Working in the rain

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Luke Elliott, Apr 27, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Luke Elliott

Luke Elliott Active Member

I have my own policy so to speak on this one. I do work in the rain, to a point. I'm just curious to know what everyone else's view on it is.

If you do or not and the reasons?

As far as I see it if you are WFP then there are more reasons to continue than there are to stop. I won't list all the reasons but I actually see it as illogical to stop most of the time. I've slowly over the years trained my customers with this one and I make it a point to mention when I take on a new customer.

I'm sure it's been mentioned many times before but this is the first time I've joined a window cleaning forum so I'm just very curious.

Advertisement
  2. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Drizzle and very light rain, I'll work in. Or I'll duck and dive if I'm behind.

I have some fussy customers who still insist on trad, one in particular, I call the night before. Phoned last Wednesday night to let them know I'd be round in the morning, "ooh, it's raining" and this is 6pm the night before! They said they were going out, won't give me the gate code, so I said I'd do them on the Friday, meaning going out of my way. As it happened, it p!ssed down on Friday, so they have missed the boat. I nearly dumped them when the man said in a very pompous tone "not tomorrow, won't be here." I think he realised he was being a chunt and thanked me for my last clean of the conny roof. I have known them for 20 odd years, that's the problem. He was in tears and shaking when I turned up with my WFP gear the first time :D

3. Luke Elliott

Luke Elliott Active Member

Hahahaha I know exactly what you mean. I like to try to take an oppurtinst moment to explain to them up front why I can still clean in the rain. I also offer their next rainy clean at no charge if they aren't happy with it once it's dried off. Plus I'll come by and redo it again for free. So far it hasn't failed. But it's difficult when you've known customers for so long.

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

unless its a real downpour we keep working . non of my lot will wear coats either ,daft or wot , i wont either so im as bad as they are . manys the time weve driven home dripping wet

5. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

I just say look at your windows next time it rain. As long as it's not windy your windows will be dry unless I am cleaning them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

I will clean them in drizzle or light rain but not if its lashing down. Some customers are really fussy about the rain whilst some dont give a monkeys testicle. I have one lady customer who tells me, if ever its raining and I cant get anyones windows done, then I can go and do hers. Mind you, if you are trad and its lashing it down, there is no way you can do as good a job.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I work outdoors in light rain no problem but draw the line in heavy rain, high winds, thunder & lightning storms, snow and below zero temps.

8. TolishAPurd

Same as most others here, I'll work in light rain, but not a heavy downpour.

9. cheapncheerful

good post...Luke Elliott ..it is the most often mentioned thing about window cleaning....the number of custys who say....its bound to rain now you've been.....even if the forecast is great...i love a good forecast of rain so i can have a skive but if i start an area i tend to want to get it finished and so will carry on unless it is really bad....now of course at last i have full wet gear...not got my wellies in yet...:)

but please......dont mention weather forecasters.....:whistle:

10. mrtaytay

mrtaytay Grand Master

Some of my custies call me "the rainman"

Advertisement