Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Time To Get My **** In Gear

CNS-southwest

They are about to make redundancies in my current office job.

Time to get cracking a bit earlier than expected me thinks.

Think ill push gutter cleans this side of winter.

Dave

Make sure you feel comfortable working at height using ladders as safety as possible as it's a very dangerous ocupation to undertake just to earn an extra few quid. You want to see your kids grow up so be extremly careful what you take on.

This guy at the age of 24 fell 10 feet that changed his life ...make sure you hear all of his story as is a wakeup call for all of us.

[media]

[/media]

Make sure you feel comfortable working at height using ladders as safety as possible as it's a very dangerous ocupation to undertake just to earn an extra few quid. You want to see your kids grow up so be extremly careful what you take on.
This guy at the age of 24 fell 10 feet that changed his life ...make sure you hear all of his story as is a wakeup call for all of us.

[media]

Seen it before, but thank you.

I understand the risk involved (which lets face it, is minimal considering the number of trades that use them).

I am hoping to get a gutter vac eventually to reduce the risk as I wont need to go up so often.

Also I wot be using a ladder doing trad, it'll be on a Harris.

Also ill be making my own ladder stop which I will prefer to the bought ones as my design is rather good if I say so myself /emoticons/smile.png

Seen it before, but thank you.

I understand the risk involved (which lets face it, is minimal considering the number of trades that use them).

I am hoping to get a gutter vac eventually to reduce the risk as I wont need to go up so often.

Also I wot be using a ladder doing trad, it'll be on a Harris.

Also ill be making my own ladder stop which I will prefer to the bought ones as my design is rather good if I say so myself /emoticons/smile.png
Be interesting to see that Dave.

Lol basically wood shaped like a open rectangular box, except the back has two additional boxes (one each side) which hold my 2x25l water containers, and te wood will have grippy rubber stud glues to the underside and to te area where the ladder rests.

Not sure if that makes sense. Might draw it up google sketch later if I get a chance.

What? /emoticons/ohmy.png

Suggest you stop messing about with diy stuff just to save a few quid and get yourself one of these and attach the ankalad permanently to the ladder. /emoticons/wink.png

http://www.laddersaf...tabiliser.shtml

stab3big.jpg

The Ankalad Ladder Stabiliser

An Ankalad Stabiliser secures a ladder in much the same way as stabilisers secure a child's first bike.

Correctly positioned it's impossible for the ladder to slide down the wall or side over sideways due to over-reaching - which is the real killer and cause of 9 out of 10 accidents.

Ankalad weighs just 3.6kg (8lbs) and is built to a high quality using the finest materials, namely annodised aluminium, zinc plated steel, brass, stainless steel and nylon mouldings.

If you use ladders, or if you employ people to use your ladders, can you afford NOT to use Ankalad?

• Fits any wooden or aluminium ladder of 1, 2 or 3 sections

• Very high quality

• Extremely strong, yet very light

• Provides a safe reach of up to 26ft against a solid structure and up to 14ft free standing

• Folds away flat when not in use

• Adjustable telescopic legs with easy find locking buttons to cater for un-even ground

• Totally eliminates ladder 'bounce'

• Makes extending your ladder much easier

• Will TOTALLY stop your ladder from sliding down a wall or toppling sideways

Then get yourself one of these

microlarge.jpg

The Microlite

This is the ultimate Class 1 Industrial stand-off that instantly secures ladders at the top before climbing up. The Microlite is particularly suitable for painting and fitting trades.

Unlike most stand-off devices the Microlite, due to its innovative design, can stay attached to extension ladders even when they are fully closed.

The Microlite utilises 'D' wheels which deform when under pressure to provide a secure contact with any surface.

The Microlite also provides a unique roof access system.

• 'D' Wheels

• Higher reach and safe handhold

• Roof access system

• Quick fitting

• Single-piece design

• Fits timber or aluminimum ladders

• Lightweight.

http://www.laddersaf...microlite.shtml

They are a great bit of kit to go on any ladder for cleaning/clearing guttering etc /emoticons/wink.png

If you are going to get into gutter cleaning spend out on the right safety kit for the job.... Simples

Then get yourself one of these

microlarge.jpg

The Microlite

This is the ultimate Class 1 Industrial stand-off that instantly secures ladders at the top before climbing up. The Microlite is particularly suitable for painting and fitting trades.

Unlike most stand-off devices the Microlite, due to its innovative design, can stay attached to extension ladders even when they are fully closed.

The Microlite utilises 'D' wheels which deform when under pressure to provide a secure contact with any surface.

The Microlite also provides a unique roof access system.

• 'D' Wheels

• Higher reach and safe handhold

• Roof access system

• Quick fitting

• Single-piece design

• Fits timber or aluminimum ladders

• Lightweight.

http://www.laddersaf...microlite.shtml

They are a great bit of kit to go on any ladder for cleaning/clearing guttering etc /emoticons/wink.png
hate to say it even that ladder stand off dont comply to H&S! lol

Don't talk shite rc it's a class 1 rated product /emoticons/biggrin.png
im not talking shhh it might be class 1 rated product, but with the H&S you can not just step off a ladder onto a roof like that

Yer cos I won't be on the roof /emoticons/tongue.png

However as the OP I give RC the go ahead

Smurf - I still think mine is Safer than that thing, that was 8lbs. Mine will have 50kgs holding it steady

But if you could tell me what flaws mine has, that would help me to improve it.

Upto you what you use at the end of the day cns but from my experience cleaning gutters by hand using an ankalad & microlite attached to a ladder is the safest method i have found while working on my own apart from drilling holes in ppl walls and using a ladder fall arrest system. Therfore guess you will have to find out what kind of kit you need to use like i did as most jobs you will find are not as straight forward as you may think.

For instance:

How would you safely foot the ladder securly on slippery surfaces like decking, patio slabs etc?

How would you safely postition the top of the ladder when the guttering overhangs (deep soffits)?

How would you safely postition the top of the ladder when window frames are in the way?

How would you safely position the top of the ladder on a corner of a building?

The answer is simple use an ankalad to stabilise the ladder, stop the ladder slipping backwards/sideways also take the bounce out of the ladder & use a microlite stand-off (resting on the roof) or for corners use the V when safe to do so.

Keep an eye on ebay as you may be lucky to pickup a mircolite & ankalad cheap like i did /emoticons/wink.png

Had not thought of deep soffit.

So that link there, will that space you out from the wall so that you can get into the gutters?

Cheers mate

Back