Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stately home clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

M

MarkBerry

Hi there can anyone be of assistance please. I have to price up cleaning the windows on a stately home. 71 windows all georgian, the biggest windows having 12 panes of glass in them, but the headache is how do I price it up. Please help.

hi it does bring back memories of doing one but its so long ago...at the end of the day ....its all about how long and how much you want...it doesnt really matter if its a stately home or not..but of course you must smurf the price a bit....:rofl: good luck and dont forget to say yes m'lord or lady....and clean socks...

hi it does bring back memories of doing one but its so long ago...at the end of the day ....its all about how long and how much you want...it doesnt really matter if its a stately home or not..but of course you must smurf the price a bit....:rofl: good luck and dont forget to say yes m'lord or lady....and clean socks...
And don't hammer the wrong chandelier :rofl:

3-4 pounds per window since big homes rarely have a regular wcleaner. And then don't forget to add a '25% potential arsehole charge.'

And don't hammer the wrong chandelier :rofl:
stop making me laugh i gotta go to bed....save it for tomorrow...i think i am a bit like rodney at times.....especially after the rocking chair incident...

i had to laugh today whilst putting my ladders on i heard the theme to batman and robin blastin out and looked to the road to see a del boy van passing...i think they hire it out...it made me laugh though....:rofl:

Yes a stately home off ladders, he wants the windows cleaned traditional. I think he wants to see me sweat.

I will have to remember to add the 25% potential arsehole charge in future :laugh:

3-4 pounds per window since big homes rarely have a regular wcleaner. And then don't forget to add a '25% potential arsehole charge.'

Hi there can anyone be of assistance please. I have to price up cleaning the windows on a stately home. 71 windows all georgian, the biggest windows having 12 panes of glass in them, but the headache is how do I price it up. Please help.
Have fun with that job. You have to zone out as it will take a lot of time, so the suggested pricing sounds good 3-4 pound a window plus 25%. I have one house with mostly georgian windows that is only done every 3 months, takes two people 4 hours to do and charge £110, which includes the charge for not being a nice customer. Owner and wife puff their cheeks at price each time. They dont like wfp, as the "water gets into the wood". They dont mind it on veluxs though.

A month later after cleaning the house, I was working across the road and the owner came and spoke to me and said I must have missed a window as it was covered in detergent or something. I quite firmly let him know that it had been cleaned as I have someone footing the ladder on his slimy slabs. I went and cleaned the window, birds must have rolled in mud and decided to cover all 12 panes and thankfully he had jet washed his patio. He had gone out, but I left him a small note of what it was. I'm still fizzing about it, due there again end of this month, arrrghhhh, maybe I will charge him £4 plus 25% for that window and 30% for not being a nice bloke, such fun!

Another house that has georgian that I have takes two people two and half hours and done monthly, is charged £90. I use wfp for two windows above entrance, as not accesible that well with ladders, rest done trad and I also use fine weave microfibre cloths for 1st floor windows a lot quicker n seems to do a good job so far.

So let’s get this straight your customer had his patio pressure washed after you cleaned the windows that was not due for another 2 months so he tried pulling a fast one?

Myself I would have charged to reclean the window frames & glass and even added an arsehole charge for telling porkies./emoticons/biggrin.png

Have fun with that job. You have to zone out as it will take a lot of time, so the suggested pricing sounds good 3-4 pound a window plus 25%. I have one house with mostly georgian windows that is only done every 3 months, takes two people 4 hours to do and charge £110, which includes the charge for not being a nice customer. Owner and wife puff their cheeks at price each time. They dont like wfp, as the "water gets into the wood". They dont mind it on veluxs though.A month later after cleaning the house, I was working across the road and the owner came and spoke to me and said I must have missed a window as it was covered in detergent or something. I quite firmly let him know that it had been cleaned as I have someone footing the ladder on his slimy slabs. I went and cleaned the window, birds must have rolled in mud and decided to cover all 12 panes and thankfully he had jet washed his patio. He had gone out, but I left him a small note of what it was. I'm still fizzing about it, due there again end of this month, arrrghhhh, maybe I will charge him £4 plus 25% for that window and 30% for not being a nice bloke, such fun!

Another house that has georgian that I have takes two people two and half hours and done monthly, is charged £90. I use wfp for two windows above entrance, as not accesible that well with ladders, rest done trad and I also use fine weave microfibre cloths for 1st floor windows a lot quicker n seems to do a good job so far.

Dont think the pressure washer had caused dirt on 1st floor window as he had just been cleanin it that am n lower windows were clean. i tried takin photo of it at the time didnt come out that well. he said he had just been in the room that am n noticed it, after a month! only technically worth £30 a month to income so would drop it, but its a tight country community that i get a fair income .monthly, 8&12weekly. hope that sounds clear. Boo hoo. Feel trapped a bit with it. But thats life tho somtimes,no easy, will treat it like a challenge to win;-)

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Oh i got a nice comment from a new customer with a large bungalow the other day,2nd time i had cleaned it, her n hubby said they have never had their windows look so good, last windy cleanr just cleaned the glass, frames were filthy took 2n half hours to do then just over hour next time. Thats my type of customer:)

Gusts of wind can easily carry pressure washer overspray onto top windows too. Anyhow besides that their windows are not going to stay clean for 1 month let alone 3 months now are they? If customers don't contact me within 24 hours after a clean with any issues they may have then tough luck they will have to pay again. May I add no one as of yet has ever needed to call me.

Thanks smurf. If i told him he could complain the phone wouldnt stop ringin. I will get him to do a visual check when im finished n sign of a disclaimer. He obviously thinks he can cast the blame on the lowly window cleaner, typical man!!!

It's not about customers complaning anytime they feel like it but makes sure that a-holes like that knows that they make sure they are satisfied with each clean after it's completed (excluding bird strikes & **** afterwards) as after 24 hours is up they will have to pay again to call you out.

In the small small print include jetwashing, adverse weather conditons, building work, painting, blaa blaa too just to cover your own ****.

You are in business to make money not go cap in hand to a-holes like that so put him straight and if he dosn't like it best tell him to go do one /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of these Georgian houses. one has six windows on one side (standard Georgian) about 7ft tall, 4 ft across with twelve pains - takes me about half an hour. This is about two thirds of the house, the rest are tiny windows, probably pre-Georgian. So, half an hour for six windows, I'd say £12 making £2 each. the other house I have is eleven windows, but slightly smaller, takes me a bit longer. You have to take into account your travelling cost for your stately home, mine are in a local village, and so I'd charge for time, say, £15 an hour, and £3 per window. If you are using wfp system, be careful that the water does not run inside upwards between the top portion and the bottom, as these will be sash windows.

Back