Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wiping soap away

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yogi1872

Have been watching alot of videos as changing over from trad to wfp.  What I've noticed on YouTube is the people doing it trad are more like frame restorers .  Getting all the marks of the frames sills etc.  Surely I'm not the only person who does none of that?. There's hardly any on my run where the soap has to be taken of the sill, it's a case of clean the window then next one leaving the soapy sudds behind.  It would take about an hour to do 2 houses doing it the way in the videos.

Have been watching alot of videos as changing over from trad to wfp.  What I've noticed on YouTube is the people doing it trad are more like frame restorers .  Getting all the marks of the frames sills etc.  Surely I'm not the only person who does none of that?. There's hardly any on my run where the soap has to be taken of the sill, it's a case of clean the window then next one leaving the soapy sudds behind.  It would take about an hour to do 2 houses doing it the way in the videos.
Don't be to consumed by youtube 

Most and I mean in general trad chaps just clean glass

Youtube has alot of showmen and yesmen who like to make out they are the bees knees.

UPVC / frame restoration is a whole different ball game in my opinion and takes 4 times longer to achieve 

You can go to far with the task in hand however once you cross that mark it's expected by the customer on every clean and profitability is key. Give away to much but get little back 

The local trad guy round here, who has at least 6 men working for him, does wipe down frames and sills but doesn't do top frame and above

When I was trad I used to wipe all the framework and sills down but certainly didn’t remove every last mark from the frames that’s restoration , I was the only trad guy that did this all the others only did glass , I deliberately did it this was to set myself apart from the competition, and it worked . 

Like my parents alway said "always clean up after self" and "always leave things better then when you got there"

So yup I wipe the sill and frames! It don't take anytime at all, and if slows you down to do it then learn to catch a majority of the water/soap/dirt with your mop because your using a mop in one hand and the squeegee in the other hand.

Your right there are not many people that do this. Which is why there is a lot of money in it.

The first clean on a property I do always takes longer as I spend time removing paint splatters on the glass, cleaning up the frames to bring them back to a level that I am happy to maintain.

This is reflected in the price and my customers are more than happy to pay.

The moerman squeegee gets close to corners and edges so no detailing is needed for the most part but I find that the bottom frames need a good wipe with a dry rag, but these new squeegees make work faster.

When we were trad we would wipe the sill once we had done the glass but not the frames, would only do the frames on a first clean if they were really bad and would charge extra for it.

You say that you're changing from trad to wfp. What is your concern regarding it?

No concern, I had been watching alot of videos for tips and came across people doing traditional too. They were doing all the frames etc too though. Unless asked (which is rare) I've always just done the window the the soap has been left at the bottom.

Your right there are not many people that do this. Which is why there is a lot of money in it.

The first clean on a property I do always takes longer as I spend time removing paint splatters on the glass, cleaning up the frames to bring them back to a level that I am happy to maintain.

Ditto, TWC. ?

This bottom flat has 4 windows like this, 2 front 2 back. That's how I leave everything I trad. I charge £7. How much would you charge all in ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305_110422_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_110422_Gallery.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 42
Looks like a mess leaving them like that imho for the sake of wiping a cloth along the bottom of the frame/sill which takes seconds and then you won’t get dried soapy water marks.

The overall time saved adds up to alot. I wouldn't have a problem doing it tbh. No one really wipes the frames or soap away around here. I can count on one hand the number of houses I have to take the soap off. Would be going through around 30 scrims a day if it was done with everyone.

Why use scrim to wipe the sills ? Scrim is for detailing round the rubbers if needed then run your squeegee along the sill to get most of the water off then wipe over with your wet cloth/microfibre job done takes seconds.

No concern, I had been watching alot of videos for tips and came across people doing traditional too. They were doing all the frames etc too though. Unless asked (which is rare) I've always just done the window the the soap has been left at the bottom.
Think theres been a very similar thread to this one correct me if I'm wrong. Me personally i don't see point in just doing glass and not wiping frames, some only do glass with Pole method too I don't see point in half a job. If i where a customer I'd want that service of fames cleaned its a bit different with restoration as its stained in and discolouration from weather as it shows customer hasn't maintained their windows regularly.

Back