Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Booster Pump, New Membrane or Something Else?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

I bought a 2400 GPD system from Purefreedom in September 2400 GPD High Volume RO System C/W Auto Shut Off & 1000Ltr Tank - Reverse Osmosis - Water Purification, I'm not sure if I bought the HF4 or HF5 membrane, but I remember going for the option where I could get away without buying a booster pump. My water pressure is just under 40. I make about 300L a day. The PPM coming out of the RO is 011PPM, it was coming out at around 007/008 when I first bought it. I changed the pre-filters over the weekend hoping to bring the TDS down, but it hasn't changed, it's still coming out at 011PPM. The membrane is 40", could it be that I need a new one or would I need a booster pump to bring it down?

Calling @spruce, @doug atkinson or @Alex Gardiner

I bought a 2400 GPD system from Purefreedom in September 2400 GPD High Volume RO System C/W Auto Shut Off & 1000Ltr Tank - Reverse Osmosis - Water Purification, I'm not sure if I bought the HF4 or HF5 membrane, but I remember going for the option where I could get away without buying a booster pump. My water pressure is just under 40. I make about 300L a day. The PPM coming out of the RO is 011PPM, it was coming out at around 007/008 when I first bought it. I changed the pre-filters over the weekend hoping to bring the TDS down, but it hasn't changed, it's still coming out at 011PPM. The membrane is 40", could it be that I need a new one or would I need a booster pump to bring it down?
Calling @spruce, @doug atkinson or @Alex Gardiner

Changing prefilters won't directly effect your r/o membrane's output tds. The only time there will be an improvement is if the filters were blocked with sediment and restricting the flow of water to the membrane.

If you went for the membrane option of a membrane that you could get away with, then probably it was an HF5.

Processing water in the winter on a low pressure will restrict the flow of water through the membrane so could effect the output tds of the membrane.

I would suggest a booster pump will help you such as the one Gardiners supplies. If you have an HF5 membrane, the booster pump is within its window of operation.

The other point to remember is that if the membrane has been chlorine damaged or frost damaged, then boosting the pressure may not give you the results you expect. But even if you do need a new membrane, a booster pump will help you to produce a better water quality in the future.

Unless there is something really wrong, I can't see there should be a membrane issue in an r/o that was purchased just a few months ago.

Maybe @Alex Gardiner or @doug atkinson will have other suggestions that will be helpful.

So your running around 94% as you are? Increasing the pressure will increase the efficiency. My water pressure is similar to yours but I boost mine to around 100psi using a HF4 membrane.

Remember the pre filters don't do a thing for your TDS. The sediment filter protects the membrane from debris and the carbon filter/s protect the membrane from chlorine. Do you flush your membrane at all before/after? Going back to a few post recently gardiners fibredyne filters are good for around 37000 litres (10") so if you haven't kept on top of your filter changes you could have subjected your precious membrane to nasty chlorine and sediment.

Also remember - as a lot of people forget - temperature plays a big part too, so once the temperature goes up so does the efficiency

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

So your running around 94% as you are? Increasing the pressure will increase the efficiency. My water pressure is similar to yours but I boost mine to around 100psi using a HF4 membrane.Remember the pre filters don't do a thing for your TDS. The sediment filter protects the membrane from debris and the carbon filter/s protect the membrane from chlorine. Do you flush your membrane at all before/after? Going back to a few post recently gardiners fibredyne filters are good for around 37000 litres (10") so if you haven't kept on top of your filter changes you could have subjected your precious membrane to nasty chlorine and sediment.

Also remember - as a lot of people forget - temperature plays a big part too, so once the temperature goes up so does the efficiency

I flush a couple of times a week while I'm transferring water from the IBC to my van. My prefilters are 20".

So the question is have you used 70k of water before changing the filters? 94% isn't the best but your input TDS isn't too high so you could potentially get away with running the membrane for a while yet, it just means you'll be using more resin than usual when your post TDS is up to 40. I say 40 as that's the point I will replace mine but I know Spruce has a lower figure from his previous posts. Adding a booster pump will certainly increase productivity and membrane efficiency - even at this point in your membranes life, it's just whether you fancy the outlay at this point. I recommend the genie booster in a box (although pricey!) a few people in here have used Clarke equivalents which offer the same/similar performance.

So the question is have you used 70k of water before changing the filters? 94% isn't the best but your input TDS isn't too high so you could potentially get away with running the membrane for a while yet, it just means you'll be using more resin than usual when your post TDS is up to 40. I say 40 as that's the point I will replace mine but I know Spruce has a lower figure from his previous posts. Adding a booster pump will certainly increase productivity and membrane efficiency - even at this point in your membranes life, it's just whether you fancy the outlay at this point. I recommend the genie booster in a box (although pricey!) a few people in here have used Clarke equivalents which offer the same/similar performance.

Well, the good news is that I have stack loads of resin. I bought 6 bags in the summer as had to move into a holiday let while my new house was being built. At my previous house I was DI only, but the TDS at the holiday let was sky high, hadn't got the facility to use an RO, so I was going to DI my water until I moved to my new house. Long story short, but the water at the let was eating my resin like no tomorrow so I ended getting my pure from the lady who bought my house.

Unless Doug or Alex can come up with an answer I'll keep on going as I am for the time being as I can't justify spending hundreds on more equipment at the moment.

Cheers for the replies!

Unfortunately the Genie doesn't have an automatic cutoff like the Gardiner pump does. Tuffers has the PF system with the solenoid water cutoff valve. Once the water though the system stops, the electronic control box sense that and switches the pump off. I like that tbh.

If he went for the Genie then he would have to add a controller.

Sea Land Formula Press Automatic Pump Controller (293000107)

011 ppm isn't that bad Tuffers so I wouldn't worry that much. Looking at the figures it seems probably you have and HF4 membrane in there.

Water temp has dropped so this will effect ppm and production.

A booster pump will help but you need to weigh up the cost of running this.

011 ppm isn't that bad Tuffers so I wouldn't worry that much. Looking at the figures it seems probably you have and HF4 membrane in there.
Water temp has dropped so this will effect ppm and production.

A booster pump will help but you need to weigh up the cost of running this.
Would I be able to use a booster with either a HF4 or HF5?

Back