Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A little bit green

WCF

Help Support WCF:

P

Pickingpaul

Ive been using 25L bottles and a trolley system for a few months ow, using a DI vessel I fill up the water containers on my drive and leave them there until the next day i need them, sometimes several daysver weekends etc.

Twof them were looking a it green the other day, I wondered if anyone else has had this, and how can i avoid it? Its being left in the sun i guess and algae or something has started growing.

Clear plastic containers/tanks algae will grow eventually in them. Also wiggle micro organisms too so is not much you can do about it apart from washing them out now and then with a disinfectant to kill the algae etc. Keeping them out of sunlight might help to slow down the process but will still need sorting out after a while.

I wash all my clear plastic tanks out when they get bad at least once a year.

You could also recycle water through a uv bio steriliser filter too if you wanted which is a bit over the top for window cleaning if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrap them in black shrink wrap its a cheap enough even if it lasts a month or two.

Cheers, as long as its totally normal, i just wasnt really expecting it.

Shrink wraps a good idea.

Clear plastic containers/tanks algae will grow eventually in them. Also wiggle micro organisms too so is not much you can do about it apart from washing them out now and then with a disinfectant to kill the algae etc. Keeping them out of sunlight might help to slow down the process but will still need sorting out after a while.
I wash all my clear plastic tanks out when they get bad at least once a year.

You could also recycle water through a uv bio steriliser filter too if you wanted which is a bit over the top for window cleaning if you ask me.
Would this do mate?

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Household_Cleaning/ASDA_Smartprice_Disinfectant_Pine_1L.html

Use bleach to clean them, keeping them out of UV as much as possible helps as it's the UV that allow the bacteria to grow and develop algae.

Use bleach to clean them, keeping them out of UV as much as possible helps as it's the UV that allow the bacteria to grow and develop algae.
Cheers, what do u do? Just squirt some bleach into each container with a few liters of water and then give them a scrub? And rinse out well after?

It's fine if you replace the minerals ans heavy metals via another method otherwise it completely desalinates your body.

Bit of bleach and hot water, shake well, empty and rinse a few times.
Cheers eclipse, needed some simple advice there, do u ever use a brush in there? On a couple of bottles its quite green at the bottom, but i guess the boiling water and bleach and shaking will sort it? :ninja:

If the water is pure where does the algae come from??Confused.com
I think it comes from the company who sell bleach :ninja: either that or yahweh's responsible:laugh:

I have had water in a water bottle for over 2 weeks to see how it last, its sealed and indoors. so far it started at 0.00, after 1 week it went to 0.01 and 2 weeks still 0.01....I think keeping it inside and sealed it the answer.

I have had water in a water bottle for over 2 weeks to see how it last, its sealed and indoors. so far it started at 0.00, after 1 week it went to 0.01 and 2 weeks still 0.01....I think keeping it inside and sealed it the answer.
I wish i had a garage for them shazzy, i might have to get one of those little storage sheds for them, as i just leave them on the drive for convenience, they will be neater too.

I wish i had a garage for them shazzy, i might have to get one of those little storage sheds for them, as i just leave them on the drive for convenience, they will be neater too.
Wont be long before they freeze too.

Never needed to agitate, leave a while if it doesn't all come off first time.

Cheers eclipse, needed some simple advice there, do u ever use a brush in there? On a couple of bottles its quite green at the bottom, but i guess the boiling water and bleach and shaking will sort it? :ninja:
Your water shouldn't freeze until well below - 10c

Latest Posts

Back