Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

MASONS: Bedding in new scrims thread.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Masons

So I keep losing scrims at jobs as I'm forgetful about where I put things and drop them all the time too.

I bought 5 new gradeA scrims and I know, like many of you do, that they aren't half as absorbent as they should and they leave fibres everywhere.

This is my two-peneth on the matter.

Firstly I wash them a time or two with my other cloths, and then one by one use them for a day or two (depending on day), along with my sill-cloth to mop up sills and wipe frames.

From using this method my cloths are pretty good for using as scrims and I only use a golden oldie to quickly wipe stray fibres on leaded windows here and there.

If problems persist with them not being absorbent and what not keep using them as sill cloths, should bed them in nicely.

Additional thoughts and criticism welcome.

If you like my thread and find it useful, please rate it at the top of the page accordingly.

Thanks for reading.

I would never use a scrim to wipe sills.. Scrims are not cheap, and on e you wipe the first sill, then you need to go get another scrim.. Why not just wash them 2 or 3 times first?

I have been using micro clothes from £1 land, 4 clothes for £1.. Then are brilliant for sills

"Scrims are not cheap".

No, but seen as mine last me years, I don't see I'm doing anything wrong.

I don't use them for sill jobs after they're bedded in.

I'm saying to bed them in for scrim work, I use them for sills for a day or two along with a sill cloth.

I also said "Firstly I wash them a time or two with my other cloths".

So yes I do wash them a few times, but that doesn't always do the trick.

sound a bit complicated you can buy pre washed scrims, dunno what they're like though, i just used to boil mine for an hour & spot on, i would never bother with 1 type for windows & 1 for sills

in the last 10yrs ive bought 30 scrims, buy 10 cut em in half & forget about it for a few years

/emoticons/mellow.png

I NEVER USE THEM FOR SILLS APART FROM WHEN I'M BEDDING THEM IN!!

Once they're bedded in they're good as good for SCRIMMING!!

Am I typing English or are people not reading properly?

Save my time by not contributing if people can't read.

First it's Harunh typing like an 8 year old, now people have the reading ability of an 8 year old.

Harunh, I apologise whole-heartedly as obviously more people understand your vowel deficient, z-happy type.

When did this country go so downhill?

I don't have the foggiest idea myself.

Children born today will in 10 years have as much trouble reading English as they do with reading Egyptian Hieroglyphics!

/emoticons/mellow.png

I NEVER USE THEM FOR SILLS APART FROM WHEN I'M BEDDING THEM IN!!

Once they're bedded in they're good as good for SCRIMMING!!

Am I typing English or are people not reading properly?

Save my time by not contributing if people can't read.

First it's Harunh typing like an 8 year old, now people have the reading ability of an 8 year old.

Harunh, I apologise whole-heartedly as obviously more people understand your vowel deficient, z-happy type.

When did this country go so downhill?

I don't have the foggiest idea myself.

Children born today will in 10 years have as much trouble reading English as they do with reading Egyptian Hieroglyphics!
what are you on about ?????????

So what you saying is after a few uses and washes, they last longer?

I had no idea!!

There I was, thinking about getting news ones, only used mine for less then a month lol and thinking there not lasting long.

So no wonder lol, now I get it!!

Its not that they don't last long per say, I find that new unwashed scrims are firmer and wiry and when running the edges, and new scrim wont really remove all the water the way a worn in scrim will. If you buy pre-washed scrims the are softer and absorb more the water from the edges, achieving better results.

IMO Anyway.

Ladder

Hmm, went down to the window cleaning shop today, they said they are selling less scrims now as they said they have this very fine microfibre cloths and normal microfibre cloths.

Fine one for the windows, normal ones for sills...

Latest Posts

Back