Your Most Awkward Customer/Situation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by James, Feb 6, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. James

James Guru

What's been your most awkward customer (don't name names), just what happend and how you solved the problem, or an awkward situation you've had in this line of business?

For me it would have to be one of my friends, he worked with me for a day just to get him out of the house for a couple of hours. Unfortunately for him he dropped a set of my ladders onto a very expensive porsche making a slight dent and a nice scratch on the side of the car. I had to sort the issue out with the customer and sort an arrangement out with my friend. I must point out that we are still friends to this day, infact I'm having a pint with him in an hour ;)

James.

Advertisement
  2. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

never really had an awkward moment with an existing customer but you talking about the car reminded me when i crashed my van into someone after sorting the insurance details out i gave them a card and ended up taking them on as a regular customer which eventually paid my excess lol

3. James

James Guru

haha as if! Quite handy in a strange way then.

James.

4. jambo113

jambo113 Guest

yer still lost my 3 years ncb thow worth more to me

5. laddergarder

Personally I don't think you should have charge your friend, if you had him working for you using ladders with no safety training, in my opinion, it should be your responsibility. If any of my staff cause accidental damages, we pay for it, and if the damages are costly, we can claim our insurance.

The most awkward is kind of hard, one that comes to mind is...

I started this woman's windows and after cleaning we never closed her gate. Now in fairness to us the gate was damaged and only on one hinge, we did pull it shut but the snib wasn't lined up with the hole, so we left it. Any way, so I went and started her neighbour, and looked over, and seen her coming out in her morning coat, and she growled up at me, then proceeded to wrestle with the gate herself. So I came down and apologised for not locking it, she then smiled and said it was fine, and asked us to come back for the money.

That evening I came back, no lights on, no answer at the door. So I walked back up the street for the van, then as I was driving back down, the lights were on, so gave her another go, but nope, she wouldn't answer the door. I could see the TV was on through the living room window.

So the next day I was back in the same area, and decided to see if I could catch her in, off guard, she came to the door this time, and I asked her for the money for the windows. But she proceeded to tell me, that someone else came by and collected the money, and she was not paying it twice.

I tried explaining if she has been a victim of fraud, it has no bearing on what she owes to us, and she should contact the police, but her payment would still be outstanding, she said no that's your problem not mine, I am not paying you. I asked her was it maybe her last cleaner, she said no, what did he look like, she gave a description, I then said we wear uniforms, with our logo all over them and you spoke to me personally and asked me to come back, did you not think something was off, Oh well it was my daughter who paid him. Oh yeah, she just happened to mention that detailed description to you after paying him, did she.

I gave her an invoice, and haven't been paid, so haven't cleaned them since.

6. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

how much she owe you

7. Masons

Masons Guru

I agree with laddergarder on JP's post.

I would never take someone on just to get them out the house.
    Imagine if dropping the ladder had landed on the persons daughter...

As for awkward situations, I have a ton, I'll give it a think for my best.

8. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

My son said to me the other day he would like to come out with me in the school holidays, i said no way, i'm insured, if you were out with me, you wouldnt be insured, what if something happens?. So i agree with laddergarder too, you shouldnt have had your mate out with you without insurance, way too risky!.
    I got a phone call from a woman keen to get her windows cleaned, she gave me directions so i could go and have a look. I followed her instructions, had a look round this big bungalow with filthy windows. It was a fine day and i had time to spare, so i decided to clean them (seeing as she was so keen), in the hope she would be happy with the price and the job i made of them. Turned out, it wasnt her house, it was her neighbours house i cleaned!. I did think about commenting on her instructions, but seing as i have now started doing her house, which was an even bigger bungalow, i didnt bother!.

9. laddergarder

I've had a customer ask to me clean a neighbours windows. The neighbour didn't pay me, and the customer actually said to me a few month later, they want you to start doing them again, but I would forget about the time you cleaned them a few months back.

Now if I am asked that, I tell them, I can do it, but its for you, and you are liable for the bill not your neighbour. If your not happy with that, then your neighbour has to speak to us, and request the work, before we can do then for them.

10. Posh

Posh Hero

The custy that don't pay and avoids you. That's my most awkard one.

Advertisement