of pooh.!!!!

1 year down the line , 17ft had been sent back 5 times. each time glues, each time i had to drive 15 miles to the depot to send off. Now they are over a year, ionic refuse to do anything....

So i brought a sl-x18, the reach on this is as good as 28ft ionic. seems a good pole, but only had it about 3 weeks.

I wont ever be using ionincs again, you pay for what you get.

Good luck

Yeah I agree my last pole was a grafter pole and had nothing but trouble from day one. I was phoning ionic at lease once a month with problems so I just went out and bought an slx 30 so for me it would be gardiners
Ha, so im not the only one who had problems with ionics pole.
I was also ringing them every month. they love there glue.!!!!!!

would not touch them with a barge (grafter) pole...lol

Thanks very much guys. Looks like youve saved me alot of hassle...... To be honest I phoned Ionics for some prices direct from them and was told someone would call me, which they didnt, wasnt the best first impression........ One other question, if I could stretch to the SLX range, do thye still have trouble with leaving a black residue on your hands? I know thats a small problem but just curious to know.

lol I was just thinking the same keep telling me I was using thd old glue and I must of bought about 20 levers because they kept breaking

I couldn't tell you on that one because I haven used mine that much because of the snow but that wont bother me

The newer slx poles uses a Matt carbon finish. As found on the extremes.

I rarely get black hands from a two year old extreme.

We have just bought an SLX 18 and 25 and they use the same technology. So I would imagine you would get at least a year of full time work before you get any black hands.

My advice is keep is simple to start of with.

Me personally I would go for the Clx 27 you probably won't need two of the sections most of the time. So just take them off and keep them in the van/car.

When funds allow go for an extreme 25 and buy the 6th section extension.

Extremes are amazing. Best pole in the world simple as.

Avoid ionics poles. They are over priced pieces of garbage.

I haven't used the Gardiner poles but only ever hear good things about them.

I too expect the clamps to come unstuck whichever poles I buy, I take it as a given. I just have a tube of araldite to stick them back on and it's sorted. Permanent!

If you're in no hurry, get yourself on the Brodex mailing list and buy their offers as they come up. You'll probably be able to get an 8ft, 18ft and 25ft for £250.

I've also got a couple of extra lengths to take the 25ft up to 36ft you're welcome to if you want them.

Hey guys. I am currently in the process of setting up a DI only WFP system in my van. I am currently in full time employment so am in no huge hurry, I want to get it right. Have been looking at which pole to get and wondered if anyone had any advise, heres where I am at.
I will be working solo. Im looking to mainly do residential, with a bit of buisness, so im thinking around the 25-30ft size, I cant really afford to be buying 2 seperate poles at this stage (I reckon a 20ft and a 35ft would be ideal but money is money) but I want to be able to at least go to 3rd floor windows without too much problem. While im pretty strong, I do have constant pain and a weakness in my left wrist from a bad scaffoid break that never really healed properly so weight and ease of use is important (You may ask why im going window cleaning, its got to be easier on wrist than lifting gearboxes and other car parts in and out all day.....). Finally budget, I dont really want to be spending more than £200, but I can stretch to about £250.

Ive been looking at a Gardiner CLX27, Grafter PLUS 24ft or a Glyder 25ft.

The Gardiner from what I can gather is probably the best qaulity at around £240 all in.

The Grafter PLUS is cheap and more rigid with the extra carbon fibre content, I reckon I can pick one up for around £180-£200.

And theres a Glyder ex demo going for sale at the moment for £260 all in, which seems pretty good, and being all CF its light and rigid.

Now I know the Gardiner stuff is good, my Dad and another friend have both reccommended them, but my question is really would the Ionic stuff be worth it considering you get 'more' for your money, or are they liable to fall to bits?

And if any1 else knows of another make I should be considering please advise.

Many thanks
slx 25 will do everything, 294 inc vat.. full carbon, free carbon gooseneck and brush of your choice atm

Thanks again guys. Definatly going to stick with the Gardiner stuff for now then I think, may leave it until my last purchase and see if I can afford to stretch to a SLX but if not sounds like a CLX will do just fine. :)

Before you buy a pole gimme a shout.

Just about to give away an slx 22, i think we have some slx's and clx's.

Before you buy a pole gimme a shout.
Just about to give away an slx 22, i think we have some slx's and clx's.
Would buy a Cxl or Slx of you Damo pm me if interested would pay p&p as well

NO. give the slx22 away. I ned one. lol.
Or even better, do a raffle for a good charity.
think your ok Sharon Damo states he may have another that's the one I'm offering to buy never tried a Gardner pole so more an experiment for me

Raffle sounds good!!

I think the black hands come from the dust that comes off the sections when pulling up and down.. Just the way the clx would turn your hand pink

Back