Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What size van for 1000 litre tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mr and Mrs window cleaner

Hi there,

We are looking to replace our 650 litre tank to a 1000 litre tank in our short wheelbase Toyota Hiace so that two men can work from the van. However, we are unsure if our existing van can carry it. Do you know if it would?

Unfortunately the V5C doc doesn't tell us what the revenue weight is so we're playing a guessing game.

We are considering replacing the Hiace with a Vivaro but would prefer to wait later in the year for that purchase if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jo

Ime guessing you will need a van with a minimum payload of 1400kg , as it's not just the weight of the water , there will be the extra person , hose reels , poles, and any other equipment you use . I have a 1000 ltr hot system , 4 hose reels , 6 poles , trad gear , extra people , full fuel tank , and odds and ends in a renault master the payload is 1640kg I didn't want a renault but there are very few vans with sufficient payload to carry all this kit unless you go 4 tonn + . Sprinters payload is about 1240kg which isn't enough most other vans that are suitable for that size of system have a payload between 12000 - 1400kg which is cutting it very fine running legal first thing in the morning

3500 kg Van category.

We have a number of 2 man teams using vans with 650 liter tanks. Perhaps you need to look at water management as a way of reducing water consumption rather than the cost of a new van and tank.

3 of the 2 person teams locally use wfp controllers and univalves to reduce waste water.

I haven't an issue with water usage now, but over the years have found that to get a good rinse flow I waste a lot of water in the scrubbing phase window cleaning.

Something like this could also work

Liquid Logic™ 3 Button - Wash/Rinse - Radio Control Ultimate Controller (not HW) - SALE - Sale Items Gardiner Pole Systems

I like this idea although I don't know how practical it would be in its application.

I find with 2/3 operatives we still run out with 1000 ltr when doing commercial work after about 6 hours or so depending on the type of work , with 2 of us on domestic windows for 8 hours we normally come home with 150/175 ltr if doing plastics again I find we can run out after 6 hours or so we don't wast water and use univalves , I tend to agree when doing a lot of scrubbing on very dirty jobs maybe more water is used during the scrubbing process than is needed but I look at it that it's getting the dirt of the object so hopefully there will be less rinsing required

I find with 2/3 operatives we still run out with 1000 ltr when doing commercial work after about 6 hours or so depending on the type of work , with 2 of us on domestic windows for 8 hours we normally come home with 150/175 ltr if doing plastics again I find we can run out after 6 hours or so we don't wast water and use univalves , I tend to agree when doing a lot of scrubbing on very dirty jobs maybe more water is used during the scrubbing process than is needed but I look at it that it's getting the dirt of the object so hopefully there will be less rinsing required
Or do as our local cowboy does. Gets to a window, scrubs it with his wet brush from the window before with no water flow and then a quick rinse. Manages all day with 2 x 25 liter plastic barrels in the boot of his car.

W.

Or do as our local cowboy does. Gets to a window, scrubs it with his wet brush from the window before with no water flow and then a quick rinse. Manages all day with 2 x 25 liter plastic barrels in the boot of his car.
W.T.F:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,
We are looking to replace our 650 litre tank to a 1000 litre tank in our short wheelbase Toyota Hiace so that two men can work from the van. However, we are unsure if our existing van can carry it. Do you know if it would?

Unfortunately the V5C doc doesn't tell us what the revenue weight is so we're playing a guessing game.

We are considering replacing the Hiace with a Vivaro but would prefer to wait later in the year for that purchase if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jo
Hi the first thing i would do is ring my insurance company. There are very few company's offering cover over 650.

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone.

At the moment, we use 350-400 litre in 6 hours cleaning windows and frames of between 35-40 small to medium sized houses.

We didn't think that our 650lt tank would be enough but following your advice will convert it to dual use and see how we go before we upgrade the van. We clearly need to find ways to save water...

@spruce what does that item in the link do that's additional to the univalve and contolller? We've got both but would be interested in that extra item if it saved water further.

@Chris Dall saw one of those vans today and they're truly massive! /emoticons/wink.png
Went from a Long wheel base trafic, the new one has sensors so you get used to it after a while, the o out time it can be a little pain is on right driveways

Back