Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employee going sick at last minute

B

boarcity

heres a question for you

1 of my workers has been texting in sick recently, about 1 day every fortnight. iv been getting a text at the very last minute ,just before we start work. this is very inconvenient as it doesnt give me any chance to rearrange work,or get anybody in as a replacement. worker always comes in the following day with "im feeling better now ,doctor gave me blah blah blah"

am i within my rights to say " i need at least an hours notice of not coming in to work"

could i sack over this issue? i sense they fancy a day off in bed ,well howsabout you have a year cos ur going now you bloomin idiot,but maybe thats me being harsh. my workers sign a contract after 3 months when i take them on,unfortunately i didnt have anything to cover this issue drawn into it .

[ each time its a different medical excuse ]

Last edited:
Your well in your rights to introduce a sickness form. The employee will have to fill in stating dates and reason for sickness, was a doctor seen ect and what the reason for sickness was.

This will then create paper evidence for you and if a visible pattern forms you can then confront him and start issuing warnings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most places i have worked insist on a minimum notice period for informing them of your absence

If you want it in black and white add it into their contracts and give them the new one

Only downside is to change someone's contract you need to give 3 months notice in writing of the changes

Are they self employed that sub from you or are they employees as there is a big difference.

Boar, additonally, if they take more than X amount of days off sick within say 3 months, they go under review, and then you can say bye bye because theyre not fit for this business. its a perfectly good reason to sack someone. Not your problem if he's *ill* all the time.

If stated in a contract they can't argue as they have signed to agree

Subbies you have no loyalty to..you can just jog em on

heres a question for you
1 of my workers has been texting in sick recently, about 1 day every fortnight. iv been getting a text at the very last minute ,just before we start work. this is very inconvenient as it doesnt give me any chance to rearrange work,or get anybody in as a replacement. worker always comes in the following day with "im feeling better now ,doctor gave me blah blah blah"

am i within my rights to say " i need at least an hours notice of not coming in to work"

could i sack over this issue? i sense they fancy a day off in bed ,well howsabout you have a year cos ur going now you bloomin idiot,but maybe thats me being harsh. my workers sign a contract after 3 months when i take them on,unfortunately i didnt have anything to cover this issue drawn into it .

[ each time its a different medical excuse ]
come the bad weather it will get worse

Best you read up on what you have to do them bud as the last thing you want is to be taken to a tribunal. :thumbsup:

Couldn't we take on people with one of these zero hours contracts I keep hearing about, or just take people on self employed?

Boar,when hes sick are you having to pay him sick pay?
absolutely not .

i dont discuss this amongst my other workers, however theyv been grumbling big time today,as theyre having to carry the load of 1 worker short

+ im feeling it too, aching legs etc

absolutely not .i dont discuss this amongst my other workers, however theyv been grumbling big time today,as theyre having to carry the load of 1 worker short

+ im feeling it too, aching legs etc
I feel for you. What about holiday pay? I was just wondering as I always thought a certain amount had to be paid by any employer. Which is why I always thought people took people on as subbies in this game.

i pay holiday pay,bank holidays etc .

that reminds me , my other workers have asked can they work a few days over the Xmas week off [ paid holiday] . [for pay on top of the holiday pay]

any thoughts on this?

i pay holiday pay,bank holidays etc .
that reminds me , my other workers have asked can they work a few days over the Xmas week off [ paid holiday] . [for pay on top of the holiday pay]

any thoughts on this?
If you don't mind paying it, but most places would give extra time off to be taken later, my wife often works overtime and get time in lieu

Do they have permanent or part time contracts? Is there a probationary period when you take them on?

You need to tell him to grow the **** up or tell him go fuvk off. Unless his maladies are genuine.........

I would employ people with kids and rent to pay. Gotta put food on table and roof over heads innit.

had sumilar other day with lad who works for me, could,int get up in morning ,so I had good think about it decided if he canny get up now what chance has he got when the winter kicks in. good worker when he was there but not reliable so he had to go.

I don't get peoples attitude

Even the last few years working for (the man) i have not taken a day sick in over 6 years

It's the way i was brought up

Stay at home sick and miserable feeling sorry for yourself or man the **** up and go get paid while still feeling ill

People nowadays don't have any work ethic

Back