Worried About Losing Customers

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by watty1980, Jul 10, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. watty1980

watty1980 Newcomer

hey guys first time poster here,and want some advice.as you well know the weather recently has been awful and I haven't been out working for the last fortnight due to the weather and I'm starting to get worried about losing customers,do you think I should chance it and clean the windows in the rain or ride it out and hope they understand why I haven't been round ? I've never cleaned in the rain as I've always been told that it always leads to hassle,but I'm starting to struggle financially and I have a wife and a wee boy to provide for,any advice would be very much appreciated thanks

Advertisement
  2. mr shine

mr shine Guru

hi watty i clean in light rain and so far no complaints maybe il get the odd crank that will moan so what . most reasonable people will understand and know that you have to earn a living to . stay in contact with your customers and you shouldnt loose many and if you loose a few they can be easily replaced by canvassing so take the chance and get back earning good luck anyway

3. Masons

Masons Guru

There is a another option you havent thought of.
    In these two weeks of not working and 'hoping' your customers understand. you havent contacted them all to give them a chabce to understand.

When I was experiencing trouble getting around my work 2years ago. I printed out a letter for each customer apologising for my absense and providing them with details allowing them to contact me regards what they wanted.
    I'd write in a letter for your case that you do have to earn money on a regular basis due to the fact you have a family to provide for. but also that you'll continue to clean the windows in drizzle/light rain but that as a professional you shall not clean windows in an instance where health and safety or quality of work will be compromised.

A full explanation of circumstances and goals of your business ALONG with an explanation of your UNDERSTANDING of your customers wants and needs will put you on good ground with them.

All this is my opinion and not probably what most would do.
    I did this and kept all my customers.

4. Lukeey

Lukeey Member

Always gonna get customers that will moan at stuff like that,
    and others that wont mind so much.

Just be ready to say, well have bills to pay etc...

You know best of what customers wont mind so much, try cleaning them first :)

5. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

I would chance it, Just done clean there windows in the rain all the time, try to make sure you only do it now and again. That way they dont take much notice. You will soon find out which window you can clean in the rain. If things are as bad as you say then just do it most people are more understanding than you think

6. chip

chip Guru

People will usually understand, at the end of the day, no one wants to work in rain, at certain times of the year, there's always a bit of dancing between the drops, snatching a few hours here and there, usually you wouldnt expect to do so in the summer, but it's been practically non stop since April. If they don't understand there's something seriously wrong with them

7. watty1980

watty1980 Newcomer

Hey guys thanks for the advice I'll take it on board,well i just got home from doing a few hours and the customers that were home didn't seem to mind.i just explained to them that I hadn't been out due to the weather but Money was getting tight,the ones I spoke to were really understanding,that doesn't mean to say the others will react in the same way,I Guess I'll just have to see how it goes and find out who minds and who doesn't,then avoid moaners on rainy days. This is my first cleaning round as I used to work for companys and didn't have anything to do with customer Side of things so it's all a bit new as I only bought the round a few months ago,any other advice you guys could share would be very much appreciated

8. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

How big is your round mate?

9. watty1980

watty1980 Newcomer

about 300 customers mate so it's not a huge round,i'm still getting to know the customers.only done them a few times and the weather wasn't anything like it's been just now,don't want them to think I'm a cowboy or that i'm unreliable

10. chip

chip Guru

Trust me, most Windys who are full time are falling behind in this, that aside my timing is often sporadic and very very few care.

Advertisement