Worth going along with a window cleaner to learn?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by buzzing, Jun 23, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. buzzing

buzzing Active Member

I live in Bournemouth and am not sure if anyone would take me along for a day and show me the wfp ladders etc . Is it better to ask someone from Slough who I met at a window cleaning festival? He lives in Slough and I would be no competition for him as I live too far. Just want to go through stuff like my squeegeeing technique using ladders and the wfp.

Should I say- Is it possible to come a long for a day to get an idea of the wfp system etc? What do u say to window cleaners to persuade them?

Advertisement
  2. koopmaster

koopmaster Guru

There's plenty of Windows to clean, just ask a local windy or if there is anyone on this forum who lives near you. The learning is easy it's the skill part that takes time to master. Ask about all the mistakes so you don't make too many of them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

If you can get out with someone it is a great idea. When i started i spent a day out with a local. It was great to learn some tricks and tips and helped me.

4. TolishAPurd

I personally wouldn't (and didn't) bother. There is plenty of info online to learn from, but more importantly, try to develop your own style. Lots of 'gurus' on the net with youtube accounts, but there is nothing special in what they do, so don't think that there way is the only way. Its nothing that can't be learnt on your own. Experience is something you will get in time, and there will likely be a few mistakes along the way, but once you get past that stage it all gets a lot easier. Do your own house for a few hours every night until you feel comfortable, and be sure to check your own work from the inside to see if you have gone wrong. Most of the time when someones windows look bad after a job its because the window cleaner tried to go too fast and got slack. Likewise you can spend too long striving for the perfect job and never make enough money. If you want recommendations and customer retention then you need to find a balance between speed and detail.

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I was just about to say if going out with someone local you could also pick up their bad habits too like unsafe working practices. Especially trad work using ladders as some take unnecessary risks just to get the job done.

6. cheapncheerful

er i still learning..:rofl:

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

At lest you know your are unlike some muppets I seen working today.

8. cheapncheerful

i did one house for ages....and then one day it dawned on me if i moved my ladder another three inches...i could reach another window and cut out a climb..
    i was just stepping onto a flat porch roof but why it took me so long to see the obvious i dont know :D

any hey very soon wfp a whole new stick waggling experience...

9. TolishAPurd

Agreed smurf^. The amount of times you get someone bragging about how long they've been in the job, only to watch their ****sloppy technique. Then I end up thinking- that's __years you've been doing a crappy job on the windows.

Are you going WFP CnC?

10. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I'm not going there TolishAPurd but I do know what you mean.:D
    Old school cleaners are the worst for taking risks aren’t they you naught boy cheapncheerful.:rolleyes:

Advertisement