Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Standoff

tench0771

i new it would come in handy some time just cleared the gutter
10445464_1430837113844951_4119389693665439925_n.jpg

A mircolite standoff is the best for roofline work but if setting the ladder on an angle like that is still very dodgy as the ladder could slip backwards.

i new it would come in handy some time just cleared the gutter
10445464_1430837113844951_4119389693665439925_n.jpg

i stamped the feet in the grass so it wouldent slip i should have put the foot the ladder on realy but i felt it was safe anouth i would have pefered a microlite standoff rather than a standerd one tho as the roof tiles would b safer but its a very handy bit of kit ive used it 5 or 6 times now an its ace bit of kit:)

Pity you did not try to put it on as I would have been intereting to find out if a foot the ladder would have worked on that angle as looks like it only adjusts a small amount.

yeh i really really must get a standoff.....squashing the gutter makes it very hard to get the cr. ap out....

now if you had seen the angle that the windys had the ladder at yesterday to do a job near me...well someone was footing it and i was dying to take a photo but he knew i was watching..../emoticons/smile.png

Something like this maybe?... old vid but still very funny /emoticons/biggrin.png

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

yeh i really really must get a standoff.....squashing the gutter makes it very hard to get the cr. ap out....
now if you had seen the angle that the windys had the ladder at yesterday to do a job near me...well someone was footing it and i was dying to take a photo but he knew i was watching..../emoticons/smile.png

To be honest I binned my old standoff similar to that as found it down right dangerous to rest it on fascias like that.

haha yes i will get a microlite some time an a ankelidstabliser:rolleyes:/emoticons/biggrin.png here is the max angle u can have the foot the ladder not idel for gutter cleaning but good for standerd wc cleaning on wet wood deckin an slipery floring an stuff:p:cool:

10385567_1431146287147367_337247294569993771_n.jpg

Nice one...that foot the ladder looks a handy bit of kit for trad window cleaning /emoticons/wink.png

u can put the foot the ladder a run up an it will acomadate steps if there in the way or if the drive is a steep ish angle

Smurf- what length and make of ladders is that in the picture please? I dont have a microlite standoff, but I have one of these http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/more-ladders/ladder-accessories/ladder-stays-and-standoffs/ladderfix-the-compact.html I like it as just gives you a bit of breathing room without having your face against the glass. Got mine of ebay for £30 pounds.

Can you put a lot of weight on the microlite standoff, like all your weight when working on roof tiles when doing a dormer window? As I use a standoff that bolts on, to do a few dormer windows a bit like the window in your picture of window above slates, but sash windows, the one I have is almost identical to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abru-45020-Ladder-Stand-Off/dp/B002EL4M20/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1402093872&sr=8-7&keywords=ladder+standoff

The problem with the bolts is they can snap, like they did with the person I bought my round off, as putting too much weight on it. Have to use it to clear the gutters and have to put ladder at a silly angle to reach them, custy dont want reach and wash. If the microlite standoff can take body weight i'm about 15 stone:eek:. Then might try and sell my two other standoffs to fund the microlite. thanks:)

After all its not called a stand-on, but a standoff. I have managed to get most of custys to accept reach and wash with dormer windows.

It's a 12 rung combi triple http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-12-Rung-Combi-Combination-Extension-Triple-Treble-3-Section-Multi-Step-Ladder-/310701016266?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&var=&hash=item48573944ca#ht_4251wt_1141

To be honest those straps a bloody annoying and mine eventually came off as I kept trapping them under the ladder whilst clamping them down on the roof bars because the treads of the ladder rungs are quite sharp so eventually cut through them. Oops!

The microlite standoff is the only class 1 rated standoff that can go on roof tiles in the UK. As was designed for safe transistion from a normal ladder to a roofing (cat) ladder. After saying that the load rating was for a normal ladder set at the 1 in 4 rule. Using a ladder on actute angles puts added stress on the ladder, microlite standoff also the ladder can kick backwards.

Smurf- what length and make of ladders is that in the picture please? I dont have a microlite standoff, but I have one of these http://www.laddersalesdirect.co.uk/more-ladders/ladder-accessories/ladder-stays-and-standoffs/ladderfix-the-compact.html I like it as just gives you a bit of breathing room without having your face against the glass. Got mine of ebay for £30 pounds.
Can you put a lot of weight on the microlite standoff, like all your weight when working on roof tiles when doing a dormer window? As I use a standoff that bolts on, to do a few dormer windows a bit like the window in your picture of window above slates, but sash windows, the one I have is almost identical to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abru-45020-Ladder-Stand-Off/dp/B002EL4M20/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1402093872&sr=8-7&keywords=ladder standoff

The problem with the bolts is they can snap, like they did with the person I bought my round off, as putting too much weight on it. Have to use it to clear the gutters and have to put ladder at a silly angle to reach them, custy dont want reach and wash. If the microlite standoff can take body weight i'm about 15 stone:eek:. Then might try and sell my two other standoffs to fund the microlite. thanks:)

After all its not called a stand-on, but a standoff. I have managed to get most of custys to accept reach and wash with dormer windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back