Your first year as a window cleaner

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Ryan, May 22, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Ryan

Ryan Guest

How was your first year as a window cleaner did you look back and think wow what a ride or did you think mmm this is risky stuff lol:)

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

I loved every minute of it even the cold days. So sad i had to let it go ;)

3. harunh

harunh Legend

Awhh, Gav hopefully you can get back in to it 1 day :p

4. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

First year was hard - but good.

first day I went out there was 2" of snow on the ground, all Traditional - Aluminium ladders, and the Bucket on a belt wasnt round then.

then came spring - it was sooooo worth hanging in there.

Started with a handful of customers, but after 6 months never had to worry about having enough work - just getting round it.

Back then, I was single & living with mum & dad - so didnt really have pressure to earn loads - and developed a bad habit of starting too late in day, and not finishing until 7 ish.
    That's all changed now though - early start, and sometimes an early finish.

Must say sometimes I think of how simple cleaning was then - bucket, ladder & squeegee set. Don't get me wrong - I would never go back to the ladder by choice, but when I have a pole jam, pump stop, hose start to leak............ it makes you think.

5. Paul

Paul Guest

Im still there, it's gonna be a hard slog but I'm up for it, I want a business to be proud of hopefully one day :)

6. Ryan

Ryan Guest

ya i'm 3 months in now and enjoying it a lot
    picking up a customers every week iv started so happy with that
    iv got a target to get over 1k a month income this year which i hopfully can hit i know its small compared to you guys but i got to start somewhere lol

and filter out all the messers

picked up £30 of new work today so happy days :]

7. harunh

harunh Legend

Ryan thats good, Your customers will build up and build up, you might lose one... but you will get 2 new customers in return - Thats the way i see it lol

Its good to have a target, 1K is a good target, you will get more closer to it day by day :)

£30.00 is good, I picked up £34.00 worth of work today aswell.

Happy times :) :D :)

8. Shaun1977

Shaun1977 Forum Addict

Yeah the key is binning the messers

9. laddergarder

When I first started I was working in a shop 30 hours a week, 6am to 1pm three days, then 1pm to 8pm Friday and Saturday. So I when out 1pm to 6pm, the days during the week, and 8am to 1pm on Fridays & Saturdays, as well as working 8am to 6pm on my day off. So I was basically doing 12 hours a day 6 days a week between the two of them.

There was times when I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a window cleaner, and then there was times when I didn't know if I should work in the rain, or stop, and I hated the turmoil of it. I still do a bit, but I am much more relaxed about it now. But my wife gave me the encouragement I needed to push on with it. A year later, I was making more money with the window cleaning, than I was working in the shop.

The shop was Woolworths, that went under shortly after my first year, I had a mortgage and everything to pay, and felt like I had just dodged a bullet, god knows where I would be if it wasn't for window cleaning. Now five years later, I feel privileged to be a window cleaner, I love the live, the freedom, the responsibility of having my own team, and never haven't to deal with a boss, that treats you like your worthless or speaks to you like your beneath them. I also never have to miss the important things in life because I cant get a holiday, if I need knock off early to go to a family meal, I can.

10. harunh

harunh Legend

^^^ I like ^^^

Advertisement